Considering a second bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Yes, I am considering buying a second bike. Am considering either a Yamaha FJR 1300 or a Kawasaki Concours 1400. 2010 model year or higher. Both have ABS and other neat things. The Concours has traction control that increases safety.

No, I am not going to sell my 2005 Vmax, never will.

Please comment on any one of these bikes. Am interested in your ideas. Figure I will be patient this fall and winter. Expect lots of pre 2013 bikes coming on the market due to the new 2013 gen3 FJR coming out now.

I lean more towards Yamaha's (always have) but I gotta say dollar for dollar the Kawasaki performs better....

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

FJR much better fit and finish IMO.

FJR handles much more like a sport bike, feels much lighter than it is.

I've never ridden the VFR 1200 but I've heard very good things about that bike as well.....very easy to rack up the miles on. Probably the worst 2 up though as far as passenger comfort.

Never ridden the Kawi, have ridden an FJR, think it was an'07. I've seen the new Concours and the FJR side by side.

The FJR was superb, the new Concours beats that one (the older one, has it been updated?, I dunno?) hands down in the power department.

The FJR was so much nicer looking tho there's just no comparison IMHO.

If you go for the VFR you get the satisfaction of staying with a 1200cc V4....

The Concours are techno-gadget flagships, have a monster of a motor, and are smooth smooth smooth.

The FJR is pretty similar, a little down on power compared to the Kawi but still enough to rocket you well past what the Vmax could ever dream of hitting. The '13 refresh is desperately needed to keep it competitive to it's rivals, since comparing various '12 sport-tourers, the FJR seems a little long in the tooth.

If you go for the VFR you get the satisfaction of staying with a 1200cc V4....

The Concours are techno-gadget flagships, have a monster of a motor, and are smooth smooth smooth.

The FJR is pretty similar, a little down on power compared to the Kawi but still enough to rocket you well past what the Vmax could ever dream of hitting. The '13 refresh is desperately needed to keep it competitive to it's rivals, since comparing various '12 sport-tourers, the FJR seems a little long in the tooth.

FJR's with a good rider run 11.0-11.20 so there's hardly a difference power wise vs the Vmax.. Handling and braking I won't argue with you but to say that it will rocket you well past what the Vmax will ever dream of doing is completely false...

It seems you have it already narrowed down but when I was looking for a bike with junk in the trunk I was looking at the BMW R and K touring lines for a bit.

They're plenty fast with 50 mpgs, great handling, etc. All around solid bikes.

The downside is they're BMW and used bikes and parts can be a pain to find for less than a king's ransom.

I suggest any R1100 you can find at a decent price. The K's? They're well-finished, but there's a lot of bike underneath you. Around here, the twins come on the market occasionally for <$5K w/maybe 40K mi on them, which is nothing. I had an airhead, bought it w/<8K mi & used it almost daily until I bought my VMax, then the BMW sat for extended periods of time, until I sold it to a Battle-Creek MI veterinarian friend who flew to FL & rode it home, about 18 years ago this month. He said it ran like a top. I had the heads twin-plugged, w/a Dyna primary ignition system, Luftmeister 2-1 ceramic-coated exhaust, Koni's, & it came stock w/Brembo's. A fine bike, but the VMax was so-much more fun to ride, I didn't use it much after the 'Max came-home.

I like the GS twins, if someone was going to give me one, I wouldn't complain!

Of course. the new sportbike is a class-leader in h.p. w/only the new Kawi 1400 bettering it, I think.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/3408109196.html GS1200 $<12K, 9K miles!

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcd/3408069482.html their cruiser, front-end damage, but $1000 asking. It is NOT as the ad says, a K1200!

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcd/3406719684.html '04 R1150R twin $4K w/23K miles, probably the best price I saw for the $

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/3405783827.html '96 R1100R better shape, < mi, under 20K.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3400908054.html another GS twin, no miles listed

I am not considering BMW right now. Sure they are great bikes, but heard they might require more service, adjustments, than I want to be involved with. And being in Norman, OK and the closest BMW dealer either Tulsa or Dallas, well, that is too far for me.

Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha dealers are in Oklahoma City and Shawnee, OK, close to me.

Guy close to me has a 2009 Concours, 17K miles, like new, new tires, for $7,500. Now that is a lot of bike for that money. It has ABS, no traction control (came in 2010). Does not have redesigned heat dispersal in fairing like the 2010 does.

A review on this 2009 on the web indicates it is heavy, bulky on front end, and hard to turn, maneuver in small areas like parking lots, etc. Really interested in riding comfort in a 4 hour ride.

I am not considering BMW right now. Sure they are great bikes, but heard they might require more service, adjustments, than I want to be involved with. And being in Norman, OK and the closest BMW dealer either Tulsa or Dallas, well, that is too far for me.

Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha dealers are in Oklahoma City and Shawnee, OK, close to me.

Guy close to me has a 2009 Concours, 17K miles, like new, new tires, for $7,500. Now that is a lot of bike for that money. It has ABS, no traction control (came in 2010). Does not have redesigned heat dispersal in fairing like the 2010 does.

A review on this 2009 on the web indicates it is heavy, bulky on front end, and hard to turn, maneuver in small areas like parking lots, etc. Really interested in riding comfort in a 4 hour ride.

Just my 2 cents. I would go for the 2010 and later as there were several great improvements in addition to the heat fix that year. I am short and the bike is huge and tall for me but that would be my choice for a used sport tourer.

It's too late for me to consider a 2nd bike. I'd have to consider a 6th bike right now, and I simply wouldn't know where to put it.

FJR's with a good rider run 11.0-11.20 so there's hardly a difference power wise vs the Vmax.. Handling and braking I won't argue with you but to say that it will rocket you well past what the Vmax will ever dream of doing is completely false...

I was thinking more top speed, buddy's concours14 will nudge 170. I'm sure the FJR isn't too far off that. Only way a vmax will hit that speed is if it fell out of an airplane.

I was thinking more top speed, buddy's concours14 will nudge 170. I'm sure the FJR isn't too far off that. Only way a vmax will hit that speed is if it fell out of an airplane.

Actually I really doubt the FJR will hit 160, maybe on the speedo but in reality they aren't that fast... I've had my Vmax to 143 with my big ass on it (aftermarket speedo) although mine wasn't completely stock because I had Kerker and a jet kit at that time... Fairings make a world of difference up there and honestly that and the gearing are probably the greatest contributers to the slightly better top end.. Again I'm not saying that they are equal up there because they are not but its also not a landslide like you indicated... I do like the FJR but the Concours has the ZX14 engine and way more power..

Personally I wouldn't even be concerned with top speed beyond 100 mph or so when looking at long-trip comfort bikes.

It's sort of an odd comparison to make really - it's all about comfort and storage without having to sacrifice too much when it comes to having some fun around town, blasting on the ramps, and being able to comfortably pass at whatever speed.

The only way the difference of 140mph-160mph is really factored into the decision is you plan on having to do some cop running and..... oh wait I just got it. lol

Personally I wouldn't even be concerned with top speed beyond 100 mph or so when looking at long-trip comfort bikes.

It's sort of an odd comparison to make really - it's all about comfort and storage without having to sacrifice too much when it comes to having some fun around town, blasting on the ramps, and being able to comfortably pass at whatever speed.

The only way the difference of 140mph-160mph is really factored into the decision is you plan on having to do some cop running and..... oh wait I just got it. lol

Exactly Zack, hell I don't even raise too much hell on the street anymore (I still have my moments) because I have a cdl and can't afford to mess with my cheddar... I prefer 1/4 mile drag racing at the track anyways so that's where I have fun... Boils down to buy what you like best, its your money :)

Bought the 2009 Kawasaki Concours. ABS version. Black metallic. 17.6K miles. New Tires. Good condition.

Attachments

• Concours 1.jpg
    Concours 1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Concours 2.jpg
    Concours 2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 14
Looks sharp man. Grats on your new wheels! I see on of those parked in the loop (commercial downtown Chicago) against bike rails every so often. I know parking is tough and motorcycles get to use the racks but imo a full dressed tourer is pushing it! :biglaugh:

I Don't think you can go wrong with either the Connie or the FJR. Both are great bikes, and I have ridden them both. The Kaw does stand a little above the FJR overall with regards to power and technology, But I prefer the looks of the Yamaha myself. Right bike at the right price, I'd add either one to my stable.
R

EDIT: oops...I see you already made your choice, and a nice one at that. Congratz on the new addition :)

Right now I have a '03 FZ1 as a second, but really want a bike for the multitude of dirt roads around my area. I really like the big bore Husaberg FE570 (2012 last year of the 70* motors) which is dirt oriented and great reviews but since Husqvarna bought out Husaberg ('12) they will hard to find into the future.

Back