Easy steering head adj. tool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my homemade steering head nut adjuster tool.

3/4-2 adjustable spanner (usually on e-bay for $10 or so)

Drill a 3/8" hole in handle, square it up to receive torque wrench

Works pretty good for me

dan

Attachments

• Spanner.jpg
    Spanner.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 107
How do you re-calculate the torque value needed to account for the offset? :ummm:

Don, as long as the torque wrench is used at a right angle to the adapter then calibration isn't needed.

Clymer manual has this formula for all other cases:

TW = (TA x L) / (L + A) = E

TW = torque setting on wrench
TA = actual torque to be applied to nut (ft-lbs)
A = amount that adapter increases or decreases effective lever length. Measured along centerline of wrench from center of the drive to center of adapter box end (inches)
L = length of lever or adapter measured along centerline from enter of the drive to center of grip (inches)

For example, let's say we want to apply 20 ft/lbs of torque to a nut using a wrench that has an 'L' of 14 inches and an 'A' of 3 inches. TW = (20 * 14) / (14 + 3) = 280 / 17 = 16.5 ft/lbs. So, reset your torque wrench from 20 to 16.5 ft/lbs when using this wrench and adapter.

I would not adjust it by the torque specs though. Each headset needs to be adjusted on it's own requirements. I have seen as little as 20lbs and as much as over 100.

Sean

I would not adjust it by the torque specs though. Each headset needs to be adjusted on it's own requirements. I have seen as little as 20lbs and as much as over 100.

Sean

Totally agree Sean. The only purpose of the torque wrench is to find out what the final torque turned out to be after using your "Fall off center" method of adjustment.

On my bike it was 23 ft. lbs.

dan

Latest posts

Back