gone at 6000 rpm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rputt

Reaction score
hi, new to the forum so be patient.this problem is driving me crazy.took off
carbs, soaked in degreaser, all passages,jets, openings etc, blew out with compressed air.reassembled and installed. bike started fairly easy. carbs were then synched. bike runs great up to about 6000 rpm, then the engine hits a wall, it will not rev much higher, maybe with a lucky twist of the throttle it may hit 6500. after much frustration searched the web for answers, found this forum, joined and read the thread on carb rebuilding,
took the carbs off again and set dry float height as per mark on jet block,and have to say a couple of floats were high, (rich). after adjusting the floats, put them back on bike and restarted the engine, pretty much the same drill, carbs synched etc. i am still having the engine max out at
approx. 6000rpm. for your info, bike was running good before rebuild and would pull hard as you would expect and the answer to the obvious question, there was a problem at idle with backfiring. what is happening and what am i missing!!! answers please!

Do the slides move easily? So ur saying if ur stopped and iin neutral if u open the throtle wide, it goes to 6k and stops? Is there a rev limiter on it?

yes, all needles move easily, the bike is stock with no rev limiter. it was good before
the rebuild.oh forgot to mention this is in my garage as we have 2 feet of snow here.

does it pop or misfire when it hits 6k or just stop dead? can u get a vid of it?

Just another suggestion. Do you have one of those washable air filters? Did you perhaps clean it and re oil it? Sounds like a breathing issue from here. There is some risk of eating a bug but you could try removing air filter and make a quick run. No air filter sometimes screws with the smooth running but if that is the problem, it should rev fine for the test run.

i will get a vid of the bike and post it to youtube later this pm. watching the canada-us hockey game.
go canadians go!!!!

I believe you need to have the air box fitted in order for it to run properly. Someone with more expertice will come along to give the reasons why.

did you end up chg any parts inside, or you just clean them up? meaning after market carb kits. sounds like its bogging out, too much air. did you take apart the slide/needles.

Redbone is right. Put your airbox and retry it. You need the airbox unless you are running air correctors.

Put the airbox on!

EDIT: haha. sorry i saw the video and immediately replied w/out looking. unless you are running a stage 7 kit, you are going to suck so much air once the slides are fully open. put the airbox back on and go from there...

+1 to the airbox. Gotta have the filter and lid on there. Also, it is a must that the vent hoses are properly routed, fitted, and not kinked when using the stock setup. It will not run right otherwise

+1 on the air box.
I took my air box off just to see the carbs work and it did the exact same thing. I thought I screwed something up. I put It back on and everything was fine.
Tim

Latest posts

Back