Cases are split..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
.. I'm ready ready to get my 2nd gear fixed!

I have the new (s/h) tranny ready to go in, tomorrow I'm going to the local Yam stealers to use their hydraulic press to swap all the gears from the new output shaft to my old one - I never knew before but it's best to keep the old shaft/middle gear as otherwise the lash has to be reset!

For all of those who, like me, had no clue about our tranny whatsoever, I've attached the pic showing the gears numbered. Great erudition, this job :biglaugh:

Thanks so much to Sean Morley for all his help and advice so far! :worthy:

Attachments

• IMG_1080-1.jpg
    IMG_1080-1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 111
I applauded you G on your courage to dive into the heart of the beast ! Something few want to and actually get a chance to do. :clapping:

Here's wishing you the best in the reassembly... may everything line-up properly, torque down sweetly, and give you tight seals to have no oil leaks when you fire the breast up again !

Its amazing that the 3-4 gears are thinner than the 1 and 2 nd gears, and those are the ones that never give you problems lol. 5th gear looked wider. I would wonder if they could have squeezed a 6th gear in there if they would have changed the arrangement a little.

But on the same token, I don't think many people would want to rider 200 miles on a Vmax because it was never meant to be a touring bike. So maybe that is the reason they never put a 6th gear in place.

Todd

Might be fun on the top end high speed runs but those in the know realize the bike runs out of ponies to really utilize a 6th but for those with worked motors would reap the benefits. If the ratios are so darn incrementally close to each other, what's the point? That's just unnecessary shifting. Like Toddler said, it ain't really the touring bike but the boulevard bully.

But on the same token, I don't think many people would want to rider 200 miles on a Vmax because it was never meant to be a touring bike. So maybe that is the reason they never put a 6th gear in place.

Todd

My grand father used his max as a tour bike. Key West, Grand canyon, California and Niagara Falls and went to them a few times. I applaud him for keeping the seat stock, but I can hardly go 100 miles with out being a little sore. Upgrading that seat as soon as its possible.

But way to go deep and not look back, Hope you solve that 2nd gear problem. You may have said it but are you just replacing 2nd gear or going for the undercut business?

A Touring is a bike one tours on... I used my '85 as a tourer for the first 17 years I owned it - went so far as to use it to pull a cargo trailer on many an extended trip. 2 up almost all the way. I do have to admit I got some funny looks from the BMW and Goldwingers at rallies, but never had any real problems doing the miles with these guys. The Max was always comfortable enough to do 3 or 400 mile days, and definitely more entertaining than a Wing, even loaded with a weeks camping gear and 2 people...

A Touring is a bike one tours on... I used my '85 as a tourer for the first 17 years I owned it - went so far as to use it to pull a cargo trailer on many an extended trip. 2 up almost all the way. I do have to admit I got some funny looks from the BMW and Goldwingers at rallies, but never had any real problems doing the miles with these guys. The Max was always comfortable enough to do 3 or 400 mile days, and definitely more entertaining than a Wing, even loaded with a weeks camping gear and 2 people...
Well Said ! I used to do 5-600 mile days on mine all the time & was stupid one time & done 1,026 strait thru ride from Tx to FL.

Good luck with the trans G you will have it going in no time

Onya G!
What part of the world you in ATM?

I gotta tell ya, I really fkn regret not putting overdrive in mine. Don't ignore Mr Morleys advice! :bang head:

I love my overdrive. I went straight to Sean with my motor in the back of my wife's car, though. I'm pretty sure if I'd done it alone at home it would still be in pieces.

Overdrive is great. Remarkable difference. If you plan on drag racing a full quarter mile though it can be an issue as you may find yourself needing 5th near the end and (with the ratio jump mine has at least) find the jump in gearing to be too great. This could be affected by tire diameter and max rpm too. I won't spin mine over 9500 with the stroker crank and even that may be too much.

If you don't do 1/4 mile drags you'd never observe this. And just love it for the way it relaxes the bike.

Sean could answer but I think there are a few different 5th OD ratios available. The one I have is the most aggressive jump between gears, if I had it to do over again I would have gone with a lower ratio.

For cruising it is absolutely fantastic, makes the character of the bike much less nervous and way more enjoyable, you'll quit checking to make sure your in 5th (don't deny it, you all do it ..haha)
I think mine spins about 4000 at 80-82 mph

Even with the things I've said above if I was doing a transmission job I would absolutely go with the overdrive. If you want to 1/4 mile drag maybe pick one of the less aggressive over drives though.

I've NEVER had my bike in 5th...the roads on Guam suck too much and out max posted speed limit because the roads are so bad is 35mph. I'm afraid of what she is going to do the first time I get on an interstate and cruise at 80!!!:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::ummm:

I have the RS 5th gear, not sure of the ratio though, in my spare engine. I will move it over probably after this year. Rusty is correct, it is a great mod unless you have drag racing in your blood. Even the times you are just hooligan'n it up be prepared to have all the others riders to go by you when you hit 5th. Unless you have a beast of a motor gaining speed in 5th is a lot slower.
On the other hand, the % of the time you are normally riding it is nice to have the slower reving at 70 - 90 just using the torque. And no more looking for that extra gear!

Funny how a piccie of an open Max gearbox triggers a conversation about touring :)

Yes I often thought about the 5th OD gear - if I still lived in FL I would DEFO put one in.

But here in Western Australia, where our max speed limit is 110 km/h (68mph) and is a helluva lot more enforced than in the US of A, I just don't get to do a lot of miles at high cruising speeds anymore and so am quite happy with 5th as it is.
The only thing is, mirrors are really blurry around 110 km/h, but completely clear up by 120 km/h. Sod's law innit!?

Bazwell, I'm in Freo. Feel free to come by anytime - I could do with a little more advice on this gearbox jobs.

Taking it apart was pretty easy - had a couple of mates around to lift the motor out and upside down onto my workbench.
I didn't know I'd need a press to swap 2nd and 5th gears onto my original output shaft - that is something that should definitely be made clear to anyone looking at doing this job! Still struggling with that, the local Yam stealers were nice on the phone and said 'sure we'll help ya come down' and then when I got there they happened to remember they've lost one 1/2 of the metal block you'd rest the shaft on when pressing.. grrrr

So anyone in Perth, WA has a hyraulic press? Let me know!..

Funny how a piccie of an open Max gearbox triggers a conversation about touring :)

Yes I often thought about the 5th OD gear - if I still lived in FL I would DEFO put one in.

But here in Western Australia, where our max speed limit is 110 km/h (68mph) and is a helluva lot more enforced than in the US of A, I just don't get to do a lot of miles at high cruising speeds anymore and so am quite happy with 5th as it is.
The only thing is, mirrors are really blurry around 110 km/h, but completely clear up by 120 km/h. Sod's law innit!?

Bazwell, I'm in Freo. Feel free to come by anytime - I could do with a little more advice on this gearbox jobs.

Taking it apart was pretty easy - had a couple of mates around to lift the motor out and upside down onto my workbench.
I didn't know I'd need a press to swap 2nd and 5th gears onto my original output shaft - that is something that should definitely be made clear to anyone looking at doing this job! Still struggling with that, the local Yam stealers were nice on the phone and said 'sure we'll help ya come down' and then when I got there they happened to remember they've lost one 1/2 of the metal block you'd rest the shaft on when pressing.. grrrr

So anyone in Perth, WA has a hyraulic press? Let me know!..

I think the press is needed to compress the spring so the middle drive gear can come off. You can do it yourself just by using two 'glue clamps' (not sure if translated correctly). The spring isn't all that hard to compress. Used this method a couple of times and works just fine.

I didnt use a press but I also have a ton of tools which helps.. I used this(Mac universal puller set) to unload the spring but it is probably a more expensive tool then paying the dealer to change them if you dont have one.

Attachments

• IMAG0445.jpg
    IMAG0445.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 55
That procedure will absolutely work. Around here in the states you can borrow one of those tools from most auto parts stores for a small deposit.

I didnt use a press but I also have a ton of tools which helps.. I used this(Mac universal puller set) to unload the spring but it is probably a more expensive tool then paying the dealer to change them if you dont have one.

Wow that looks like a great way to do it! Out of interest, what is your bottom clamp made of? Are the two parts bolted to the middle gear something you fabricated?

That procedure will absolutely work. Around here in the states you can borrow one of those tools from most auto parts stores for a small deposit.

It's an idea - I may have better luck finding a big puller like that than a press.

If I use a press though, can I use the edges of the big nut, or the bearing, or the middle gear as a thrust surface? I assume the press will have to push on the end of the shaft (like in 2Stang's picture), so that the retainers can fall out from the bottom?

Back