Gen 1 vs Gen 2 handling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torszula

Reaction score
I am considering a Gen 2 VMAX but have never ridden one. I understand the difference in engine performance is huge but what about suspension? How does the gen 2 handle compared to the gen 1? Is the weight of the bike as noticeable as you would think?

I am considering a Gen 2 VMAX but have never ridden one. I understand the difference in engine performance is huge but what about suspension? How does the gen 2 handle compared to the gen 1? Is the weight of the bike as noticeable as you would think?
The Gen 2 is a modern bike compared to the Gen 1, it is a bigger bike, but handles a lot better , and once you let the clutch out and start moving the you lose the feeling of the weight of the bike. I've never ridden one hard but from what I've seen it does pretty good when ridden hard.

Gen 1 handling

CSM002829.jpg

Gen 2 handling

clouds%20aircraft%20military%20f16%20fighting%20falcon%20aviation%20skyscapes%20fighter%20jets_www.wall321.com_12.jpg

Well the difference isnt that bad. The gen 1 can be MADE to handle ALMOST as well as a gen 2. Barry Barker was the man that did it.

He had racetech springs, gold valve emulators, carrazerria wheels, braced swing arm....and a whole host of other goodies. It can be done....its just kind of expensive.

Well the difference isnt that bad. The gen 1 can be MADE to handle ALMOST as well as a gen 2. Barry Barker was the man that did it.

He had racetech springs, gold valve emulators, carrazerria wheels, braced swing arm....and a whole host of other goodies. It can be done....its just kind of expensive.

Barry's Vmax had one MINOR, teeny weeny little flaw in it -----f'king loose nut behind the handlebars. :biglaugh:

Barry can make his current Victory fly through the twisties like no other, I can tell you from experience.

Anywho, while I've never ridden a Gen II hard either, :)whistlin:) I can tell you, it won't ever try to get wiggledy wobbly in the straightaways, at any speed, like my 85 oem suspension will do at times.

Now, if someone would just make a Gen II 240 back tire that'll last a full 2K miles, without being so hard it slipperslides in the corners, I'd be a happy camper.

Depends on how the bike is set up. A Gen I can handle pretty good with some work.

Yeah....stock, there is NO comparison.

Gen 2 is the most capable "big bike" out there. Does very well in the corners and is completely settled up to it's top speed of 171 mph. Has very good brakes as well.

8177e69c1ea6c6085dbcbb94.jpg

I can push a Gen 1 with the best of em and the few times I have ridden a Gen 2 it's much easier to do the same speeds or faster with much more confidence. I still like the overall feel of the gen 1 and of course the more classic lines but for power and handling the gen 2 has zero problems.

I have had both a gen 1 and a gen 2. I rode/ride bikes hard and I have no problems dragging my pegs round the twisty's and over roundabouts.(UK)

I actually set the pace with my friends who I ride with and it is mixed bag of bikes from sports bikes GSXR ect to other naked bike XJR B-King.

They cant keep up along A roads and nice sweeping bends and they cant overtake me on the tighter stuff.

SO BOTTOM LINE THE NEW VMAX HANDLES WELL.

Here's my take on the differences on the Gen1 and the Gen2.

Gen1 is fast, simple technology, great classic looks, but poor braking and cornering ability.

Gen2 is faster, sophisticated technology, great modern looks, very good cornering and braking.

It's like comparing the old muscle cars, like a Camaro, to the new one. They look similar in style, but everything else is 100% different.

So it really depends on what you are looking for and your riding style.

Mike

Attachments

• 1967-chevrolet-camaro-ss-front.jpg
    1967-chevrolet-camaro-ss-front.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 18
  • dsc00121.jpg
    dsc00121.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 17
Here's my take on the differences on the Gen1 and the Gen2.

Gen1 is fast, simple technology, great classic looks, but poor braking and cornering ability.

Gen2 is faster, sophisticated technology, great modern looks, very good cornering and braking.

It's like comparing the old muscle cars, like a Camaro, to the new one. They look similar in style, but everything else is 100% different.

So it really depends on what you are looking for and your riding style.

Mike

Very well put!!

And for some of us, riding styles may vary from one day to the next. For instance, Mon-Fri are usually work days for me. Sat & Sun, on the other hand, are fun days....give or take the weather. So I've not only kept my 85, I also added the 09 to the stable, where they both join with my Honda Rune. Between the three bikes, I can always choose which one to ride on whichever day, depending upon my destination, and the style in which I want to arrive there.

Back