Good tire for drag racing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6spdbbody

Reaction score
Wanting to find out which tire is going to be best for dragging. I spend a lot of time on the strip, way more than in the curves. I've never been one to go fast in curves and take it to the limit as far as handling goes, but i do like the straight line racing. I've been looking and i think i'm gonna go with the Avon Venom tire. If u know of a better one for a price near that let me know. I'm wanting to go with a 170-80, but i'm pretty sure i'm gonna have to move the washer in the rear for it to fit, but is it really that simple??? And about how many miles are people getting out of this tire without doing many burnouts. Thanx a lot!!!

Wanting to find out which tire is going to be best for dragging. I spend a lot of time on the strip, way more than in the curves. I've never been one to go fast in curves and take it to the limit as far as handling goes, but i do like the straight line racing. I've been looking and i think i'm gonna go with the Avon Venom tire. If u know of a better one for a price near that let me know. I'm wanting to go with a 170-80, but i'm pretty sure i'm gonna have to move the washer in the rear for it to fit, but is it really that simple??? And about how many miles are people getting out of this tire without doing many burnouts. Thanx a lot!!!

It is that simple... Use some grease to hold the washer there though... The washer trick is neat but it in theory causes less of the splines to mate up... Personally I see this as a weakening of the drive line...:confused2:

The Venom's are a good (stickier) one... Remember though that more tire = more weight...

I have seen video's of guys running in the high 10's on stock 150 rubber... It's has a lot to do with clutch control off the line.

I got 1800 miles out of a new one with out purposely doing burnouts.The metz 880 with last longer about 3000 miles.Maybe you should look for an old back rim and mount a phoenix 15" slick on it (VW).The inside bead needs ground down on the rim and it needs drilled for bead lock screws into the tire but wouldn't take long to swop for the races.

I am going to a shinko 03 stealth next.I see a ton of them at the strip.

1800 miles??? wow...yeah i've put 800 on it in a month, i'm not replacing tires every 3 or so months, maybe u got a bad tire?? lol, i think i may try the 170 venom for now to see how that works out for me, if it don't last, i'll definetly be going to a radial. Has anybody used a car tire, like maybe a 165-80-15?? I'm sure it wouldn't hook for shit, but should be able to get tons and tons of miles out of it.

1800 miles??? wow...yeah i've put 800 on it in a month, i'm not replacing tires every 3 or so months, maybe u got a bad tire?? lol, i think i may try the 170 venom for now to see how that works out for me, if it don't last, i'll definetly be going to a radial. Has anybody used a car tire, like maybe a 165-80-15?? I'm sure it wouldn't hook for shit, but should be able to get tons and tons of miles out of it.

I can't see a square tire handleing very well in the turns.

he didn't say it had to turn - LOL!

Best thing is to get a radial rear (and front) then you will get all the traction you want! I'm getting 1.60's 60' times with the 17" radial rears I tried.

Sean Morley

Sean,I see a ton of the Shinko Stealth tires at the strip.

They are the shiznit! Its what I'm getting next.

Attachments

• shinko.jpg
    shinko.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 18
That is what I have on my FZR but it is actually a Yokohama tire (before they sold the pattern to Shinko). The best thing to do if you are wanting a strip tire cheap is to get on ebay and buy a used road race tire. The centers are almost always like new and the sides are used up. You can get them for like $25. Can't remember the type one of my buddies with a 330hp huyabusa uses but the shinkos won't hold on it where this other brand will. He runs 8.60's with no bar!

Sean

I got 1800 miles out of a new one with out purposely doing burnouts.The metz 880 with last longer about 3000 miles.Maybe you should look for an old back rim and mount a phoenix 15" slick on it (VW).The inside bead needs ground down on the rim and it needs drilled for bead lock screws into the tire but wouldn't take long to swop for the races.

I am going to a shinko 03 stealth next.I see a ton of them at the strip.
any pics on how to grind the inner bead of the rim , or more info also on where to buy the tire phoenix tire would be appreciated

Jeff, you shouldn't need to make it look too pretty inside as long as the bead is ground down.

Sean

We tried putting the slick on last night and it wouldn't seat all the way around. There is a tiny bit of the lip left that I need to work on. It was close, but just couldn't get that last 1/4 to seat.

I'm going to take my di-grinder and go to town!

Latest posts

Back