Clutch Mod questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
1: how many springs do I need to do the double mod?
2: can I add 3 or 4 washers to compress the spring, making it tighter?
3: I have acquired 5 clutch springs off of a 500r Ninja, can I use them?

Sounds like you are referring to coil springs. The vmax does not have a coil spring clutch like most bikes. It has a diaphragm spring which is just one big ass spring that sits on the outside perimeter of the pressure plate.

The DD mod involves stacking an additional diaphragm spring directly on top of the existings.

To gain the full effect you need to remove the half sized friction disc, clutch boss spring, clutch boss spring seat, and the retaining wire from the back of the basket and replace it with a full size friction disc.

Easy mod to do. Grabs like hell. It will build up your hand strength for sure. Swapping the OEM clutch master out to one with a 14mm bore or, even better IMO, a zx11 or zx14 master will make it a lot easier to pull.

The levlhead link has all the info you need to know about how to do the swap.

Sounds like you are referring to coil springs. The vmax does not have a coil spring clutch like most bikes. It has a diaphragm spring which is just one big ass spring that sits on the outside perimeter of the pressure plate.

The DD mod involves stacking an additional diaphragm spring directly on top of the existings.

To gain the full effect you need to remove the half sized friction disc, clutch boss spring, clutch boss spring seat, and the retaining wire from the back of the basket and replace it with a full size friction disc.

Easy mod to do. Grabs like hell. It will build up your hand strength for sure. Swapping the OEM clutch master out to one with a 14mm bore or, even better IMO, a zx11 or zx14 master will make it a lot easier to pull.

The levlhead link has all the info you need to know about how to do the swap.

my fjr master is PERFECT with a DD.

If you ride in Stop and Go Traffic alot, you will probably end up reverting back to a Single Spring or you'll want to get one of those FJR Masters as Stated above.
But if you ride in the country most of the time you shouldn't have any issues with the DD Mod.
It will definitely Grab a lot harder than the Stock Clutch did so it will help with those Wheelies you were working on. :D

PS
I do know that a few of the guys I know that did the DD and then really rode hard (lots of Wheelies, Hard Launches and Burnouts), ended up Snapping Shafts pretty regularly due to the clucth not Slipping like the Stock one would and that Increases the Stress on the Middle Gears and Shaft.
I personally went with a Barnett Clutch (6 Spring) Conversion Kit which doesn't increase the Lever Pull much and Smoothed out my clutch a lot without transferring all that Stress elsewhere.
So far I'm really happy with it.

I was looking at the Barnett clutch, or the PCW kit but figured if the springs I had would work then I would opt for the cheap route.

PCW Spring ($50 or so) is about halfway betwen the Stock and the DD and it a good alternative.
The Barnett is about 25% Stiffer/Grabbier than Stock (These are just my estimates from having ridden VMaxes with all 3 Mods).
The Barnett is also Much More Smooth due to the use of 6 Springs vs the Single Diapram Spring.

I have the PCW clutch kit. I believe it was around $150. Very noticeable in how it grabs. Much more positive. Didn't really notice a difference in clutch pull, but I did it over the winter, so I wasn't able to compare an immediate before and after.

Back