cold starting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Max#235

Reaction score
hey guys,
what is the preferred/best method to awaken Mr. Max from his long winter slumber. He's been hooked up all winter trickle charging. do i just open the choke and start cranking a few times. do i open the throttle as well.
i recall with my old '90 vfr it was quite easy after the winter.
any info would be appreciated. actually with all this snow we still have up here, i may not have to start Max until June.
________
How to make a vaporizer without glass or a solder

Last edited:
Re: cold staring

Choke and start! I never grab the throttle. It should start right up.

You didn't mention what battery or what charger type you had all winter, but you might want to check the water level in the batt cells soon. Some trickle chargers have a way of 'cooking' off the H2O from a battery.

Full choke and no throttle for me.

If you think the battery might be questionable I usually get the bike ready and hold the start button down and then turn the ignition key so the headlight doesn't get a chance to knock the last little bit of ass out of the battery.

Rusty

Damn ... I totally forgot mine has a choke!
Never used it.

<dig dig>

If I had to store my max, I'd be visiting every week just to sit on it and run it and rev the throttle.

my max from day one always started right up with throttle cracked when starting using chock half way...extreme cold full choke...

thanks guys.
the battery should not be an issue as i put a new one in last year. (not the gel type)
also the charger is a yusa plug in. kicks in only when needed.
i have been turning the ignition on just to fill the float bowls.
so just full choke and crank.
got it.
________
MistressVivian

Last edited:
FULL CHOKE , NO THROTTLE , WHEN IT STARTS REVING-UP , START TAKING THE CHOKE OFF SO IT STAYS AT ABOUT 1500-1800 RPS. THATS WHAT WORKS FOR ME ! BUT I'VE BEEN STARTING MINE EVERY 2 WEEKS ! :punk:

thanks guys.
the battery should not be an issue as i put a new one in last year. (not the gel type)
also the charger is a yusa plug in. kicks in only when needed.
i have been turning the ignition on just to fill the float bowls.
so just full choke and crank.
got it.

hello if that dont work after a few trys,,crack the throttle ......got it

thanks 113
it's just funny how different methods work for the same bike. i guess there are a lot of variables i.e. weather, how long it's been sitting, battery life, gas in tank, etc. etc.
i'll let you guys know which method works for me
________
SICK FROM PAXIL

Last edited:

Full choke and no throttle for me.

If you think the battery might be questionable I usually get the bike ready and hold the start button down and then turn the ignition key so the headlight doesn't get a chance to knock the last little bit of ass out of the battery.

Rusty

When the starter button is pushed the circuit cuts the headlight, this was designed by the factory to ensure all amps are being sent to the battery.

When the starter button is pushed the circuit cuts the headlight, this was designed by the factory to ensure all amps are being sent to the battery.

Yeah, I realize that,:icon_rolleyes: what I was talking about is when you turn the key on, the headlight comes on, then you end up screwing around finding the choke, putting it on, and then hitting the start button, realizing the run switch is in the off position, turning it on and then figuring out it ain't in nuetral and by the time you've done all that the headlight has run your marginal battery down...

The start button headlight turning off thing is something I've been preaching about forever as an excellent "headlight flasher" technique to give oncoming people turning left in front of you or waiting at an intersection that you are approaching when you have that gut feeling they don't see you and you know they are fixing to turn left in front of you.
I've been using it for years probably more than my horn.

Rusty

The start button headlight turning off thing is something I've been preaching about forever as an excellent "headlight flasher" technique to give oncoming people turning left in front of you or waiting at an intersection that you are approaching when you have that gut feeling they don't see you and you know they are fixing to turn left in front of you.
I've been using it for years probably more than my horn.

So Rusty....you're saying that you often hit that starter button to flash your headlight, while the engine is running?

What effects would that have on your starter drive? I would sure think there would be damage happening if you do that... Could ya please explain?

Thanks,

Philthy

First, I make sure I've had a good shit- cuz if I don't I know I'll have too by the time I get the cover off it....:biglaugh: up to 6 months - I'd do it like everybody else here, but say longer than a year. I'd take the plugs out and shoot a little oil down it and throw it in 5th and spin the rear tire a few times then put then plugs back in it and try to get as much of the old gas in it and put in fresh fuel before turnning over after a battery check. Do a quick light check - just to make sure, best to do it now, I think anyway. Warm it up around the block a few times while checking the brakes and then take her back and change the oil/filter. Check the fluids, change if necessary, check tires and your probably good to go after that.

( start button )
As long as your in gear the starter won't engauge - that's what I read, but keep forgetting to try it....not sure if it's ok to do it while your in gear but stopped with the clutch pulled in if it's the same. Can somebody confirm and clarify this ? I imagine the starter will "only enguage" if the bike is in neutral, don't think I've ever tried any other way.

I havn't tested this on my Max. BUT on my other bike, the starter would only engage if the clutch was pulled, didn't matter if you were in gear or neutral. No clutch pull no starter.

Sounds like a bad diode assembly and/or starting circuit cutoff relay.

I thought of this thread when I left work today. On my 06, After I started it and let it warm up a minute I put it in gear and started moving in first gear. Just for a test I hit the starter button while moving in gear and clutch out. I didn't hear the starter grind or anything, but I did hear a wirrrrring sound like the starter was spinning.

The starter shouldn't spin. You should hear a relay click and that's about it.

Not to highjack the original content...but...

Pardon my dumbassness regarding using the start switch for a 'flasher'... I should have realized that the starter won't engage unless you're either in neutral, or holding in the clutch....Duh!!!

Mine mostly won't engage, when in gear, even IF the clutch is pulled... I mostly always have to be in neutral...but that's a question for another topic...

Y'all keep in mind, that all my prior rides were kick-starts...still getting acquainted with all these "hightech" gizmos....

Uncle Philthy

Back