Help, Charging System Flaky than S#%T

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
2 of my Stator Wires fried together at the regulator connection. Actually the Regulator wires. The Power Wire to the regulator was broken. Ohm'd the Stator and they were all even. AC output voltage was 12.8 volts. Ohm'd the Regulator and saw some differences so I put my new spare regulator in. Hardwired all the connections and removed the plug in connections. Replaced the main fuse too.

Now, running at any speed, the voltage at the battery measured 13.11 volts. My Odyssey holds 13.11 volts overnight. Measuring the voltage from the Stator Ground to battery positive reads 13.45 VDC. NOW PULLING MY HAIR OUT AND I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH LEFT TO DO THAT.:rofl_200:

Thanx,
Dave in Florida

Full charge is 12.6V and I don't really see any real issues with what you have.

2 of my Stator Wires fried together at the regulator connection. Actually the Regulator wires. The Power Wire to the regulator was broken. Ohm'd the Stator and they were all even. AC output voltage was 12.8 volts. Ohm'd the Regulator and saw some differences so I put my new spare regulator in. Hardwired all the connections and removed the plug in connections. Replaced the main fuse too.

Now, running at any speed, the voltage at the battery measured 13.11 volts. My Odyssey holds 13.11 volts overnight. Measuring the voltage from the Stator Ground to battery positive reads 13.45 VDC. NOW PULLING MY HAIR OUT AND I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH LEFT TO DO THAT.:rofl_200:

Thanx,
Dave in Florida

So your concern is too much voltage? I wouldn't be concerned unless the voltage goes above 14.5-.8 with the bike running. There is much to be said for having an on-board voltmeter!
According to the Odyssey website, a fully charged battery is 12.8 volts, not far off from what yours holds overnight.
With a new stator and new Odyssey battery, plus a supplemental RR positive wire to the battery post, AND an extra ground to the frame, my bike shows about 14.2-14.5 volts at rpm's above 2K. It will hold about 13 volts overnight.
If you are concerned that your charging voltage(13.1) is too low, try adding a supplemental positive wire, (with an in-line 30 amp fuse). By supplemental, I mean in conjunction with the existing positive wire(that goes thru the "crimp" connection before traveling to the positive post). Do this by stripping some insulation, and soldering on a pigtail wire. After I completed this alteration, I checked the result, simply by removing the fuse on the new wire. I had gained an extra half volt, 13.7-14.2.
Cheers!

Thank You Both. My concern was the 13.11 volt charging rate. Thought that was way too low. Always saw near 14 VDC prior to any problems. This is my 94...

The ground I mentioned as being the stator ground is actually the regulator ground. Measuring it to the positive battery terminal with the engine running reads .34 volts higher than across the battery terminals. :ummm: But an Ohm check of all the grounds says they are 0.000 Ohms.:confused2:

In my opinion , if you're not getting atleast 13.8 volts @2500 RPM you will begin to have hot start problems and the famous Vmax stumble at long stop lights when the fan kicks on. Just my .02 cents

Talked with Jim (VMOA Pres.) in the Cold North yesterday about some Tactical things that aren't available right now. He reminded me of something I'd forgotten THE CRIMP MOD for the charging system positive wiring.
I'll be doing this sometime early in the week.:clapping:

I'm still having troubles. I can have the Odyssey Battery charged as high as holding at 13.2v. When I start the bike the voltage drops to around 12.30 volts. and slowly goes down from there to around 12 volts. I 've redone all the connections everywhere to no avail. Swapped to another battery and get the same results. ????????????????? Been working on this on and off for months and even called in a friend who has come up with no solution either. PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE GRADUALLY GETTING WORSE.

HELP!!!!!! It's driving me NUTS....

Last edited:
I can loan you my R1 mod for a couple of months. I removed it from my 85 when I thought I was ready to put her up forsale, but never did. All wires labeled , 3 to the stator and 2 to the battery. You will need to solder the 3 stator wires and add a fuse to the battery connection, but no biggie there. This would allow you to check out the stator output anyway. PM me an addy if intrested Dave. It was putting out 14.8 with fan and lights on. If you need it longer, no problem......Joe

Thanks very much for your offer Joe, I've had 2 R/R's in. The first had been in for a couple years and the other was new in the box. Both give exactly the same indications.

I measured the stator output voltage from each line to ground. The ElectroSport flow chart tells me that's wrong I believe. Think it says to measure from line to line.?????

A new stator doesn't cost a whole lot and considering that initially 2 of the 3, R/R lines were melted together. I should have looked much closer obviously.:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Any more thoughts about this would be appreciated...

Thanx,
Dave

In my opinion , if you're not getting atleast 13.8 volts @2500 RPM you will begin to have hot start problems and the famous Vmax stumble at long stop lights when the fan kicks on. Just my .02 cents

+1...Been there....done that......

Latest posts

Back