carb kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetank

Reaction score
looking to rebuild my carbs that were jetted by previous owner...here is the problem...local yamaha dealer shut down and the closest one is now an hour and a half away....does anyone just have a complete kit? maybe one with a good jet kit so i know what i have?....oh and a sink tool too?:ummm:

for a rebuild kit you have to get the parts from a dealer or online, places like ron ayers or metricparts.com. there are crappy china kits out there on ebay do not bother with them as they will give you more issues then they are worth.

you can give sean morley a call from the forum here, he will have the the bits you need and also can supply you with a jet kit but if you dont have exhaust mods etc dont bother......

guys like him and dannymax can rebuild the carbs for you if your not up to it but really with basic skills and the use of the forum here(lots of articles on how to set up carbs) you should have no issues.....but getting a carb sync tool is a must and also the ability to set the floats correctly are gonna save you a bunch of headaches.

+1 to Tugla's comments. Other members have found, and documented issues with some of the parts contained in the carb kits you find online or on ebay.

Your best bet is tear them down, replace o-rings, and jet block gaskets, and verify what parts are in there and replace any if needed. Typically, the hard parts are fine to reuse.

Check out the carb forum. There is a how to in there for just about anything you need carb related starting with removing them, to a full tear down and rebuild, to setting floats, to synchronizing to tuning. This place could be your new best friend.

Sean Morley is a site vendor. He has a banner at the top of the forum. He typically has all the parts needed to rebuild the carbs in stock. Your best bet is to shoot him an email: [email protected]

I prefer OEM parts for everything but K&L carb kits are ok. Believe they are made in Japan. Avoid any Keyster kits or parts.

most times you can get by with just a good cleaning and new o-rings and gaskets.
look at the needle valve with a magnifier and look for an indented ring around the rubber tip. if you see one ....id replace em. JMO.
cant go wrong dealing with sean or dannymax.....or anyone else here for that matter:clapping:

Attachments

• DSC00736.JPG
    DSC00736.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01013s.JPG
    DSC01013s.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 21
for a rebuild kit you have to get the parts from a dealer or online, places like ron ayers or metricparts.com.

Or our resident forum good guy Sean Morley would most likely have all the parts (and know how) to get you going. [email protected] or click on his forum ID here and send a PM.

You can't go wrong getting parts from Sean. :eusa_dance:

If you're looking for the "experience" of doing it yourself, I'd go with Dingy's suggested parts. I DIY'd mine and it cost me $200ish for OEM stuff. Sync tool will run you $100ish depending on make/model you get. If you just need them done and don't really want to fool with all the hassle, I'd recommend Dannymax or Morleys cleaning for $400. Took me about a month to do mine with ordering sync tool and what parts I needed to replace. But I'm ready the next time I need to do it.

if the carbs have never been dismantled, be prepared for a fight with the Philips bolts. Budget in the possibility of having to purchase an EZ-out and replacement bolts.

{edit}
looking to rebuild my carbs that were jetted by previous owner...
uhm00000.gif
maybe my pessimism is moot

{/edit}

Latest posts

Back