Fan override with stock controls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
I've been meaning to put a fan override on Max, but I really don't much like drilling the already crowded controls to add a mini-toggle.

It occurred to me over the weekend that I have a free switch anyway, because the Max fuel reserve system sucks and is as unreliable as a crackhead with a fresh c-note, I always just leave mine in "reserve" anyway.

So I wired the reserve constant on, and hijacked the switch to manually operate the fan. No muss, no fuss.

Maybe not for everyone, but I like it, and I don't have a ghetto rig toggle hanging out of my pods.

Great idea! I'm looking for a right switch housing from an earlier model Virago 1100. It has an extra switch on the lower housing and was going to use it for a headlight on/off switch.

I just frenched in a nice round black toggle with a tiny red LED into my front left neck cover. Looks like it was there from the factory.

My reserve works flawlessly...

now i thought the RES/ON wasn't really an on/off but rather just switches between the two. so i fu had it stuck to RES the whole time and then flipped it to ON it would kick the pump on

HUH? under the ON means the you are on the reserve... Under the RES means you're running normal.

I like the reserve switch, it's really only there in case you don't notice the light, it just bypasses the low fuel cut-off to the fuel pump, forcing it back on.

With my tank bag I can't really see the reserve light unless I think to look for it.

You're mod does sound like a clean way to get it done though.

Rusty

HUH? under the ON means the you are on the reserve... Under the RES means you're running normal.

I beg to differ,:ummm:

When the switch is to the right under ON, meaning "Fuel On" it leaves the low fuel cut-off in the circuit and the pump turns off when the low fuel light comes on.. Switching it to the left under the RES, meaning "Fuel Reserve" bypasses the cut-off switch fuel tankand forces the pump back on.

Rusty

By the by, because I forgot to come back to this earlier.

This whole mod can be done behind the right scoop, you don't have to break into your control pods or run any new wire. you simply pull the connector off the stat with the brown and blue wire, and pull those wires back behind the plastic guard. Next you intercept the R/G wire coming from the control pod harness. The R/G wire on the pod side of your cut slices to the blue, and the other half of the R/G splices to the brown. Now your reserve switch operates your fan, and your fuel pump will always run. 10 minute job, no muss.

Back