Can stock mufflers stay???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21Turner

Reaction score
The question I have is can you take the muffler off under the bike by the center stand and keep the stock exhaust pipes?

The question I have is can you take the muffler off under the bike by the center stand and keep the stock exhaust pipes?

You can pull the stock muffs off and just have the straight pipes or install a slip-on type of muffler.

If you do remove them there are the (4) pipe clamps, the (2) bolts under the riders pegs AND another mount way up underneath....that's the one that everyone forgets. You need to search for it, and be careful when you remove it....it all other hangers are loose it will come crashing down....it's very hard to hold up from the angle you'll be working from.

The "muffler" as you refer to it, consists of a large collector and the two mufflers by the rear passenger pegs. This is all one large, heavy piece. The exhaust pipes (4 of them) from the cylinder heads, to the collector are the only thing that would be left if you remove the "muffler". Here is a pic of the stock exhaust with the stock muffler setup.

$(KGrHqUOKi8E2Wb6GqMlBN0,lKP84Q~~_12.JPG

Here is a picture of just the "muffler" setup.

!B)rQdl!!2k~$(KGrHqF,!isEw4+sl9TWBMOiI3KsTw~~_12.JPG

You could remove the "muffler" but you would then have a set of open exhaust pipes coming straight from the cylinder head. You would need to purchase an aftermarket slip on exhaust like supertrapps or similar. Here is a pic of the stock exhaust pipes with supertrapp slip ons.

$(KGrHqYOKioE16Fo8DHOBNj35WqN0Q~~_12.JPG

Mike thanks alot great pictures to help out the inexperienced ones like me!! If only this was a small block chevy!! That I can handle!! LOL

Get some Holeshot's and it'll sound like a big-block chevy...people tell me all the time my bike sounds like a 454 or 502 or 460 or whatever big-block they're used to.

Slip ons do nothing for power(anyone claiming otherwise is BSing you), the only "performance" aspect is that they save a considerable amount of weight....the stock muffler is a total brick....you can easily lose 25-30lbs or so with slip on cans. And the sound/appearance, that's the only benefit. To get power gains, you need a full system....the stock headers are where the restriction is.

A full system and jet kit can get you to the 120+ level pretty easily. With stock headers it's tough to top 115 (stock)

Mike thanks alot great pictures to help out the inexperienced ones like me!! If only this was a small block chevy!! That I can handle!! LOL

it is a small block . minus 4 cylinders LOL
get a kerker 4 into 1
it's like running a set of hooker headers.

Back