Do I need exhaust gaskets?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
Not the gaskets between the engine and headers.

I mean between the headers and some used Supertrapps slip-ons.
The stock exhaust has that metallic graphite-like gasketing in the cans part. Do I need to put the same stuff in the Supertrapps? Also the clamps off the stock I presume?
It's a sloppy fit right now, not sure if the clamps alone will fix that or if I need some gaskets.

Stock clamps are spot-welded on there, no re-using them I guess.

What do you folks use for clamps?

There should be clamps built into your trapps or included with them anyway. If not you can turn your pipes into clamps by welding on a section of tubing (about 1" long with hole that you can pass your bolt through) and then slice through the tubing and pipe so you can create a pinch point. Put the bolts in and tighten them down.

Sean

im pretty shure that supertrapp slip-ons dont use gaskets. they dont come with any, or clamps either 4 that matter.

i have heard that some people have had 2 heat the muffler ends to get them to fit over the header pipes.

im pretty shure that supertrapp slip-ons dont use gaskets. they dont come with any, or clamps either 4 that matter.

i have heard that some people have had 2 heat the muffler ends to get them to fit over the header pipes.

That's my thinking too...a buddy just installed some trapp slip-ons, he said they were metal to metal with no clamps and work fine like that. Tight fit, no exhaust leaks, and great sound!!

No clamps or gaskets on the trapps. Just metal to metal friction. Slip them on give the end a little tap with a rubber mallet then bolt them to the original bolt location and there ya go.

Here is a pic of my old trapp set up.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
they are on there pretty good too without clamps. i tried (not very hard) to take mine off and no luck

Yeah, you need to loosen all four headers otherwise next to impossible to remove.

well all my headers are going to be gone soon! i'm thinking of running the bike with no headers

j/k.. getting holeshot

well all my headers are going to be gone soon! i'm thinking of running the bike with no headers

j/k.. getting holeshot

When you go to put on your holeshots and take off your traps, start your bike up with the headers still on but no muffs. It is effing LOUD! Sounds cool as hell. I couldn't handle riding like that for long but ya gotta hear that in person at least once.

When you go to put on your holeshots and take off your traps, start your bike up with the headers still on but no muffs. It is effing LOUD! Sounds cool as hell. I couldn't handle riding like that for long but ya gotta hear that in person at least once.

i did actually on my old '94 which had cobras which were off when i changed the rear tire and rotor

Yeah, I just had to start it up before I put on the new cans, it was amazing! Neighbors weren't impressed, I'm sure....

Thanks for the info, the fit was good in three of the headers (all were loose) but the fourth was so sloppy I cut a bit of soda can to make it fit tight, so I could at least ride it and hear it run.
These cans don't fit as far up the headers as the stocker did, yet the mounting bolts line right up. That's OK right?

The sound of the Supertrapps is pretty good, I like it. But I hurts my ears inside a full face helmet while I'm riding. Do these cans have fiberglass inside them? Can I repack them?
How do I "tune" them, do I add more of those disk things?

Sorry about the ignorance, I've never fitted up an aftermarkeet exhaust before, never had to re-pack one either. Can I quiet it down a little by re-packing it?

I wear ear plugs because of the "drone" in the helmet. Amazing what a diff it makes.

You can mess with the disks though to get the sound you want.

Chris

yea.. add more disks and it gets louder, less disks quieter, no disks, extremely loud. re packing may help a bit, but the disks are designed to do most of the work there. how many do u have right now? and i assume you are running the solid endcaps?

Uh...I can see 7 disks behind the endcap. I haven't pulled them off to see what's behind them...

Start it with no pipes at all!! Sounds like it's running underwater! Blup...blup...blup!!

And not loud at all!

Hey thanks for telling me what to do, I left four disks in there and I think it sounds PERFECT now.

I can't feel any exhaust leaks around the joint at the cans, either, so I'm going to run it like it is!

Latest posts

Back