head light, turn signal, won't turn over problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codis8

Reaction score
94' vmax. My front turnsignal burned out last week. I replaced it with the wrong bulb on accident. ( Single filiment in dual filiment socket). Rode it for a day. Took te bulb out. First my head light did not work. Now when I turn the key on the only thing that works is the opposite front turn signal. No starter, no fuel pump hum, no nuetral light, nothin, just left front turn signal. Seems like the starter button does not want to push in? Looked at the headlight bulb. It does not Look burned out. Anyone had this problem? Any parts in common that would cause all these issues? Any fuses besides the ones above the airbox? Any ideas? Thanks! Ready to ride!

Randy, check the main fuse under the seat. It's mounted above the battery on the left side. Should say main fuse - 30A on it. One fuse is spare, the other is actual fuse. Looks for the side with two wires going to it.

94' vmax. My front turnsignal burned out last week. I replaced it with the wrong bulb on accident. ( Single filiment in dual filiment socket). Rode it for a day. Took te bulb out. First my head light did not work. Now when I turn the key on the only thing that works is the opposite front turn signal. No starter, no fuel pump hum, no nuetral light, nothin, just left front turn signal. Seems like the starter button does not want to push in? Looked at the headlight bulb. It does not Look burned out. Anyone had this problem? Any parts in common that would cause all these issues? Any fuses besides the ones above the airbox? Any ideas? Thanks! Ready to ride!

I think that is the key statement there. The start buttons are famous for getting crap stuck in them. It sounds like yours might be semi stuck on, causing the light and no start issue. Try a quick cleaning of it by spraying WD40 in around the button while trying to push it in and out. If that doesn't fix it, you will have to take it apart. Do a search, there is some good threads on how to take it apart and what to watch out for ( like the little ball and spring that flies out).

Well, sprayed WD in the switch and now it pushes like it should but still nothin. The left front signal comes on still. Checked the main fuse, fine. Could the switch still be pushed in internally? The symptoms do sound like start switch, no headlight ect... Is there a relay or something to check next? What normally cooks first? I did lay a screwdriver across the starter relay and it did turn the motor over. Probobly not very good for it but what the hell? All because of a turnsignal bulb, damn!

Check your key switch next....notorious for going bad. It has three wires. Red from battery, brown to fuse box and rest of harness and blue goes to your front running lights and tail light. This is for the park switch setting.

It may not be related, but, the other I did the furbur fix on my bike, as I had the top tree and handlebars off and on a few times while checking the torque on the bearing nuts, when I put it all back together I had a similar problem to yours: turned the key, no headlight, no starter button etc. Followed the wires from the right-hand switch to behind the right air cowl, and found the connector there pulled off (by the weight of the handlebars I guess).

As I said, yours may be a totally different problem, but check that connector all the same :)

Well, sprayed WD in the switch and now it pushes like it should but still nothin. The left front signal comes on still. Checked the main fuse, fine. Could the switch still be pushed in internally? The symptoms do sound like start switch, no headlight ect... Is there a relay or something to check next? What normally cooks first? I did lay a screwdriver across the starter relay and it did turn the motor over. Probobly not very good for it but what the hell? All because of a turnsignal bulb, damn!

There is no relay but the switch could still be funky inside. You should take it apart and take a look. Follow the advice of the above posts also, as it will be 1 of these problems that is causing this.

OK, the blue with black wire coming from the starter button was melted in the connector. Fixed that. The headlight came on for a sec then nothing. Unplugged everything, plugged it back in. Now everything works! See it really helps if you talk to the bike as you work on it. Thanks everyone!

The blue/black wire goes straight from starter switch to the dimmer switch and on to the headlight.

Back