Front end shake

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB2DMax

Reaction score
My '01 Max has a bad front end wobble. My bike has 24,000 miles on it and the front tires does need to be replaced. I've owned two V-Max motorcycles, and I know the nature of the front end wobble --it "goes with the turf." However, my current wobble is worse than "normal" and am wondering if it's time for a steering bearing replacement. Thanks for your replies.

Tire, tire balance, tire pressure are the three things I would check first. Then, get the front wheel off the ground and do the bounce test. Perhaps you need to tighten the bearings up a bit. Head nut on top of the top triple helps too. If that fails, remove front wheel and slowly turn steering head and feel for notchiness. If still none, remove forks and do the same test. You might as well inspect bearings now and if they look good lube 'em up.

My '01 Max has a bad front end wobble. My bike has 24,000 miles on it and the front tires does need to be replaced. I've owned two V-Max motorcycles, and I know the nature of the front end wobble --it "goes with the turf." However, my current wobble is worse than "normal" and am wondering if it's time for a steering bearing replacement. Thanks for your replies.

If by "goes with the turf", means a front end wobble on the VMax is normal, it's not. The wobble can be traced to either the front tire, head bearings or front suspension.

You would be surprised at how much effect the rear suspension has on the wobble issue too. Tire pressure on rear, swingarm pivot bearings, and torques.

It's all one chassis just you feel the problem in the front.

Sean

Is it a high speed or low speed wobble?

Thanks for the replies guys. Tire pressure is correct. One gentleman asked if it was a high speed or low speed wobble. It's at speeds below 60 mph. Very bad as you slow down. At speeds 15 - 30 mph, if I take my hands off the handlebars, which I shouldn't do I know, it'll shake to the point that you've got to grab the handlebars or you'll lose total control.

Thanks for the replies guys. Tire pressure is correct. One gentleman asked if it was a high speed or low speed wobble. It's at speeds below 60 mph. Very bad as you slow down. At speeds 15 - 30 mph, if I take my hands off the handlebars, which I shouldn't do I know, it'll shake to the point that you've got to grab the handlebars or you'll lose total control.

It sounds like the head bearings need snugging up. Do the bounce test.

Here is Sean's description:

Set your bike up on the centerstand and let the bars fall to one side and then the other. I will bet that the steering head bearings are too loose as has been said already.

The bars should take a slight push to start movement and then should fall and stop on the bottom. If they bounce (or if they won't stay halfway down when setting them there) the bearings are too loose.

It's a very common problem as many don't know how to set the right. Too tight and you won't be able to keep going in a straight line without constantly correcting the steering. Too loost and you can't take your hands off.

Sean Morley
Let us know how it turns out.

I struggle with the exact same condition on my '01 as well. Low speed, worst under decel / engine braking.

Re-torquing the head improved it quite a bit, now it only seems to show up occasionally (probably dependent on road surface) and I'm hoping re-balancing the front will knock it out completely.

Definitely get it up on the stand and reset the head torque via Seans "bounce" test, should improve things markedly.

Back