Golly Wobbles-almost a tank slapper

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mr Max and I were cruising the countryside in Upper Montgomery Co. yesterday.
For gigs, I let go of the bars at 40+ and immediately had a growing shake of the front end until I could steady it just a second later.
I can ride the Vic no hands and it's the Rock of Gibraltar.
This is the first time I did this and it will be my last.
Is this "normal"? Should I get a steering damper? Any experience?

WW

Ah ya something is wrong, I can take my hands off at just about any speed with no wobble, and I don't have a dampner, maybe caliper not releasing all the way ?? At any rate don't think you need a dampner to fix this issue, just my opinion.

^ Absolutely.
I check and adjust my steering head every Spring and the only time I've ever had any headshake at any speed was caused by a cupped front tire.

I just did this adjustment a little over a week ago. Wobble is completely gone for me. Doesn't take long, you might need to buy a big wrench though. Home Depot sells the 1 1/16 Husky wrench for around 6 bucks or the 27mm for around $8.50 or so. I went with the 1 1/16 and fits perfect.

I need to do that as well. Mine ALWAYS shakes if I take my hands off around the 40mph mark. My solution so far has been to keep my hands on it, but fixing the problem is probably a better solution.

Every time I get a high-speed wobble, it has been due to run out on the BACK tire. I've had a cupped front tire so bad, the bike had an up and down hop one time. That one had to go!

I don't take my hands off both sides of the bars hardly ever or at any speed, so I am not sure if I have any 40mph wobble or not.

Thanks for all the advice. Consensus seems to be head bearings , next wheels/tires and finally brake disc runout. I will proceed in that order.
Great to have this depth of knowledge for the asking.
Thanks again,
WW

I need to do that as well. Mine ALWAYS shakes if I take my hands off around the 40mph mark. My solution so far has been to keep my hands on it, but fixing the problem is probably a better solution.

I "Dealt with" a known wobble/weave issue on a V65 for a long time before it snuck up on me at 140mph, turned into a full blown tank slapper and spit me off like a rag doll.
I got lucky and lived to tell about it.....

Took it to my shop , Montgomeryville cycles- good guys , try 'em--and they put a senior mech on it.

First off the service manager said "don't do that!" I like his Henny Youngman act but I said none of my other bikes plays this trick.

The mechanic did the proper procedure even though his service note said he didn't find any looseness but a "too easy " side to side turn of the bars on the lift (front wheel off the ground).

After he retorqued the steering head, I got the bike and rode it about 10 miles. WOBBLE GONE.

Thanks again guys for the direction. I feel riding with clean underwear is likely again.

Love the stickers that come with the kit… Just can't bring myself to stick them anywhere.. LOL!!

Tried tightening the head as in the video above. Mine bounced several times. Not now. Will ride tomorrow and test it.

Back