Got my carbs back from Sean, need advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron, now that you got those cylinders to come down turn the right-rear sync screw to balance the right side carbs. Do the same to the left side with that sync screw. It's a continuous process. Move from one side to the other until all four are level.

I thought one side controls 2 cylinders and the other the other 2 ??? So are you saying that now that the right side came down and the 4th is high and the 3rd is very low if I start adjusting the left side it will affect the right side cylinders???

If that is what you suggest I will give it a shot tomorrow I am ready to go nuts.. I have been working on this since 2 AM this morning non stop.

I realize that I know nothing and I have to learn by trial and error but geezzzzz

I do appreciate everyones help

Thanks

Ron

ron, read the instructions on that other thread carefully. the LEFT screw controls the LEFT carbs. the right side has 2 screws. one balances the two RIGHT carbs to EACH OTHER and the other RIGHT SCREW balances the RIGHT bank to the LEFT bank...

keep trying tho man, u'll get it! i promise!

ron, read the instructions on that other thread carefully. the LEFT screw controls the LEFT carbs. the right side has 2 screws. one balances the two RIGHT carbs to EACH OTHER and the other RIGHT SCREW balances the RIGHT bank to the LEFT bank...

keep trying tho man, u'll get it! i promise!

I'm trying very hard Mark, really.........lol I understand that the left side controls the left carbs and I understand that the right side right screw controls ( balances the right carbs ) is there a difference between controls and balances ??

And I understand that the right side left screw balances the right side to the left side, Right??

What confuses me is that isn't what is happening, when I adjusted the left side the 2 cylinders were as high as they could go, then you had me adjust the right side right screw and the left came down :ummm: if the left side controls the left why did nothing change when I adjusted the left but the left came down when I adjusted the right side right screw :ummm:

As it site now 1 and 2 are about the same and 3 is barely showing and 4th is about an inch higer than 1 and 2..... So you are saying that I need to go back to the left?

If everything I just said is correct then nothing makes sence to me.......lol

But as always I do appreciate all your help

Ron

Now, balance #3 to #4 with the right-rear screw. Tell me how you have your hoses hooked up. Gage 1 to #1, etc.

If you've been going since 2am you need to take a breather. Try again later.

Adjustment screw on left side balances cylinders one and two together.

Adjustment screw on right, rear balances cylinders three and four together

Adjustment screw on right, front balances cylinders 1&2 AS A PAIR to cylinders 3&4 AS A PAIR.

So, if the levels on your meter for 1&2 are sky high, and the levels for both 3&4 are way low, adjusting the screw on the right, front will bring the PAIRS into balance.

It just takes a little paitience, you'll get it.

I'm looking at post #34 in this thread and checking out your picture. To start off in a situation like this I would go to the screw on the right, front and adjust it first. That would drop BOTH columns 1&2 down and raise BOTH columns 3&4 up. It would not synch them but get everything in the ballpark.

Then, I'd follow Marks directions from the sited here. Go to the left side and turn the adjustment there to balance carbs 1&2 as evenly as possible. Blip the throttle. Get it as close as you can. Making multiple adjustments if necessary. Don't worry about anything but 1&2 right now.

Next, go to the right side of the bike. Screw towards the rear. Adjust it so carbs 3&4 are as even as possible. Blip the throttle. Repeat till you can't do any better.

Now, you should have carbs 1&2 reading very close to one another. 3&4 should be close to one another. The next step will be to make them all line up. Right side, front screw. This will balance both left carbs to both right carbs.

If you are off 2 mm/hg but not WAYYY out of wack like in your pic then start the process over from the beginning following the directions from Mark in the sticky in the carb section.

There is no difference between controls and balances, or synching when we are talking in this thread.

Now, balance #3 to #4 with the right-rear screw. Tell me how you have your hoses hooked up. Gage 1 to #1, etc.

As it site now 1 and 2 are about the same and 3 is barely showing and 4th is about an inch higer than 1 and 2..... So you are saying that I need to go back to the left?

+1 your getting close

If the hoses are hooked up correctly, right, rear screw will make 3 and 4 come into balance with each other.

Once you get 3 and 4 in balance move on to the right, front screw. this will balance the left two with the right two.

If everything is not peachy at that point start all over again. Left screw to balance 1 and 2. right rear to balance 3 to 4. right front for both lefts to both rights.

Balance 3 to 4 ?? that is what I was trying to do all afternoon adjusting the right side right screw.

I have the CarbTune hoses as you look at the front of it the left hose is #1 next is #2 next is #3 and the one on the right side is #4

I have #1 hooked to left rear cylinder
I have #2 hooked to left front cylinder'
I have #3 hooked to right rear
I have #4 hooked to right front

Ron

+1 your getting close

If the hoses are hooked up correctly, right, rear screw will make 3 and 4 come into balance with each other.

Once you get 3 and 4 in balance move on to the right, front screw. this will balance the left two with the right two.

If everything is not peachy at that point start all over again. Left screw to balance 1 and 2. right rear to balance 3 to 4. right front for both lefts to both rights.

The right rear screw is the only one I didn't mess with too much. when I got 1 and 2 are about the same and 3 is barely showing and 4th is about an inch higer than 1 and 2 I kept trying the right side right ( front ) screw

I did try the right rear screw but maybe I didn't go enough in the right direction, god knows how off it is ?? I think tomorrow I will start with the right rear screw and see what happens.

Question

each time I adjust a screw and my idle goes above 1000 I adjust the idle screw back down to 1000 right?

Ron

OK Guys, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words so here are some pictures of my carbs where they should be seated, can you see anything that is not normal?

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

carb3.jpg

here is my carbTune and hopefully you can see where the hoses go from the carbTune to the cylinders.

right_side.jpg

left_side.jpg

Ron

Get someone on the phone to walk you thru it as you do it.....................................................

pm me if you want it to be me

I appreciate the offer but I think it would be impossible to do it over the phone, with my UFO exhaust I can't hear myself think nevermind listen to someone on a phone while trying to convey what I am seeing on the gauges.

I really think it's very nice of you to offer I just don't think it would work. It is hard to troubleshoot things over the phone, I do it alot for computer stuff and it isn't pleasant.

Once again thank you for the offer though.

I might reconsider if I spend all day tomorrow without any results.

The ONLY thing I do know for sure is I am not giving up and letting a mechanic touch my bike ever again....

Ron

Ron, I know this has all been said but maybe a little different approach will help you.

Carb layout:

Front
#2 #4

#1 #3
Rear

#2 is the master carb-everything sync's to it. It has no adjuster screw.

#1 adjuster-sync's #1 to #2

#3 adjuster-sync's #3 to #4

#4 adjuster-sync's #3 & #4 to #1 & #2

A couple tips:

Try to find a way to hang the Carbtune where you can see it from both sides of the bike instead of moving it from side to side.
A bungee cord from the ceiling works good....be sure it hangs vertically.
Have a fan blowing on the front of the motor....it'll get hot.
Make small adjustments.

Here's the order I use:
1) Sync #1 to #2 using #1 adjuster screw
2) Sync #3 to #4 using #3 adjuster screw
3) Sync Right side (#3 & #4) to Left side (#1 & #2) using #4 adjuster screw.
I sync @ 1200rpm

Good luck

as to your question about the carbs being seated they dont look like it they pop out hard and in the same. loosen all 4 clamps and put all you weight on them you may have to rock on them to get them down. you should not see any ribs on the carb outlet.
Chris

Thanks I appreciate the attempt to explain it a different way.

I think it would help me a bit more if people would talk in a way I would understand it. Using the left side adjustment screw, idle screw, then right side right screw ( front towards front wheel ) right side left screw ( one towards the rear tire )

Like I said first thing I will make sure of in the morning is that the carbs are seated, I'll unscrew the screws and see if I can get the carbs to seat better and if everything looks good I will continue what I was doing at the end today, seems I was getting there.

When syncing I do hang the CarbTune on the right front brake and let it hang then I move around the bike to turn the screws,

Once I get this job done I get to put my new exhaust on...........lol then all my new chrome I got from Sean......

Thanks again
Ron

aren't u going to have to synch after u put on the new exhaust?

as to your question about the carbs being seated they dont look like it they pop out hard and in the same. loosen all 4 clamps and put all you weight on them you may have to rock on them to get them down. you should not see any ribs on the carb outlet.
Chris

Thanks Chris,

that is the first thing I plan to do and now knowing that someone sees that they are not seated well, might explain why I couldn't get it synced today.

Thanks again
Ron

There are ribs in the rubber boots that fit in grooves in the carb body. Does anyone ever use sylicone grease (the stuff for o-rings) to help the rack slide in the boots?

Seems like you would be better able to feel those ribs fitting inside the grooves if the grease is no problem.

Anybody ever do this?

Someone please help me with connecting the CarbTurn.

Lets do it this way I numbered the hoses from the CarbTune starting at the left column #1 then 2nd column #2 then 3rd column # 3 and the 4th column #4

From left to right as you look at the CarbTune hose #'s 1,2,3,4

Now use as you are sitting on the bike left side and right side

left front cylinder which hose # ?

left rear cylinder Which hose # ?

Right front cylinder which hose # ?

right read cylinder which hose # ?

When you explain how to sync please use the left side screw and the right side front screw and right side rear screw and of course the idle screw.

I will check any post before I go out there again at 2 or 3 AM to make sure the carbs are seated properly, then once my neighbors wake up and have their coffee I'll start up my beast and let warm up and back to syncing..

Hope it goes better

Thanks

Ron

Back