color scheme advice sought!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtoebaert-5311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
大家好,
Looking for some advice. Sean set me up with some great looking racing stripes, I just uploaded it to a new album "Llamrei reborn" - and I need some advice
NO - not about the big Tach - I know it looks awful at first sight and should be in the center. I`ll probalby move it to center finally, but the strange thing is that once you`re actually riding the bike, it`s really perfectly positioned. Must be something with peripheral sight or something, but I don`t need to look at it to see it...so I`ll give it a few weeks before finally deciding.
What I would like to ask: if you have a look at the side view (pic labeled "scoops") - they need to change of course to adapt to the new glossy black/candy red color scheme. But how? Top black/bottom red ; only one part of the bottom red ; some kind of central red stripe...various possibilities and I find it hard to decide what to do :ummm:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=971

So, what are your opinions?
Thanks
David

PS Sean, haven`t forgotten about the carozzerias, will be next winter I hope :punk:

Last edited:
Have you considered painting both scoops and side colours gloss black, with just the "yamaha" and "V max" lettering done in red?
And if you are stuck with that atrocious European licence plate, I would move it under the taillight. Off to the side, it looks like a metal traffic warning sign, that you would see in N.A.
And that tach reminds me of a huge neck goiter, something you might see on a very unfortunate senior citizen, waiting to die in an old folks home.
Other than the above, a great looking bike!
Cheers!

Black Chrome! OR, paint the scoop black with a red pinstripe down the "ridge" then paint the inlet area red (with black screen).

Sean's right, black chrome would look sweet. Then maybe paint the "yamaha" lettering red to match the color of the stripes. You already have the red carb covers, so you don't want too much red there. Your choice in the end! Tach is kinda big, but I believe in function over fashion!

I have the same paint with black chrome scoops and side covers and it really pops. I have some pics in one of my posts titled "some pictures of my baby" if you want to check it out.

Well...you could 2 tone the scoops...mirror black on the bottom half & that nice red on the top half. You could also follow that theme to your side panels to give it that "racer" look. The scoop lettering would then be black. Different, but different is good...

Thanks guys for all your thoughts, much appreciated :eusa_dance:

I also thought about the two-tone, but am afraid for too much red in a "top view" - don`t want to distract from the racing stripes

So I think I`ll follow Sean`s advice and have them black with a thin candy red line halfway - Sean, do you have any scoops lying around that you could redo ?

thanks
David

yes, we do have some core scoops we could have painted up. Shoot me an email. I'd do the side covers at the same time.

Sean

To my eyes, the carb covers are the wrong colour, and that's what is throwing you off.

Maybe change them to silver or black or chrome, and then you can do whatever you like with the scoops. Red flames?

To my eyes, the carb covers are the wrong colour, and that's what is throwing you off.

Maybe change them to silver or black or chrome, and then you can do whatever you like with the scoops. Red flames?

I am w/my antipodean friend on this one, I think the carb diaphragm covers are not rightly-colored, for my aesthetics. It looks like Gumby after a night on the town, w/bloodshot eyes.

I think the black chrome would look good as others had said. My taste runs to subtle instead of "look at me." But, your bike, your scheme. Try Plasti-dip to get an idea of colors, as you can easily remove it. Maybe not the exact shade or texture but it would allow you to see the color on the bike, cheaper than a repaint if you didn't like the look.

I always wondered what a black crackle-finish would look like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 6
The scoops are a defining astetic on the bike...hate to see them completely disappear...IMHO.

As others have mentioned...the carb covers are kinda limiting your options...

I am w/my antipodean friend on this one, I think the carb diaphragm covers are not rightly-colored, for my aesthetics. It looks like Gumby after a night on the town, w/bloodshot eyes.

I think the black chrome would look good as others had said. My taste runs to subtle instead of "look at me." But, your bike, your scheme. Try Plasti-dip to get an idea of colors, as you can easily remove it. Maybe not the exact shade or texture but it would allow you to see the color on the bike, cheaper than a repaint if you didn't like the look.

It`s a difficult color apparently to "catch" on a picture this candy red, always looks to "orange" - but I can assure you in real life it looks great!

Will go for the black scoops with candy red ridge

Sean, will email!

Will post pics afterwards!

I got some Harley texturized black powder and tested it. I didn't use it on my bike, because it looks a bit like George Micheal smoked a big joint in the 80's, and designed a bike for himself. :rofl_200:

I got 2 pounds of it. :bang head: If wanted, I could find something to powdercoat and take piccy's. I don't have any spare vmax parts though.

Next step in Llamrei`s make-over :)
THANK YOU SEAN
tomorrow they go on the bike!!
and NO it`s NOT orange, it`s candy-red - I hate digital cameras :(

Attachments

• cherry lined scoops.jpg
    cherry lined scoops.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 31
thanks! can`t wait to see them on the bike!

Sweet!!
Did Sean do the work??

Regardless, I have a buddy who finishes custom wood designs. I don't think he's ever painted metal. He has a full spray booth set up and a few different paint guns. Is there any advice you or others have to start with??

Lee

Sweet!!
Did Sean do the work??

Regardless, I have a buddy who finishes custom wood designs. I don't think he's ever painted metal. He has a full spray booth set up and a few different paint guns. Is there any advice you or others have to start with??

Lee

Yes, ordered from Sean, looks amazing, no idea how it`s done...but it takes skill I`m sure

Back