finaly put it on a Dyno, not good

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
122 but who's counting? :eusa_dance:

Mine runs pretty strong. I broke it in a certain way that tends to give more HP.

Chris

lol sorry but that is crap. My bike runs very strong against other bikes and vmaxes. I also build many race engines. Do you honestly believe that a break in procedure would give you 16 extra HP lol. Some day I will try a calibrated dyno but it isnt that inportant to me I was curious about fuel ratio

lol sorry but that is crap. My bike runs very strong against other bikes and vmaxes. I also build many race engines. Do you honestly believe that a break in procedure would give you 16 extra HP lol. Some day I will try a calibrated dyno but it isnt that inportant to me I was curious about fuel ratio

+1

I've never had a bike come off of a dyno that was tuned for peak hp, and had it run a good number at the track. It always required some tuning after. Never understood peoples need for giving hundreds of dollars to dyno shop owners. The dyno is good if your trying to improve your engine while making changes to the engine internals (head work, pistons, cams, cam timing etc.) It's only a baseline measurement.

Take the money and do a test and tune at your local track. Make the carb changes there... real world.

Some more advice LOL... your probably sick of me and my bullsh*t... especially you dyno racers. The thought of going to a drag strip can be pretty intimidating. Test and tunes are set up under normal drag racing conditions with spectators etc. Most tracks have what they call track rentals and most times a speed shop in the area will set them up.

You can generally get in on one of those by just calling the track, asking for the schedule and getting in touch with the sponsor. The cost is usually $75.00 to $100.00 around here. The attendance is normally people that are trying to get cars and bikes dialed in and it can be lots of fun to watch. Most of the rentals are on a Friday or week day... Not a lot of spectators.

Get there in the morning... have a picnic, bring the family, get a few Vmax friends together and spend the whole day hot lapping your bike if you'd like. You can get a lot of tuning done in one day and learn to race your bike without a grandstand watching.

Think about that before you spend money on a dyno session.

Great advice Gary. I just looked at the website for Palm Beach Raceway in Florida and it is allot cheaper then a dyno.

TEST & TUNE
Gates open 5pm - 11pm
Test & Tune entry $25
Crew/Spectator $10
Open runs all night.

Yeah, probably a great way to learn the ups and downs of changes you make. If you have fellow Vmaxers there you can learn from their experience too. Great advice Gary! :thumbs up:

Where did I say that I got 16 more horse power from break in? Do I believe that a proper break in creates more power? HELL YES! Just because yours doesn't produce the HP you think it should don't go hating on me. I KNOW how I broke my motor in and I saw other guys there that were running the same setup as me with less HP. My take and others as well was break in has something to do with it. I NEVER claim or claimed to pickup 16bhp from break in alone. My bike had a whopping 3000 miles on it.

My dyno day was in Topeka KS along side maybe 15 other Vmaxes all on the same day.

Last edited:
Who hold on lol I am not calling you a liar. Sorry if it came across that way. I believe you are miss informed. I build race engines stock engines and build stuff to exact tolerences. I know what goes on in a engine. I am a mechanic for a living for the last 25 years. I think you believe exacly what you are telling me. I just know better. The only difference between our 2 setups WAS THE DYNO THEY WERE RUN ON. The tech(actual buisness owner) told me he belived the dyno was low on HP readings that I honestly think is the difference. Dale walker dynoed the exact same kit we both have(had) came up with very simular readings to you. Do you nkow for a fact he follwed the same break in procedure? Other people dynoed there bikes with his kit and gave simular readings as your self. Was there another Vmax at your dyno testing with your exact set up that made 16 hp less?.....again I apoligize. I do this stuff for a living

Two engines built the same rarely make the same power.

I will note that we do the hard break in procedure on our engines with good results. The same day Chris got his vmax tested and the kit installed we broke in an engine there. It gained quite a bit of power between Fargo's initial dyno and when he rested it an hour later after going riding it for about 20 miles and waiting his turn to be retested.

Sean

Two engines built the same rarely make the same power.

I will note that we do the hard break in procedure on our engines with good results. The same day Chris got his vmax tested and the kit installed we broke in an engine there. It gained quite a bit of power between Fargo's initial dyno and when he rested it an hour later after going riding it for about 20 miles and waiting his turn to be retested.

Sean

I would have to check my sheets but it was at least 8-9 hp. I went out with Jeff, silly guy didnt wear his helmet :whistlin: Anyways. We went out and I would rev up to redline in every gear allowing it to go full close on the throtte. Looked like we were playing leap frog. He would hold a steady pace and I would go shooting by him then let off the gas, he would go shooting by, then I would shift and nail it again. We did this for about 20 miles or so. Went for a put afterwards and almost got lost.
Brought it back to the dyno and hit 130/82. I was a very happy camper cuz at first I was a little disappointed we only hit 121-122.
Cheers

Where did I say that I got 16 more horse power from break in?

way I read it, I didn't take it as calling you out but...
I broke it in a certain way that tends to give more HP.

tends to indicate that.

I saw a stock bike pull a 160 (zuks), while 3 others of the same make did in the low 150's. All had similar milage. I've seen a stock 92' Vmax pull 120 on the dyno. Vs, mine at the time with the trapps only pull 117, boy did I take a ribbing on that one, I'm still under 3k on the clock. I have no idea what I'm making now with the Kerker.

been reading on various bikes, some just get that lucky assembly strike that sets up the cam timing and other variables right from the get go.

These are mass-produced engines, they are not all going to be identical in power & performance. All machining is set up to a certain spec., plus or minus an acceptable measurement or 'tolerance.'

Some parts are machined on the high side of the tolerance range, some on the low side....both are acceptable to the quality control guys. And every so often an engine will come off the line that has all the machining fall midpoint in the tolerance range, with all parts fitting nearly perfect.

This is the 'lucky assembly strike' that KJ mentioned....these engines will prolly make a slight bit more power, run smoother and last longer than most of the others.

my bike really runs strong . The dyno was for AFR use like I mentioned. I wish I had a dollar for every special this and special that for extra HP. Dont give me any crap. I will add slic50,cow magnets on the fuelines,a tornado in the airbox,mothballs in the gass tank dyno 140 hp then you will be sorry:rocket bike:

I've heard about the mothball thing many times but never tried them and don't know anyone who has....pretty sure there would be some serious harm done. What are they s'posed to do....fuel enhancer, or what? :ummm:

Or is it just a myth? :confused2:

I still stand by the fact that a proper break in will seat the rings properly creating more HP.

I NEVER EVER said 16HP and I don't care if christ himself disagrees with me. You can read anything into my statement I guess.

And yes this thread has pissed me off! Not sure why but I def have sand in my mangina right now though... Owe... lol

Right or wrong... This is how I broke my motor in. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm It's also how I broke my G8 in.

Both run strong and are very efficient. I see upwards of 40+ mpg on the max and over 25mpg with the G8. Not bad for a 400hp engine in a 4000+lb car IMO.

Chris

I've heard about the mothball thing many times but never tried them and don't know anyone who has....pretty sure there would be some serious harm done. What are they s'posed to do....fuel enhancer, or what? :ummm:

Or is it just a myth? :confused2:

After disolving in the gas it is supposed to act as a power enhancer/octain booster.

The brothers from Cartalk and the guys at Mythbusters debunked it.

I still stand by the fact that a proper break in will seat the rings properly creating more HP.

I NEVER EVER said 16HP and I don't care if christ himself disagrees with me. You can read anything into my statement I guess.

And yes this thread has pissed me off! Not sure why but I def have sand in my mangina right now though... Owe... lol

Right or wrong... This is how I broke my motor in. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm It's also how I broke my G8 in.

Both run strong and are very efficient. I see upwards of 40+ mpg on the max and over 25mpg with the G8. Not bad for a 400hp engine in a 4000+lb car IMO.

Chris

Thks for that post!! Very interesting reading. :clapping:

Dale #2592

With cyl ring technology today rings start to seat in the bore turning the engine on a stand before you start it. I have never had a set of rings not seat in correctly lucky I guess. btw I get over 40 on my Vmax at times also. It depends on how I ride it. My blown 331 mustang got over 20 mpg on road trips ran 10's in the 1/4 mile at 130 mph. :confused2:

Believe what you like. I just dont want you to think I was calling you a liar because I am not.

After disolving in the gas it is supposed to act as a power enhancer/octain booster.

The brothers from Cartalk and the guys at Mythbusters debunked it.
A side benefit also is you won't have to worry about moths invading your gas tank/carbs/airbos/ exhaust during storage times! You can't go wrong with moth balls!!!!!
The smell you say? Get it outta second gear gramma and you'll never smell it!:punk:

With cyl ring technology today rings start to seat in the bore turning the engine on a stand before you start it. I have never had a set of rings not seat in correctly lucky I guess. btw I get over 40 on my Vmax at times also. It depends on how I ride it. My blown 331 mustang got over 20 mpg on road trips ran 10's in the 1/4 mile at 130 mph. :confused2:

Believe what you like. I just dont want you to think I was calling you a liar because I am not.

But see I NEVER thought that... You assumed I did by my comment. THAT is what upset me. I do believe that a properly broken in engine helps with power.

I agree what you say is true which is why the link I posted states you need to do it right away and not wait. My bike was brand new and I was the first to start it. Granted it was probably test run in the factory but I set out of the dealer on a mission... lol

My SV dyno'd 104 BHP with exactly the same mods as others that are making 112 and more. Usually my vehicles rate lower than the average which is why I started breaking them in this way, starting with the max.

I got 39mpg last time with my wife on the back. I am not a small person so IMO that's dang good. Plus I am not one to full fist the throttle from time to time either.

Chris

I just wanted you to know I wasn't calling you a liar . I just have my own opinions also. All I have is the 25 years of experiance in the filed making a living ,plus this racing and engine perfomance is in my blood lol. So I have seen alot, I did read the article and found it intersting. I think my opinion is prety clear on it lol. He actualy does not have much hard proof as far as compresion ,leakdown readings. it would be nice if he had 2 indentical engines side by side and followed exact procedures to see what happened.....I have never followed a standard breakin procedure myself. I think the whole 600 mile or 1000 mile no readline stuff is crap also. JMO once you start a engine your just wearing it out. BTW I full fist the throttle on my bikes and full foot my cars constantly lol. You ever race your Vmax at a drag strip?

Back