Final Drive

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax-Mike

Reaction score
What is the best final drive fluid for the vmax. Will any 80/90w work?

yup, pretty much. Service manual says SAE80 API GL-4 Hypoid Gear Oil, but also that a
SAE 80W90 can be used for all conditions.

Would synthetic be a better choice. Advance has royal purple 75/90 Or should it be 80/90 only.

75/90 vs the 80/90 is not much different between the two. The lower weight will help if your rides start out in colder temps. Any blended weight oil is thinner than a straight weight oil. since your placing this oil in a closed system I do not see where it would hurt to use regular or synthetic oil. The oil gets moved around by the gears splashing oil around in the rear end. It comes down to price for the oil.

Indeed, as the only heat comes from the friction (not engine burn), this oil will keep its viscosity a long time.

I think some people here have been using Royal Purple happily, I used simple SAE80 gear oil from the car shop and never had a prob.

Makes virtually no difference whatsoever. the GL-4 spec has been long surpassed(anything you find on shelves now is GL-5).

I think I have Mercury gearcase oil in mine, since I can nab some from work out of the giant drums of it.

Since it needs infrequent changing(Yamaha says every 15k), and you'll get 2-3 changes from a standard quart bottle, might as well grab a good synthetic.

Theres is something i don't understand... Why do people always try to get that better oil? Why don't just use what Yamaha recommends? Doesn't need to be Yamalube but why not just get the grades recommended by the manufacturer? Its cheap and readily available. Don't use LSD stuff for gear oil... Thats a different type. To replace the gear oil you will spend like 2 dollars, its only 200ml of oil...

well if your a winter rider and have to have spikes on your tires to ride the temp is very cold, the 75/90 would be ok. But like wildweasel_ptsaid you will spend 2 buxs for a 200ml worth of oil. And like I said it is just a matter of cost, if the stuff in the bottle is about the same then why spend 10 - 20 more the same stuff. It is a brand name cost thing in the end, just cost more, but does the same job.

I use this. I live in NY....hot and cold temps... Works great. Readily available in most stores. I change it once a year. Takes 5 minutes to do.

Attachments

• Mobil 1 75w-90.jpg
    Mobil 1 75w-90.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 43
We use a full synthetic fluid (Ultra Guard 75-90). From their website

BG Ultra-Guard™
BG Ultra-Guard™ is the first “true” multi-purpose gear oil available in the industrial market. It is a synthetic (Polyalphaolefin) gear oil blended in SAE 75W-90 viscosity and can be used in all car and truck axle applications calling for a GL-5 gear oil. It can also be used in all truck standard transmissions and automotive manual transmissions, transaxles and transfer cases calling for GL-4 gear oil, engine oil or ATF, as long as viscometric requirements are statisfied. BG Ultra-Guard™ provides thermal stability, smoother gear shifting, optimum drive line efficiency, quieter operation, protection against wear, pitting and corrosion, seal compatibility and improved seal performance, improved fuel efficiency, reduced maintenance, long drain life, extended component life and application versatility.
Part No. 75053

75/90 here, don't know who the original maker is. Its just says, Suzuki gear oil. I change it yearly with the other oil. I know I don't have to, but what the hell. Its easier to do when I'm going through the checklist before storage.

Anyone (including Mr. Morley) know where I can buy the BG Ultra-Guard oil?

I'm willing to do it online or to travel to a shop.

Thanks.

Elimax

I was hoping to know a SPECIFIC place where people have bought it so I don't have to call of these shops...

Thanks.

Elimax

The mobile one stuff should work fine too. The BG products are more sold to dealers for small shops to use. Call the BG number and ask for the best place in your area if you are wanting that stuff.

I use this. I live in NY....hot and cold temps... Works great. Readily available in most stores. I change it once a year. Takes 5 minutes to do.

Thats what you shouldn't use. Thats Limited Slip Oil used in some special limited slip truck differentials... My truck uses that type of oil to compensate for the absence of a locker on the diff... It has a system that can lock up to 40% on the diff but needs that specific oil... otherwise it will slip not locking the diff as it should...

Back