confused and aggravated

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
My friends 85 is still causing us grief.replaced all the intake boots and no air leaks now,all new diaphrams,I think the carbs are still pretty clean inside(I might be wrong).when I left him Friday after syncing the carbs it idled fine and was slightly lethargic on the throttle as far as coming back down after revving it up but I figured it would get better if he rode it a while..he called me Tuesday and said he had to use a shot of starter fluid to get it started and when he revved it up it stayed up in the rpms for about 5 seconds before slowly coming back down...does that sound like there's some type of blockage in the carbs somewhere?I cleaned them completely a couple years back but he didn't ride it much so I'm thinking I need to break them apart againmaybe...he has everything stock on the bike except for the supertrapps....how many turns out should his A/F mixture screws be?I think they're at 2 turns out now.thanks for any help guys.

Dave, It sounds like something is plugged up in the carbs. Probably going to need a good tear down and cleaning. Check the filter and fuel tank too for rust. Mixture screws should be at 2 to 2&1/2 out, I believe.

You could always give the peashooter and shotgun a try first before complete dis-assembly. Couldn't hurt, I guess!

also i think you should recheck the sync at 1000-1100rpm, or carbs arent seated correctly. my two cents

Went over and did the shotgun,cleaned the a/f screws up and set them at 2 1/4 turns out and after restarting it she seems to be a lot better but I'm not holding my breath,I'm going to check his syn tomorrow when I return his syncrometer to him but I don't think they're. That bad..and the carbs are seated well.he checked his fuel filter the other day like I asked him to and there was some sediment in it(again),he just doesn't ride it often enough...

Have you tried idling it with the choke slightly on and see if the idle gets better? Just wondering because if the idle circuits in the carbs are dirty, which it sounds like they may be, the bike will idle a bit better with the choke on slightly as it corrects a lean condition caused by plugged idle circuits.

More and more every day I find I love flatslides........

is there a throttle lock like vista cruiser on it? is so or if not, regardless does the throttle snap shut when you give it a fist full with the bike off? needs to shut with authority and definite snap. could have throttle cable issues hanging it up also. undo it from the throttle block and try to isolate it if its the upper or lower set of cables.

if there is a throttle lock, take it off and see if that helps.

Did you try any Seafoam?
My '85 stock with Trapps ran great 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 turns out.
Even some B-12 in the gas tank will take care of the varnish in the carbs.

well it appears the shotgun and cleaning up the a/f screws and re-syncing the carbs fixed it,aside from him putting some miles on it with some seafoam in it to clean it out.thanks guys

i had no luck loosening the cables then syncing as the book directed,just leave the cables tight and adjust as needed
just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back