Got my new exhaust from mark's !!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Yesterday UPS dropped of my new pipes from Marks, it was a surprise since the delivery date was scheduled for Monday the 29th....:eusa_dance:

My carbs and seat and other parts are on the way from Sean so next week I will be able to put my bike back together :punk:

If anyone else has order pipes from Mark maybe you can answer a question for me... Is the only hardware 8 springs and 2 nuts for a 4 into 2 system??

thanks
Ron

Yesterday UPS dropped of my new pipes from Marks, it was a surprise since the delivery date was scheduled for Monday the 29th....:eusa_dance:

My carbs and seat and other parts are on the way from Sean so next week I will be able to put my bike back together :punk:

If anyone else has order pipes from Mark maybe you can answer a question for me... Is the only hardware 8 springs and 2 nuts for a 4 into 2 system??

thanks
Ron

You lucky dog!!! :biglaugh:

How did you know when the delivery date was, does Mark send out tracking info when he ships? :confused2:
danny

You lucky dog!!! :biglaugh:

How did you know when the delivery date was, does Mark send out tracking info when he ships? :confused2:
danny

I called him and asked for the tracking number, he was more than happy to provide me with the tracking number.

thanks
Ron
That sounds right Ron, due to the precision fitting of the pipes not much addition hardware needed. :thumbs up: You need to reuse your stock header bolts and the bolts that fasten the cans to rear footpeg brackets.

That sounds right Ron, due to the precision fitting of the pipes not much addition hardware needed. :thumbs up: You need to reuse your stock header bolts and the bolts that fasten the cans to rear footpeg brackets.

I know you said I could PM you anytime to ask questions about the installation of my new exhaust but I figure if I ask you here maybe someone else will benefit from your answer.

If I understood you correctly you said to attach the header pipes and leave then loose then connect them to the collectors and then the cans. Attach all springs and bolt to rear footpeg brackets, once that is done and they fit right tighten everything up according to the torque settings.

I noticed that on the collector there is a bracket, does that attach somewhere under the bike?

Thanks

Ron

I know you said I could PM you anytime to ask questions about the installation of my new exhaust but I figure if I ask you here maybe someone else will benefit from your answer.

If I understood you correctly you said to attach the header pipes and leave then loose then connect them to the collectors and then the cans. Attach all springs and bolt to rear footpeg brackets, once that is done and they fit right tighten everything up according to the torque settings.

I noticed that on the collector there is a bracket, does that attach somewhere under the bike?

Thanks

Ron
Yes, that is correct, get everything fitted together, check fit/ clearance/ etc before you do any tightening down of the bolts. You can even wait to put on springs until everything is bolted tight. You may want to put a longer bolt to mount the cans to the footpeg if you retain the large stock washer, if you remove the large stock washer 4gasem says stock bolt works fine. I used a longer SS socket head bolt a nylock nut to fasten mine.
The bracket is a place to re-mount the bumper from the stock exhaust for the centerstand. If you keep your centerstand you will need this bumper to keep the centerstand from hitting your nice new Marks exhaust.
Looking forward to seeing it mounted and a video when you get the chance!

Ron,

Can you weigh Mark's complete exhaust system before you install it?

Not sure how I could do that but I'll try. I have a postal scale but it will not be easy to get the pieces to lay steady on the scale.

Here is the best I can do putting each piece on my postal scale, I put a flat box and set the tare to 0, this way I would have a level area to hold the different pieces.

Right Can 1.770 lbs
Left Can 1.780 lbs
Left Rear Header 0.755 lbs
Right Rear Header 0.755 lbs
Left Collector 0.865 lbs
Right Collector 0.925 lbs
Left Front Header 0.980 lbs
Right Front Header 0.975 lbs
Springs and nuts 0.120

Keep in mind that I'm sure some parts had more plastic on them, that is why the left and right side parts might not weigh the same. I don't think this is a exact weight but it is close.

Ron

Yes, that is correct, get everything fitted together, check fit/ clearance/ etc before you do any tightening down of the bolts. You can even wait to put on springs until everything is bolted tight. You may want to put a longer bolt to mount the cans to the footpeg if you retain the large stock washer, if you remove the large stock washer 4gasem says stock bolt works fine. I used a longer SS socket head bolt a nylock nut to fasten mine.
The bracket is a place to re-mount the bumper from the stock exhaust for the centerstand. If you keep your centerstand you will need this bumper to keep the centerstand from hitting your nice new Marks exhaust.
Looking forward to seeing it mounted and a video when you get the chance!

Thanks Brian !!

Not sure how I could do that but I'll try. I have a postal scale but it will not be easy to get the pieces to lay steady on the scale.

Here is the best I can do putting each piece on my postal scale, I put a flat box and set the tare to 0, this way I would have a level area to hold the different pieces.

Right Can 1.770 lbs
Left Can 1.780 lbs
Left Collector 0.865 lbs
Springs and nuts 0.120

Keep in mind that I'm sure some parts had more plastic on them, that is why the left and right side parts might not weigh the same. I don't think this is a exact weight but it is close.

Ron

Holy Shit! That's only 9 lb. (approx.). I thought I read somewhere the stock exhaust is like 40 lb. If that's true then aftermarket exhaust is almost mandatory IMO.

Holy Shit! That's only 9 lb. (approx.). I thought I read somewhere the stock exhaust is like 40 lb. If that's true then aftermarket exhaust is almost mandatory IMO.

I really think that my postal scale is off so the weights is most likely incorrect but I have tried 4 different ways to weigh them and each way comes up with a different weight.

Method 1
I took the UPS weight on the box which was 28 lbs and took everything out of it except the packing paper ( which was a lot!! ) then weighed the box again ( on my postal scale ) and it was about 4.5 lbs which would mean the pipes weighed 23.5 lb

Method 2

Right Can 1.770 lbs
Left Can 1.780 lbs
Left Collector 0.865 lbs
Springs and nuts 0.120

Method 3

I weighed myself on my bathroom scale 3 times and got the same weight each time, then I held all the parts and weighed myself again 3 times and got the same weight. The different between my weight and the weight with me holding the pipes was 20 lb

Method 4

I weighed myself again 3 times to get a baseline and then I weighed myself holding the box with it's packing paper without the pipes, the difference in weight was 5 lbs so if I take the UPS weight of 28 lbs minus the box weight of 5 lbs the weight of the pipes alone would be 23 lbs

So I would lean more toward the 23 lbs than the other weights.

I guess that is the best I can do.. that's my attempt at being a weird scientist :rofl_200:

Ron

i'd agree with the ~20 isth then.. still 1/2 of oem

Talked with Mark this am....his 4 to 2 system weighs about 15#.

danny

Yeah it's stupid light... It's pretty thin gauge stainless pipe though and his spigots aren't as well thought out as Dales which are CNC machined I think.

Latest posts

Back