Car Tire on a Vmax rim??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnthmn87

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of, or done, or seen a car tire put on the rear rim of a vmax, specifically the 86(i dunno if others are different). I know of people who've done it on other bikes, like Honda PC's, and Goldwings and gotten up to 20,000 miles out of a tire:clapping:. I just burned a regular motorcycle tire up in 3-4 months, about 3,000 miles:bang head: and wanna try a car tire. The only concern was if the bead of a car tire would seal on an 86 vmax rim? anybody?:confused2:

the bead is much wider on a car tire then a motorcycle tire. you would need to machine off the locking feature of the wheel to make it work. Then you would need a VW tire (160/80/15) for the fitment. Maybe a M/T front runner. I've got a car slick mounted up on an older vmax wheel.

Sean

likely going to cost a lot and cause drivability issues to boot... might not be worth the cost of a new tire,

Might want to look at shinkos for a longer tire life...
________
no2 vaporizer review

Last edited:
lol look at a shinko for a longer life tire? I do not think so .Mine are already cupping in the front and showing signs of wear in the rear. Maybe a Metzler 880.

yea if u were running dunlops thats about right. i got 2800 miles with no burnouts..

my shinko now has about 5k on it and i'm gonna get a new one within a 1k.

Lankee (former member) used to run a car tire on a modified rim, but it was for racing only. He said it handled pretty squirrely on the street. Do a thread search - may still be here in the archives - I don't know the specifics myself. I know he had some major issues from notching his swing-arm too much to accomodate wide tires. :rofl_200:probably easier & cheaper just to replace the rear tire every couple of thou. - just my opinion

How the hell do all of you get so many miles out of a Shinko??? I've got somewhere around 2 or 3K on this one, and it's already looking pretty worn out!

Or maybe my riding style has something to do with it.....:hmmm:

How the hell do all of you get so many miles out of a Shinko??? I've got somewhere around 2 or 3K on this one, and it's already looking pretty worn out!

Or maybe my riding style has something to do with it.....:hmmm:

I can help you with that bro. here is what you do;

• Make a fist with your right hand.
  • Now roll your fist forward.
  • Apply this technique when riding :biglaugh:
:rofl_200:

kozy, mine started looking 'worn' at like 2k/3k miles, but if u look at the tread depth its still fine.

I'm not so sure...my tread depth at the parts of the tire NOT in the center are fine :biglaugh:

Thanks ya'll i think im gonna get myself a metzeler, unless anyone has heard good things about Pirelli tires?

Thanks ya'll i think im gonna get myself a metzeler, unless anyone has heard good things about Pirelli tires?

I'd stick with the Metz. They make some quality tires. I've had their products on all of my bikes until now and was always thoroughly sassyfied.

I can help you with that bro. here is what you do;

• Make a fist with your right hand.
  • Now roll your fist forward.
  • Apply this technique when riding :biglaugh:
:rofl_200:

*Covering ears*

I did not just hear that...La-La-La-La-La-La-La-La-La-La.......I can't hear you!!! La-La-La-La-La-La-La-La......

In all seriousness, drive a bike with a car tire on it first.

The most dangerous bike I've ever ridden was a 1400 Intruder with a car tire. When the bike leans the rear rides up on to the corner of the tire giving horrible wobbles & stability issues. It also GREATLY increases the amount of effort into steering input.

I highly don't recommened that. Just my input. I'd hate to see ya' get messed up over saving some cash.

RR

In all seriousness, drive a bike with a car tire on it first.

I highly don't recommened that. Just my input. I'd hate to see ya' get messed up over saving some cash.

RR

+1000000

I can't see how anyone could even think of riding a bike on a car tire, unless you're absolutely riding on straight lines only and NEVER turning.

The car tire's flat-profiled. As soon as you lean you will get near-zero grip, so if you just open it up slightly you'll be off in an instant. :bang head:

Just my two cents - stick to bike tires. My rear Shinko's seen a lot of straight lines and very little turns, no burnouts but plenty of hard throttle, it now has 6000 miles on it and is 90% worn. The front is still fine. I think I'll replace it with...
... a Shinko!

Latest posts

Back