Carb body diaphragm housing stripped

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANA1

Reaction score
I guess I used a little more force then necessary and stripped the threads on the body of the carb for the diaphragm cover. Has anyone tried to fill up the hole and re tap? I thought about using JB weld but read alot of poor reviews on the products performance.:ummm: If all else fails..... let me know if you have a set of carbs for sale. Thanks

Helicoil or serts will work. I epoxied mine once and re-tapped and it held fine. You could use a longer screw and then a nut on the other side to tighten.

The nut on the backside works just fine as Mark noted.

Sean

I guess I used a little more force then necessary and stripped the threads on the body of the carb for the diaphragm cover. Has anyone tried to fill up the hole and re tap? I thought about using JB weld but read alot of poor reviews on the products performance.:ummm: If all else fails..... let me know if you have a set of carbs for sale. Thanks

I've had allen head, cheap haardware store, screws that didn't want to tighten
all the way after a few removals, I thought it was the carb threads. But, new screws worked fine. Like has been mentioned, nuts on the other side would be what I'd do before getting a different carb. Good luck.
Steve

Thanks guys, the bolt idea sounds like the most cost efficient solution.
Just blew the radiator hose that goes to the 3rd cylinder. When it rains it pours!

This is what was done by one of the more mechanically inclined Venture guys recently to replace the cylinder head hoses.

It should also work on a VMax.

The front hose that I used is from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's a Gates part #19764.

I installed the sharp bend on the head and stretched it over to the Y-Housing. I cut off a little bit at a time until the hose reached and did not touch anything sharp.

The rear hose is also from O'Reilly's. It's a Gates part #28479.

I cut off about an inch before installing it at the rear head. This made the hose 'bend' work better. I routed it to the Y-Housing and cut off a little at a time until it fit.

Attachments

• hose 1.jpg
    hose 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 11
  • hose 2.jpg
    hose 2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 9
Great idea. I found the hose online for about$ 20.00. Were you able to get the hose routed around the carb okay?

Back