How does your vmax handle on the twisties??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax06

Reaction score
Just wondering, because once i took a sharp turn at a stop light i ended up scraping my foot peg on the road, which kind of freaked me out after that making me lose my confidence in the max a little bit :rofl_200: Does that happen to you?

I havent taken my bike on the twisties yet, but planning to.

How would improve the handling and making it similar to sport bike, without spending arm and a leg?

Im already even thinking about getting a crotch rocket as a second bike...
And the reason i said "crotch rocket as a second bike" because i wouldnt dare to get rid of the max after a little episode where i taught an 03 r1 a lesson from light to light, as well as couple cocky HD dyna guys :clapping:

Thanx guys.

I would think that the first things I would change would be the suspension. Installing racetech/ progressive forks springs, a decent set of rear shocks and a set of solid engine mounts would be the first items. Then if you have a pre '93 the brakes would be next, adding HH pads, larger rotors/ r1 or busa calipers/ SS brake lines would be next. Stickier tires than stock or new wheels with radials
On my '92 I have done the following: progressive springs lowered 2" 15 wt oil, 13" progressive HD440 shocks, Shinko tires F/R, HH pads, larger wavy rotors, SS brakes lines, and wider drag bars (31"). These changes have improved steering response and made cornering much better, less wallowing in fast sweepers.
I am adding delrin engine mounts, busa brake calipers, Morley jet kit, ricor intiminators for the forks w/ 5 wt oil this winter. These will help make the Vmax handle tons better but it will never out handle a modern sport bike. Kenny Roberts Sr. I could probably take the Vmax and be faster than a lot of riders on modern sport bikes, but I will never be able to. The Vmax is not in it's element in the twisty's, were much better off maximizing our potential stop light to stoplight.

Last edited:
You'll have a tough time dragging the foot pegs on a stcok hiegth bike, if you do you'll know your pushing it pretty hard as most peoples "lean angle sensor" won't let them go that deep.

As for making it better, Redbone is on the money with his suggestions.

Here are the handing related things I did on mine.
It's still a 600lb pig but it will never scare the shit out of you with nasty habits like a stcok one, and to be honest, well ridden you can pretty much hang with any one as long as they are not out to ride like a demon at 100% limit trying to prove something....

Here's they are

Front springs
Front fork cartrtidge emulators
Rear shocks
Frame braces
Solid engine mounts
Braced rear swingarm
18" wheels to allow running radials
Rear set foot pegs
Drag bars, not for a lot of people but they fit me well.
I'm also running a steering stabilizer but don't think it's really that helpful?

Some people lower the bike, I did mine for a while but feel now that a stock heigth bike is going to handle much better, The max looks cool as hell lowered tho'

I need to upgrade the brakes probabaly but really don't have any compliants about the stock ones, probabaly cause I just don't know how good ones feel, since every one says they suck, then they probabaly do compared to better stuff out there

Rusty

Last edited:
For the weight it handles well. It can easily run wide on you if your not careful. Just keep looking thru your turns in the direction you want to go in. And all should be well. Your bike will go where your looking. Look off the turn and you are off the turn.
When I had my 93 VMAx my friends hated me. We used to hit twisties and I dragged so much hard parts that they said they needed welding goggles to follow me. The bike does ok. But by todays standards you can do better. There are better big bikes to combine your interests. I imagine almost any liter standard made today would give the VMax a run for its money on the straight. And all would out handle it. But the VMax has an awesome v4 small block chevy raped a NASCAR thing going on.

I have a crotch rocket for the twisties... I have thrown a crap ton of money at the max and I'm not nearly as comfy riding in the twisties on it as I am on my SV.

i drag my pegs all the time. seems to happen easier when i have a passenger. i've learned like the 1/2" before they drag pretty well and keep it there tho.

however if it bugged me. i would think that a nice pair of rear-sets would do the trick.

I think the later ('95 and after) can use their stock calipers, my '92 calipers were overmatched with the max to the point that it made go much slower just because of the stopping distance required and the brake fade was bad too. I put on 298mm wavy rotors, HH pads and this year SS brake lines which helped tremendously! I am not satisfied though and this winter I'm adding '02 busa calipers which should nearly stand Redbone on the front wheel with it's clamping ability.

When your ass starts to pucker, push it a little harder.
The Vmax handles like a pig, but it can be overcome even in stock form. It's mostly a reflex that keeps you from pushing it (Rusty's lean angle sensor).
My chicken strips are about a 1/4" wide, and my pegs are ground down. I have no problem keeping up with the sportbike guys/gals if I feel like doing so.
The thing is, It wasn't made to do it, but that doesn't mean it can't. What's that old saying? It's more fun to make a slow bike go fast than to make a fast bike go slow

I've ridden my Vmax at Deals Gap the last couple of years and can agree with the suspension suggestions made by most.

From a technique standpoint (not that I'm any form of an expert rider or anything) I can say that the Vmax likes constant throttle through the turns, and it helps to get "up on the tank" on the forward portion of the seat, Firm and smooth counter steering until you achieve the lean angle you want or you start dragging parts.

Last year I passed a few sportbikes, even when riding two up. But I go to Deals Gap for a week each year and have run that road many times.

Riding Deals Gap at a good pace is actually more satisfying than riding one of my sportbikes at the same pace. It takes a lot of work on the Vmax and on a sportbike I can never (or I won't) approach the speeds I do on the race track.

My two cents. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, tags, and shipping...

Never had a problem with mine, always thought it was a myth until I took a friends for a test drive. The only thing that got me through the corner was will power! and that was at 20mph...
He has since changed his head bearings & put in progressives whice have made a marked improvement

The Max can be made to handle quite nicely in the twisties, how good depends upon how much $$$$$ you want to spend. I have ridden mine in so many variations across the spectrum from stock to highly modified and have found it just keeps getting better. For your money solid motor mounts, good rear shocks, and either new fork springs + racetech emulators or RICOR intimidators (which value wise are a better deal as you keep your stock springs). Then look at braking power.

Having said that I would also recommend that you keep up on riding technique. Going through a corner improperly, no matter what type of bike you are on, is flirting with disaster. Learn your bike, its quirks, and how to corner it the way that best suits you. That is the only way to get the best out of your Max.

Oh yeah, and I am on my 4th set of pegs so dragging parts isnt a bad thing, just means you like to lean:eusa_dance:

All the previous is good stuff but did anybody mention pushing the fork tubes up in the triple trees 1/2 to 1"???? Makes a big difference the the speed of turn in and quickness of handeling. Counter steering is much easier but not twitchy. I live at the bottom of a 20 mile twisty mountian road and my" 600 lb pig " handels it great.
Lew

I have a crotch rocket for the twisties... I have thrown a crap ton of money at the max and I'm not nearly as comfy riding in the twisties on it as I am on my SV.

by the way, i know this is off topic, but how quick is that sv? overall performance, compares to a new 600cc SS bike??

by the way, i know this is off topic, but how quick is that sv? overall performance, compares to a new 600cc SS bike??

im also interested in the power of an sv

Mine put down only about 104bhp when I tuned it but the torque is around 70 and is flat as heck. Rider to rider stock to stock it's about the same as a vmax. A new 600 will eat it as well but when you get to the corners you jet out of them quickly with that instant torque. Overall IMO it's MUCH more fun to drive, as the 90? twin has a lot more character than an I4. :eusa_dance:

Mine put down only about 104bhp when I tuned it but the torque is around 70 and is flat as heck. Rider to rider stock to stock it's about the same as a vmax. A new 600 will eat it as well but when you get to the corners you jet out of them quickly with that instant torque. Overall IMO it's MUCH more fun to drive, as the 90? twin has a lot more character than an I4. :eusa_dance:

Interesting...

I think i will be purchasing a 750gsxr or an r6 in the future though...

Most of my friends have baggers or big jap v-twins, so in comparison I have no problems keeping up in the turns, and straight lines are a complete shut out. I have a 85 max in sweet condition and other than some chrome tid bits it's been piped,jetted,& filtered. thats all. I wish I had the frog skins to put all of those handling improvments on, but unenjoyment pretty much just pays the bills. Some day I'm going to show up at seans w/ a big roll of cash and we'll go to town on it..what do ya say mr morley?

shorthair........

First thing I did was drag bars and the UFO fork brace. Waiting on frame braces from a fabricator. Adding progressive fork springs. Having ridden sport bikes for 15 years, it handles better than I had expected. A friend put Shinkos on and said it really improved his lean capability. I'll do that soon too. Prior posts list several mods, but they add up pretty quickly. I take the 954rr to the Gap every year and leave the Max at home where the straights are. There nothing like blowing someone up when they assume you're a cruiser!

My vmax handles about as well as a mid 90s liter bike. (FZR1000..GSXR1100) I've spent enough money in the wheels and suspension of my bike to buy one of those bikes in excellent condition.

I could have bought a cheap sportbike but wanted to functionally customize a vmax. Everyone around here has a CBR/GSXR/ZX/YZF. no one here has a bike like mine.

My vmax handles about as well as a mid 90s liter bike. (FZR1000..GSXR1100) I've spent enough money in the wheels and suspension of my bike to buy one of those bikes in excellent condition.

I could have bought a cheap sportbike but wanted to functionally customize a vmax. Everyone around here has a CBR/GSXR/ZX/YZF. no one here has a bike like mine.
Indeed, no reason to be just one of the pack! When riding a Vmax you always stand out.:punk:

Back