Harley Grips and Pegs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I ride with a bunch of Harley boys and they're always dragging me to the different Harley shops during our rides. I have to say that the Harley dealers know how to treat their Customers. I've eaten a lot of free meals at the customer appreciation events they always seem to be having.

Anyway, I was looking at the huge selection of accessories that are available for Harleys and fell in love with a matching set of Grips and Footpegs. I tried to find something similiar for the Max but no luck. I was at the York Harley shop the weekend before Labor day, staring at the grips and decided, what the hell, they're made out of metal, the bikes metal, I'll find a way to make them fit.

It took a number of trips to the hardware store but here they are.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 101
How did you get the hand grips to fit? HD uses 1" or larger bars to our 7/8" bar. :ummm:

How did you get the hand grips to fit? HD uses 1" or larger bars to our 7/8" bar. :ummm:

That's true but right off the bat, the right one fits because of the throttle assy. Our bars are 7/8" on the left and 1" on the right. I just bought a cheap dirt bike plastic throttle tube and cut the ends off and glued it inside the new left grip.

The Harley grips use a throttle cable that is inside the handle bar control pod so both the new metal grips have a hard rubber piece that sticks out to fit inside the control pods. I just cut that part of the new grips off. This made them a little short, they're only about 120mm anyway so I used the ends of my old grips ( the cheap foam ones but they have a nice chrome collar that the Harley grips fit right into) to space them out. The other alternative was to cut a litte bit off both ends of the handlebars but I didn't want to do that. Also, I used a glue that is nice and thick and fills in a little bit of space as the grips are just a little bit loose fitting.

My bike came with drag bars (not sure what kind or whatever) i like the feel of them but am thinking about new grips and barend mirrors.

I'm a little confused on some dimensions and how the grips go on. My left one didn't have any glue so the first time i washed it it actually started rotating around. I popped the end cap off (just pulled it) and glued it back on. I was wondering how the throttle assembly works kind of.

Is there a plastic tube that actually rotates and then the black grip fits over it? If thats the case then wouldn't the right be wider than the left? Is that what Dezeez is talking about? that since the bars are 7/8" thats what size the left takes but with the plastic throttle assembly does that put another 1/8" on it so the right grip has to be 1" to fit?

Also does the right side stock end cap pop right on/off like the left side?

Yes, the stock, plastic, bar end will pop right out of the throttle side as did your clutch side. Yes, there is a plastic sleeve that the grip gets glued to on the throttle side.

Yes, the stock, plastic, bar end will pop right out of the throttle side as did your clutch side. Yes, there is a plastic sleeve that the grip gets glued to on the throttle side.

Thanks Mike...

So are the grips two different sizes? Since the left side effectively has to be 7/8" and the right side whatever the 7/8" plus the plastic sleeve?

Also all the bars are 7/8" all the way through right? not 1" on one side or anything?

Thanks Mike...

So are the grips two different sizes? Since the left side effectively has to be 7/8" and the right side whatever the 7/8" plus the plastic sleeve?

Also all the bars are 7/8" all the way through right? not 1" on one side or anything?

The bars are 7/8" the entire length. The grips are two different sizes. The right one is 1" to fit over the throttle tube assy.

The V Max bar is 7/8" end to end. Our right hand throttle control has the plastic sleeve separate from the grip. It goes into the controls and the cables attach to the sleeve. The grip goes over top the sleeve. The Harley throttle control on the right has no separate sleeve. The sleeve is incorporated as part of the grip. That's why it being 1" I.D fit over the original V Max sleeve and bar which is likely around 1" O.D.. He was left to space the left Harley grip(1" I.D.) with a sleeve over the V Max bar (7/8" O.D..)

i got it now. thanks for the claification.

how does the grip slide off of the plastic tube? are they usually glued on? and have to be cut off?

all the info is much appreciated.

EDIT: Also wondering if most "metric" aftermarket grips come in a 1" right end and a 7/8" left end?

Last edited:
i got it now. thanks for the claification.

how does the grip slide off of the plastic tube? are they usually glued on? and have to be cut off?

all the info is much appreciated.

EDIT: Also wondering if most "metric" aftermarket grips come in a 1" right end and a 7/8" left end?

Most times you have to actually slice off the grip from the sleeve. It's easier than trying to save the grip. Sometimes, you may get lucky and get one off.

Generally, older metric bikes have been 7/8". Today, most all metric cruisers are 1" as well. Just things like sport tourers and standards etc... may still have 7/8".

Hope this helps.

G Man

Thanks for the answers so far. just wondering if you can take a look at my last question as well?

They'll work. Almost if not all non-Harley bikes with 7/8" bars use a throttle sleeve so when you buy a set of grips, one side has a larger I.D. then the other. I'm not sure how the Jap cruisers with the 1" bars work.

If you look at a set of new Harley grips, you see the attachment points for the grip to fit into the handle bar control housing sticking out of the end of the grip.

They'll work. Almost if not all non-Harley bikes with 7/8" bars use a throttle sleeve so when you buy a set of grips, one side has a larger I.D. then the other.

exactly the info i was looking for. i would just need 7/8" grip and they would come pre-fitted for one side bigger than the other.

Dezeez. thanks a ton man!

Back