Does this look like a good buy?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayvin53

Reaction score
The wife and I are moving to Fort Myers, FL, and I thinking of selling my '92 and picking up another Max down there, just to make it easier. Found this one on CL and would like some opinions (other than on the color, which I'm not that keen on and would probably change) as to whether this seems like a decent deal. I'm thinking there's got to be something wrong with it for that price, with all those options...I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller at this point.
Thanks.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/1731874995.html

Well that's not a recent picture... The tail light is stock...

It's an '88 so you're losing your updated ignition system and it's an FL bike which means a lot of salt air if near the coast... It's amazing what the salt air does to them down there... Just wears them out...

I know I'd pass if you're comparing your current ride to it... JMO though... Which isn't worth .02?

Chris

Great points, Chris. You've got good eyes for spotting the taillight discrepancy. I also forgot about the salt air in Florida, but that would be true for any bikes I get down there. So, newer would be better, all other things considered.

My parents live an hour South of there on Marco Island. It's amazing what the salt air does to anything metal...

They coat the door handles on the house with a special spray I found for them and they've stayed like new. They would normally pit and look like poo after only a year.

Sun is also VERY destructive on things there.

I'm not saying it's not a good bike man... I'm just saying you currently have a newer one... I'd personally haul it. Unless you KNOW something is wrong with it and you want to off load it.

Chris

Not everyone in Florida lives on the coast, so the salt might not be as big a factor as you think.

I lived in Ocala, but what about Orlando, Gainsville, Tallahassee, etc? No salt there...

Yea I was also thinkin 3k wasnt that bad. But depends on how clean and well running..

Yeah, didn't know it was Kyle's or I would've dealt more directly. Talked with him an hour ago-thanks for all the input, all.

:confused2: Hey, you need to see that bike in person. Chris is right, the weather on those bikes from the east coast are rough. Chrome and aluminum will be pitted and flaking. Look close before buying. 3K is not a bad price if it looks good. Good Luck, Spur

I am strait up with every one bike is in good shape for an 88 not perfect but most people think it is way newer tahn an 88. & Ravin as far as Color I have 2 other Vmax's one is dark navy blue & the other is black with purple pearl that looks black most of the time you can have which ever paint set you want as far as I am concerned or for 300 bucks you can have what ever coler you want excluding candys & flip flop paints.

Thanks for giving me the options on the paint, Kyle. Can't beat that. Looking forward to the pics, although I know it's tough to tell true color from photos. That black/pearl sounds like it leans more toward my tastes, though. While you're out there with the camera, if you could take a couple of shots of the other colors, I'd appreciate that. Thanks.

OK Rayvin, this is your fomal welcome to SW
Florida! Always room for another Maxxer! When you get down here, contact me and I'll take you to bike nights at FtMyers and the Cape. Will also introduce you to the seedy Vmax underworld. Also giving Kyle a plug. A few hours away but same coast and straight up I-75. Patmax

Ugh... I-75... WORST INTERSTATE EVER!!! WHY THE HELL don't you guys move over to the right and give way to faster cars? IT'S THE LAW!!!

Chris

OK Rayvin, this is your fomal welcome to SW
Florida! Always room for another Maxxer! When you get down here, contact me and I'll take you to bike nights at FtMyers and the Cape. Will also introduce you to the seedy Vmax underworld. Also giving Kyle a plug. A few hours away but same coast and straight up I-75. Patmax

Thanks for the welcome, Patmax, and I'll be glad to check out a bike night here and there. Heading down there for a few weeks next month, mainly to get the house ready for moving in.

Ugh... I-75... WORST INTERSTATE EVER!!! WHY THE HELL don't you guys move over to the right and give way to faster cars? IT'S THE LAW!!!

Chris

Got to agree with you on I75--it's like playing bumper cars at high speed. I'll stick to the back roads whenever possible...

Here are some updated pics & ravin you have an email coming

Attachments

• 88 Vmax 001.jpg
    88 Vmax 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 17
  • 88 Vmax 003.jpg
    88 Vmax 003.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 88 Vmax 005.jpg
    88 Vmax 005.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 88 Vmax 011.jpg