Front brake line question...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2dawson

Reaction score
Every time I think I have everything fixed something else pops up. All of a sudden both my front brake lines are leaking above the banjo bolts. Are there any cheaper options than replacing them with the expensive stock ones? This is on my '93 Vmax.

After I get this problem and my oil leak solved I think I might just give up and sell it.

Every time I think I have everything fixed something else pops up. All of a sudden both my front brake lines are leaking above the banjo bolts. Are there any cheaper options than replacing them with the expensive stock ones? This is on my '93 Vmax.

After I get this problem and my oil leak solved I think I might just give up and sell it.

Banjo bolts where, at masters, at 3 way manifold, or at calipers?

In any case, if your sure it's just leaking at the bolted connection it's just a new crush washer..

Or are you saying the hose itself is leaking due to failed compression connector at the hose to banjo junction????

In that case a set of stainless front lines are about $60 to $80 I think, I just bought some but don't remember exactly how much $$

If it's your lines that are failed I think I got a set out in the garage you can have for shipping only, but not if you're just going to sell it......

Banjo bolts where, at masters, at 3 way manifold, or at calipers?

In any case, if your sure it's just leaking at the bolted connection it's just a new crush washer..

Or are you saying the hose itself is leaking due to failed compression connector at the hose to banjo junction????

In that case a set of stainless front lines are about $60 to $80 I think, I just bought some but don't remember exactly how much $$

The hoses are leaking above the bottom banjo bolts. Probably at the crimped fittings.

If it's your lines that are failed I think I got a set out in the garage you can have for shipping only, but not if you're just going to sell it......
I'd sure take you up on that.

I probably won't sell it but I sure feel like it right now. It seems that every time I ride it something else fails. It's getting frustrating.

If you are serious about the lines, let me know how much you want for them.

Thanks,
Jim

Almost 20 yrs. old, things like rubber pieces go bad-ozone, wear, heat/cold cycles, flexing, etc. Stuff like that is easy compared to engine repairs. Triumph owners used to face crank rebuilds in 10K mi because of the oil passages getting plugged. You have it a lot easier these days. Do the maintenance & then after verifying all is 'OK' w/the brakes, go stretch the throttle cables a few times, and then come back on here and tell us if you still "want to sell it!"

I probably won't sell it but I sure feel like it right now. It seems that every time I ride it something else fails. It's getting frustrating.

Thanks,
Jim

I just checked, the three line stainless kit is around $115

Let me go make sure I still have the stockers and I'll get back to you.:punk:

^Two posts up, that sounds like a great deal, no? But then the description of the years change for the application shown...

What gives?

Brian

My HD dealer (where I get a great discount) tried to order me a Russel kit from Parts Unlimited today and they are out of stock at all their warehouses. I won't find out until Monday how long they are backordered. My typical luck. :(

Thanks,
Jim

Found them, shoot me a PM with an adress and I'll send them your way. You can pay shipping, shouldn't be much. They are off my '99 and were fine when they were removed a couple of months ago....

Wow, never priced a Russell kit, only the Galfer..Good deal

I have a set on the 43 mm front end I put on my '92 w/FZR1000 4 piston calipers & they are rock-solid. Great deal for the price & look good too! "Captainkyle" helps a lot of people on here so if he can get 'em for you, not a bad way to go.

Found them, shoot me a PM with an adress and I'll send them your way. You can pay shipping, shouldn't be much. They are off my '99 and were fine when they were removed a couple of months ago....
Rusty,

Thanks for going to the trouble of finding them but hang on to them for the next guy in need. I can't swear that I won't end up selling the bike so I found a set of Russell's for a really good price and ordered them.

Jim

Rusty,

Thanks for going to the trouble of finding them but hang on to them for the next guy in need. I can't swear that I won't end up selling the bike so I found a set of Russell's for a really good price and ordered them.

Jim
That is awesome Jim, this site brings out the best in people for sure. I'm sure you will like the Russell's and will serve you well for years.
Also, just another example of why Rusty's Nice Guy Award was well derserved!
I had my original ('92) set of brake lines but could not comfortable give to another rider to use as the rubber is cracking (when twisted) around a couple of the compression fittings.

I received the Russell front brake lines and installed them this morning. Bled the brakes with a Mighty Vac in about 10 minutes and all is well. I have brakes and no leaks!

I also bought a Russell clutch line but haven't installed it yet. I don't know if it is as easy as the brakes or not.

I received the Russell front brake lines and installed them this morning. Bled the brakes with a Mighty Vac in about 10 minutes and all is well. I have brakes and no leaks!

I also bought a Russell clutch line but haven't installed it yet. I don't know if it is as easy as the brakes or not.

Does the Russell re-use the hard pipe piece at the slave down by your left foot?? If it does re-use it be really careful not to twist the tube when you remove and replace the line, it's soft, real soft..........It may also have a tiny little copper donut (really it's called an "olive" if it's like the galfer line) at the tube to pipe junction, make sure that's in there and centered when you tighten it up.....I had hell with mine.....

If it doesn't re-use it but instead goes all the way to the slave cylinder then I think you'll have to remove the middle gear cover. If so look at the retainer plate bolts on the mid gear bearing while your in there and make sure they're not broken or loose.....when you put the mid gear cover back on make sure the copper crush washer is on the bottom center bolt or it'll leak oil..

Bleeding it shouldn't really be any different than the brakes...Mity Vac is worth Gold, can't believe I waited 30 years to buy one....

Back