finaly put it on a Dyno, not good

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
They were doing dyno pulls at Big Bike Weekend here in Redding for 40 bucks for 3 pulls. I have wanted to dyno my bike for awhile now I suspected it was rich. I have Dale walker 4-2 pipes with his stage 1(155 jets and a shim) and a K&N single filter. When he was doing the pull starting around 7 grand or maybe a little lower there was black smoke comming out of both pipes...I thought this isn't good. All 3 runs it did it. 105 hp and 67.92 hp :bang head:. I have seen other people on the board with the exact same stuff at 120 + hp. My scanner is down so I will run you through the graff. At 4 thousand it drops below(it looks like the standard Vmax dip pattern) 13.1 slopes down to 10.1 at 5800 and gradualy climbs starting at 6200 to 13.1 at 9000, Peak hp is at 8900 and is a smooth graph and tourqe is nice and flat and peaks at 5200 but is still above 60 until 9000..

I went home and decided to take out the stage 1 so off came the carbs and I put the 152.5 back in removed the shims. I went for a ride and the bike ran great no stumble or hesitation. The synch was still right on so I never had to mess with it.. I ran back down to the Bike show to re-dyno(the show was over at 6 it was 5). They shut the dyno down early lol my luck, The owner of the dyno is local so he told me to run by his shop next week and he will re-dyno it for me. I hope at show prices. I will call Dale on tuesday and try to find out why this happened. It Makes no since that the exact same kit in other peoples bikes make 15 more hp and 10 more ft pounds of tourqe? If I can get my scanner up I will post a graph but it pretty much looks like most other vmax graphs I have seen. Any input is apreciated Thanks Mike

Last edited:
Stage 1 kit is worthless in my opinion for that very reason. Poor HP/Performance and rich running.

Sean

at this point less then worthless lol I am in a hole and spent many hours installing it.....and pulling it out. I bought the setup as a whole package before I found this place. i will re-dyno it then hit you up on your jet kit if it is needed,

Take the kit out, put 150 or 147.5 mains in it and try again. I think you'll find a nice improvement.

Sean

I took the kit out already and put the 152.5 back in with out the shim it seems to work well I willl re-dyno soon as I can.

Yeah I ran his 155's and shim and mine ran strong but slightly rich.

I did 122 at the wheel. Different dyno different day in a different state. Unless you know how their dyno reads on other bikes, it may be hard to tell.

I also broke my bike in the mototune way.

Chris

Take the kit out, put 150 or 147.5 mains in it and try again. I think you'll find a nice improvement.

Sean

I agree, Ive got the 147s in and couldn't believe the power gain while in Redding a few years back. Isn't it like 600' elevation? I tried to bring some of that air pressure back with me to K Falls but I burned it all up on the way. LOL

Funny story...I take off from a busy intersection in Redding and my bike jumped a little more than usually and my head snapped back a little. I looked around as if "did anyone see that?" Like when you trip yourself in public, Thought maybe my throttle hand and clutch hand weren't in sync. But I did it two more times, then I snapped it open HARD on a straight stretch and WOW it pulled the front up on a power wheelie from 1st to 3rd. Back at home...same old thing. Lower elevation is awesome.

Last edited:
Yes Redding is 600 FT. But alot of times it is so hot down here it makes the corrected elev seem higher. We have a nasty storm going on so the second dyno will have to wait. I knew what you ment on your jets. I read your sig and it clued me in lol.

Your bike is a dead-ringer to mine! 2006, Holeshot 4-2, engine guards, mini-windshield, and Morley Muscle Corbin.

I just ran mine with 155's, stock needles, no shims, K&N air filter, no Y-corrector in the airbox and it was rich but no hesitation at any RPM and no black smoke at all. You could smell gas when it was idling. I'm at about 200-300 feet above sealevel. Not sure if this is helpful but it worked for me. Infortunately, I'm not getting 122 HP at the back wheel like some folks running Sean's kit with Dale's exhaust.

Good luck,

Blaine

Your bike is a dead-ringer to mine! 2006, Holeshot 4-2, engine guards, mini-windshield, and Morley Muscle Corbin.

I just ran mine with 155's, stock needles, no shims, K&N air filter, no Y-corrector in the airbox and it was rich but no hesitation at any RPM and no black smoke at all. You could smell gas when it was idling. I'm at about 200-300 feet above sealevel. Not sure if this is helpful but it worked for me. Infortunately, I'm not getting 122 HP at the back wheel like some folks running Sean's kit with Dale's exhaust.

Good luck,

Blaine

I got 122 with it setup IDENTICALLY like you do. I got 124 with Seans but with a HUGE increase in power at lower RPMS. It's not always about peak power. It's also about how quickly it gets to peak power.

Chris

Max Caper did you ever dyno your set up? I went back to all stock carbs, I talked to DW he said some bikes are just richer from the factory and may not need the bigger jets and shims. I just got back from ridding up to the bike shop to re-dyno and they havn't set it back up yet from the show lol. maybe next week. My bike is running very strong with the stock set up(except Y removed and k&n) no surging and much crisper. I am going to leave it like this for now.

chris got 121 i believe with holeshots and DW jet kit, so thats something to aim for!

I have the exact same stuff ,same bike there is nothing left to aim with lol. I really do not care about the HP my concern was with the black smoke out of the tail pipes on accel. The reason I was going to re-dyno was to make sure the bike didn't go to lean under full accel. I do not want to hurt anything.

A fact that we cannot deny (IMHO) is that too little or too much fuel and vmax looses power. Is there a reasonably priced exhaust analyzer ( or a similar setup ) that most of us the DIY guys can make that help us properly tune our carbs?

Thank you for the lead Garrett, I was really looking for something cheaper, I just bought my Vmax less than a month ago, exhaust and carb kit shall be soon ordered, you know...
what about the exhaust temperature, could it be used as an indicator or am I getting too cheap

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back