Coil over plug mod issues with rain?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onspeed

Reaction score
Anyone have issues burning out coils if the bike sits in the rain (or you're washing the bike). I had a set of used R6 coils, and I'm down to two now, as the other two started to arc after it sat in some heavy-ish rain. Not sure if it's the water that's making them go bad or just coincidence.

I've had mine since '09 and no water issues. I've been in many rain storms for long rides wit zero issues. Just make sure all connections have a appropriate amount of dielectric grease.

oh please tell me it ain't so. I just forked over big bucks for this mod assuming it would fix my ignition system which has 4 cracked coils and puts on quite a little light show in total darkness while running.

My bike won't run if it's been rained on at all.

I probably just got crappy coils and the water was the final straw

Make sure your plug holes drains are clear and don't allow water to puddle around the cops rubber caps.
See the slots on the side of the cylinders? By the 3 horizontal stripes? It has a drain hole to allow for water to exit from the plug recess hole, if it doesn't drain it will puddle allowing it to enter the plug caps or cops. Especially on the right side as the bike is parked leaning left.

Vmax_Engine_1.JPG

Did you use the boots from the original plugs?

Doesn't work.
Did the bike stumble or failed spark sometimes before they died? they could have burned due to connection failure with plug due engine vibration.

Dielectric grease is your friend. I put it on every electrical plug I can, from the r/r plugs to the COP connections and the heads of my spark plugs. It may seem like overkill, but it keeps water and gunk from getting in there and causing problems.

Hey guys, I've been hearing a lot about the "coil over plug" mod. Could someone send me a link on how to do this, including what coils would be best to use. Would very much like to convert my '90 Max. Thanks :)

So i played around with it today, if I wiggle the coil left/right closer to the engine, the spark will arc onto the engine. This applies to all 3 of the coils I have on the bike at the moment. I also noticed that one of them will arc if I yank the throttle open quickly. I'm assuming none of this is normal?

I think I'll just order 4 new (used) coils. Maybe all of mine have gone bad from water or something.

I haven't had any issues with the COPs kit I ordered from Sean. Dielectric grease on all the contact points and in the plug boots have kept me safe in the rain and the several times it's been rained on while parked. Is your kit a diy or did you order a complete kit from somewhere?

Did it myself, although it's not a very hard conversion and I'm positive the wiring isn't the issue, rather the coils.

This COP conversion that has been talked about . I take it that when R6 was mentioned is from any year ? Also what wiring changes are needed ?

Make sure you aren't screwing the metal tips on the plug. If you use them the cops are not connected solidly to the plug ends.

Latest posts

Back