Front fork question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxRyan

Reaction score
Hi, i have a question regarding the front fork. If i sit on the bike and line up the top of the triple tree and the handlebars so they are exactly perpendicular to the bike the front tire is aimed slightly to the left. Is this something i can straighten by loosening all the bolts that hold the tubes and then tightening when straight? The bike rides fine but when it is going in a straight line the bars are slightly skewed as well. I can not see any signs of damage and it doesn't look like anything is bent, hopefully it is something easy to fix. Thanks guys.

yes. it is easier if u have help. put on center stand. loosen top hex bolts and having someone hold the front tire with their legs attempt to move, hold in position and tighten. myself i had to loosen the fork brace bolts and it moved abit more. experiment on what works altho you do not want to loosen all the bolts or the forks will lower to the ground.
michael

seems to me the front axle should hold the wheel from doing that? is this possiblly indicitive that the right fork is bent somewhere?

seems to me the front axle should hold the wheel from doing that? is this possiblly indicitive that the right fork is bent somewhere?

A good way to check for this is, put the bike on the centerstand, prop the front up so the tire just lightly touches the floor, loosen the top and bottom fork tube pinch bolts on one side at a time and rotate the upper tube.

If it's bent it will get tighter or bind as you turn it.

A good way to check for this is, put the bike on the centerstand, prop the front up so the tire just lightly touches the floor, loosen the top and bottom fork tube pinch bolts on one side at a time and rotate the upper tube.

good call danny

I tried this and they turned but were equally hard all the way around. There were not any points that were easier or harder. Also right below the top clamp there is a valve for adding air pressure, i am assuming under it must be a hole in the tube to let the air in, how are people moving the tubes up to lower the bike with this in there?

I tried this and they turned but were equally hard all the way around. There were not any points that were easier or harder. Also right below the top clamp there is a valve for adding air pressure, i am assuming under it must be a hole in the tube to let the air in, how are people moving the tubes up to lower the bike with this in there?

Good-sounds like the fork tubes are straight! The earlier models had external air valves, not really sure how you would drop the front in the trees with them. Seems like I read that it has to be done internally with a lowering kit, but don't hold me to that.

Good-sounds like the fork tubes are straight! The earlier models had external air valves, not really sure how you would drop the front in the trees with them. Seems like I read that it has to be done internally with a lowering kit, but don't hold me to that.

is it still possible they are bent outside the triple tree?

They would still bind down in the lowers with the axle and fork brace in place.

agreed. sorry! i was picturing it without the fender or tire in place for some reason. good call tho. i'm glad its not bent!

I have the earlier model forks on my '92 w/ air valves. I lowered my forks 2" internally since you cannot lower them in the triple trees with the air valves in place. I have heard that you can use liquid steel to block off the small air hole in the forks so you can remove the crossover valve then slide the forks up in the triple trees.

No air is needed after installing Racetech or Progressive springs, and the valves and crossover can be removed and plugged as Redbone mentioned.

Latest posts

Back