home made Manometer lol

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
By buddy and I re-synced the carbs with his Mercury gauge.The bike runs like its got fuel injection,soo smooth and crisp. "tip for self tuners"..EVEN A SMALL ADJUSTMENT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. When they say "turn the scews slowly" ..it means exactly that ! Any way....I was on the NET and found some plans to make a home made manometer.Well, I just love building things...so I did. I followed the blue print to a "T" "I was going to be the END AL DO ALL mechanic and show-up my buddies mercury gauge....After all, the artical said that it was WAY more percise. I was pretty proud of my little set-up,..I even mounted tunning tools on the back of the board. So I call buddy over for the initional test run. I hook all the lines up and hit the key. YIKES!!!!! to my utter amazment,the bike was drinking the blue fluid....It was like feeding an" I.V "to a vampire!!!! There was SMOKE barreling out of the pipes in seconds. Luckily I used 2-stroke oil for the fluid.THIS DOES NOT WORK I cried out while still laughing.I was laughing so hard I had tears"partly from all the smoke too :rofl_200::rofl_200: My friend said I should of had "restricter plugs" in the lines. He used them when he used his mercury gauge. Well ...it was worth a million,..I dont get to laugh that hard very often.

Last edited:
:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Oh man.......I can picture the scene......:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Thanks for that:clapping:

Nice! My time is too precious to spend it making one... I just paid 80 bucks for one from Carbtune.

I used Mark Miline's last year and liked it. I like that you can toss it around without worry of it leaking out.

Chris

I heard that you can use a piece of coaxial cable for restrictors but you just have to pull out the solid copper wire in the middle.
<<Dave>>:punk:

I heard that you can use a piece of coaxial cable for restrictors but you just have to pull out the solid copper wire in the middle.

Yea that's what Richwrench uses in his (almost identical) setup. Works a treat - makes tuning easier too as there are less vacuum fluctuations.

I like the idea of 2-stroke oil tho, Rich uses ATF (nice red) and I dunno what kind of smoke that would make through the motor :ummm:

Great..coaxil cable...I will give it a try, thanks.:biglaugh:

You can also get inline restrictors cheap at any auto parts store in the vacuum fitting section.

Nice! My time is too precious to spend it making one... I just paid 80 bucks for one from Carbtune.

Chris

Sheesh. I'd like to know where you got one for $80. I paid $100 for mine! Best deal I could find.

Wait. Don't tell me...:bang head:

Sheesh. I'd like to know where you got one for $80. I paid $100 for mine! Best deal I could find.

Wait. Don't tell me...:bang head:

Uhm... Exchange rate my friend... I bought it straight from Carbtune... :eusa_dance:

One positive thing when the dollar is worth more! :eusa_dance:

Chris

The suspense is killing me...:biglaugh:

Good Luck.....

Sorry about that guys....Well I tried coaxilc cable and restricter plugs...but It didnt work. The front right cylinder would pull the fluid up way faster than the others. I even put in 30 weight oil at the end to try slow the action down.....but the front cylinder always sucked to fast and too hard. I played with it off & on for 4 days and finaly gave up. So now its a cool conversation piece LOL. Some times an idea looks really good on paper but fails in the real world. Oh well, I like building stuff like this. I will simply buy the proper tool when the time comes......"manometer fail":rofl_200:

The reason that your one cyl keeps sucking the fluid out is that:

1) the oil being significantly less dense than mercury needs significantly less difference in vacuum to show the same difference between two legs.

2) Your one carb is waaaaaaay out of sync with the rest of them, causing it to pull hard enough to suck the fluid out of one leg entirely.

I had the same issue when I built mine, although I did cut the engine before sucking all of the ATF out of the one tube. I had to go through a process of adjust, start, cut, adjust, start, cut.....until the ony cyl would no longer suck the manometer dry. Once past that, the homemade version works like a champ.

i was doing the same thing with mine - start, cut, adjust, repeat...
except i wasn't thinking far enough ahead to use "heavy" fluid :ummm:
i was thinking - water will evap quick if it gets sucked in and a drop of food coloring will make it easy to read... :rofl_200: oops

I don't think the difference between water and ATF or 2 stroke premix will make enough difference.

If you look at the specific gravity, you can see how much of a difference you have

Water: 1.0
ATF: .875
Mercury: 13.58

Mercury is more than 13 times as dense as water and about 15.5 times as dense as ATF. This means that a 1" difference on a mercury manometer will yield a 15.5" difference on an ATF manometer. As you can see, you don't need that much of a difference to suck the fluid out of one leg of a homebrew manometer.

As far as different fluids go, there really is nothing that is even close to mercury with respect to specific gravity. I would stay away from water as you really don't want to flood your cylinder with water if you happen to suck one leg out.

Filling it full of ATF or 2 stroke is not such a bad thing but a cyl full of water would not be so good.

Back