Easy way to tow my Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my solution. I bought this trailer at Tractor Supply. At least the basic trailer was from there. I bought a 4x8 floor-less trailer, added the sides and the stone guard, and wood deck. I have about $700 into it. And a few hours labor.

Attachments

• DSC00725.jpg
    DSC00725.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 27
Here is my solution. I bought this trailer at Tractor Supply. At least the basic trailer was from there. I bought a 4x8 floor-less trailer, added the sides and the stone guard, and wood deck. I have about $700 into it. And a few hours labor.

Nice set-up!! :clapping:

Huh??? Are you talking about in the case of a breakdown?
Yes, that's what I was talking about. I know these rarely breakdown but in that moment, AAA is really nice to have. You can even use it for someone elses bike as long as you are there with the card. Nothing like being the hero when trouble rears its ugly head. :clapping:

Hanging a 600 pound bike sideways on one of those platforms that hooks into a receiver hitch is a lot of "tongue weight". Gets tail heavy and waggy. Never mind getting it loaded that far off the ground on a steep ramp with no space to maneuver and a lot less leverage with the bike up at your chest level. A street bike doesn't have the clearance of a dirt bike to get over the sharp hump on the ramp up. Tongue weight is roughly around 10% of trailer weight with load. Depending on your vehicle and what else you have stowed in the back of it, you may need some adjustable airshocks (I have had good luck with Gabriels and Monroes) or helper springs to keep the headlights aimed below the tree tops and maintain a safe, level stance. A V-Max is fairly long and bulky you have to consider whether or not you are blocking your taillights which some states frown upon and could result in your VMax being rear ended (or is that side ended?). A small trailer that can be stored vertically is probably the best solution. Aluminum frame would be super nice. Make sure you have a stone guard on the front of the trailer or cover the bike if you are doing lots of miles. Sand is a powerful abrasive.

Harbor Freight and Tools is your answer,They have a trailer 8 feet long with a hing in the center so it can fold up vertically and be put up in your garage and it only takes up about the same amount of space as a side by side fridge.They are well framed and sterdy,easliy moved and weightless while towing.They come with lights already so you throw it together, bolt a tire chalk on there and strap it down! We used one to make a custom bike hauling rig for a mountain bike group I rode with. Maybe this could help ya out? I would agree with the others...take a bike that is "known for transmission issues" and roll it without the oil system pumping might be a little too much for it to handle.I wouldnt know though,Im no trans expert.Hope I helped -Ace

I like the idea of being able to call the wife and have her pick me up with this contraption in the back of the jeep. Having her tow a trailer to pick me up? There wouldn't be a mail box standing between my house and where I was! The back wheel on the ground concerns me too. Might be an emergency only type thing though.

Hello guys,

I was looking for an easy way to tow my Max for possible small trips and or brake downs ( I know vmax's never break:biglaugh:). I have no space to store a traliler and I ran across this Hitch like thing on Ebay and the posting even shows it towing a Max.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...5320892QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Has anyone ever tried one of them?

Thanks!

Mike
http://www.mikeymustang.com
I don`t know man,
It seems that the whole of the bike is doing battle with the stableized front end and any kind of trip especially with a few twisties would be murder on the forks and trees. The max is a heavy bike and if I were going on a trip and was taking my bike with me... well there`s always good `ol
U-Haul round trip or one way.
Just my 2 cents worth...
<<Dave>>:punk:

Back