Don't have to work tomorrow

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think living in Buffalo.....
......and you think snow......and "wide right".......and "no goal"
But cheer up. Still beats living in Baghdad.
Hope this helps!:punk:

So far its living up to the hype. I have 2 ft drifts in front of my door. all the local schools are close. thruway, and the main big roads are closed. It's lake affect so its only in certain areas. You can go from 2 ft of snow to green grass in the blink of an eye. 15 miles from me they're saying "whats the big deal" Won't be riding today crackeRican, maybe tomorrow:eusa_dance: Yea Miles, That's the story of life here in the big city of Buffalo, but still beats Bagdad every time though

So far its living up to the hype. I have 2 ft drifts in front of my door. all the local schools are close. thruway, and the main big roads are closed. It's lake affect so its only in certain areas. You can go from 2 ft of snow to green grass in the blink of an eye. 15 miles from me they're saying "whats the big deal" Won't be riding today crackeRican, maybe tomorrow:eusa_dance: Yea Miles, That's the story of life here in the big city of Buffalo, but still beats Bagdad every time though

Watching this on the Albany weather last night, guy said we won't bother with a total in inches, we'll be talking in terms of feet before this one is done.

Yeah, if you've never experienced lake effect snow you just can't imagine it! Good luck Tim, I'm sure you have plenty of gasoline for the blower, generator and plow. :punk:

Watching this on the Albany weather last night, guy said we won't bother with a total in inches, we'll be talking in terms of feet before this one is done.

Yeah, if you've never experienced lake effect snow you just can't imagine it! Good luck Tim, I'm sure you have plenty of gasoline for the blower, generator and plow. :punk:

And 3 kids with shovels:eusa_dance:

Before I moved to GA I was from NY and went to college at SUNY Oswego. Lake effect snow was always fun by they never close the school. They did put ropes between the buildings . Aaahh the good old days.

Oh yeah, lake effect, living on the east end of lake Superior and with lake Michigan and Huron just south of us it really doesn't matter which way the wind blows from! It's calling for 3 to 5 today but as I look out the front window I can just barely see the neighbors house across the street at 140-150 feet away! I guess I'll be driving the Sierra to work today! For some reason I think the forecast is going to be just a little off. Intellicast says 21*, feels like 8*.

Having earned my license and where I learned to ride a mtorcycle, as a teen in Rochester NY, I know the 'lake effect.' I don't miss drifts to the eaves, we used-to be able to walk onto the roof by climbing those drifts. From the house, you could see the ice on Lake Ontario in the distance. I don't miss it, one of the big reasons why I live in So. FL. I had enough of snow in May, not 'the usual,' but enough!

One year the apple trees in our yard budded, and then a late ice storm came-thru and put a coating of ice on those little leaves, the branches, and the power wires. It was pretty, but tough on the trees and the electrical grid. I recall going outside, and listening to the ice-laden boughs of trees cracking-off the trunks of trees in the neighborhood. They almost sounded like rifle shots.:confused2:

Last edited:
Just came in from snow blowing. Not done yet, probably another hour. My driveway is 16 ft x 70 ft. we have a solid 30" and still coming down. Started snowing hard here around 10 last night. So 30" in around 12 hrs. I feel bad for the plow guys. looking at up to 5 feet before its over.

Yeah, the 3"-5" is more like 10"-12" locally! At least it has stopped snowing but not blowing and the cold is still here. More snow is coming this evening. :eusa_dance:

I live 10 miles south of Elma.. We got maybe 6 inches.. Lake effect is some weird shit!

That's good Bill. I'm on the 3rd time snow blowing. Still coming down hard. Schools already closed for tomorrow.

We got about 3 feet here in Hamburg Tim and it's still snowing like mad.
I did run the snow blower but I waited too long and it took about 2 hours to get to the end of my driveway.
I attached a few pictures I took when I was about half done snow blowing my driveway.

Attachments

• Snow-11-18-2014.jpg
    Snow-11-18-2014.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Snow-11-18-2014-2.jpg
    Snow-11-18-2014-2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 29
We got about 3 feet here in Hamburg Tim and it's still snowing like mad.
I did run the snow blower but I waited too long and it took about 2 hours to get to the end of my driveway.
I attached a few pictures I took when I was about half done snow blowing my driveway.

Damn you could build an igloo with that.
The only time I every seen snow was 1977. It snowed in Tampa!!! I was 6yrs old. My brother & I tried to make a snowman but it melted when we touched it. I don't think I really want to see it. My blood is too thin living here in Florida all my life 44yrs

I can lay-claim to something few in my profession can: I fought a structural fire in south FL in the snow! Unfortunately, it was also a fatality for the resident of the dwelling, a single-family residence, wood-construction, made of Dade County (FL) pine wood, so-dense w/resin, you need to drill a hole to drive a 16d nail into a 2x wood beam, or-else much of the time, it would bend the nail. It was that day: Jan 19, 1977.

Damn you could build an igloo with that.
The only time I every seen snow was 1977. It snowed in Tampa!!! I was 6yrs old. My brother & I tried to make a snowman but it melted when we touched it. I don't think I really want to see it. My blood is too thin living here in Florida all my life 44yrs

Time to get the snowmobile out,I have the yamaha APEX it has the R1 engine in it. It's like a v max on snow. LOL

Back