How does your vmax handle on the twisties??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where can you get the solid motor mounts? I'm on my second Vmax and I'm starting the parts changing game. The first one had everything done to it except solid mounts, think I'll try them this time. I have had FZ1s, a busa, a xz14, a zrx12 and still have a zzr1200 that's been to Deal's Gap twice. I still love riding a Vmax, that small block Chevy sound is tooo much to forget. I'd buy a new Max but can't reach the ground sitting still, they are HUGE!!!!

ya i noticed that with the gen 1 as soon as i got it. it likes constant throttle in a turn to keep it picked up

I can't flatfoot my Gen 1....one heel is always up a bit. Then again, I'm a relatively stumpy 5'8 so no surprise.

Sean(one2dmax) sells solid mounts. You'll get them fast and at a good price.

My '97 came with stock motor mounts, but cross braces across the frame. It looks like the only modification was two tabs welded to the frame roughly where your knees are standing up over the bike(I know, since my knees hit the ends of the bars at stoplights). I have yet to detect any frame flex from it, without the annoyance of extra vibration in the handlebars. The p/o said he picked them up as a kit off ebay for like $100. The kit came with both bars, hardware, and the two needed weld-on tabs. The welds on the bars are clean and professional looking, overall they definitely look like a quality piece. He also got the bars painted metallic silver to match the bike's color. I don't have a clear direct picture of them, but you can get a pretty good idea from this one.

I think my Max handles very good considering it's weight and wheelbase. I've ridden the R6s in that photo and I can say it's no contest there for "flick-ability" and overall "confidence", but it's really not bad once you get used to it. Maybe from riding the max and trying the R6 made it seem really good, I imagine being used to a sportbike would make the Max seem like a pig no matter what. My only issue is if I hit a bump during a hard corner, it gets a pretty good wiggle, but I'm blaming that on the head bearings I still haven't gotten around to changing. Progressive fork springs, no air, and Chinese "nicetect" rear shocks aka ebay special. They're a bit on the squishy side with a passenger, but for solo(99% of riding) I think they're fine. They have two springs on them, the main coil, then a small, stiff "pre-pre-load" spring that's independently adjustable. There's also a shraeder valve on the reservior where you presumably can add air. I've never touched them, they work just fine and look kind of cool. ME880 tires, stock front and 170 rear.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 31
I'm a pig and my Max is a pig and we both know it! I'm not gonna put on lipstick to be something I'm not! All the mods mentioned have merit for the most part. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself that ex-stunted sportbike that has no more fairings left, good sticky tires and no signals or mirrors. If you are asking how to make tour Max a sportbike, you got some "squid" in you. Heck a 250 Ninja is a heck of a lot more fun to lean over for about a grand. I say get good sticky tires for your Max and a second bike. Don't forget to increase your nsurance policy

2012 ZX-10 will be pushing nearly 250 hp according to rumors. Buy one of them for the price that the original Gen I's sold for... It's gonna be a rocket.

I have a crotch rocket for the twisties... I have thrown a crap ton of money at the max and I'm not nearly as comfy riding in the twisties on it as I am on my SV.

Couple of cool standards coming to the U.S. Saw my first CB1000R, Honda. Very nice. And Kawi's new liter standard looked pretty cool, and just over $10k.

I went thru the whole thing about trying to make a Vmax handle better and realize it ain't no sportbike, but I love to get the most possible out of every bike I ride and I love giving my sportbike buddies something to laugh about. Also near death experiences bring life into perspective!!! Here are some of my bikes.

Attachments

• BikerX 004.jpg
    BikerX 004.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 29
  • bikerx 023.jpg
    bikerx 023.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 29
  • bikerx 047.jpg
    bikerx 047.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Hayabusa BikerX 003.jpg
    Hayabusa BikerX 003.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 27
  • misc 301.jpg
    misc 301.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 27
  • misc 427.jpg
    misc 427.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 27
  • PICT1353.jpg
    PICT1353.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Vmax streetfighter 2004 003.jpg
    Vmax streetfighter 2004 003.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 45
How does my vmax handle on the twisties?? "Like shit",compared to the other sport bikes I ride with.I could bye a nice pre owned R6 for what it would cost to completely modify a Vmax for handling.At least my friends slow down after a while & let me catch up.:auto182:

Here's apic of us going thru the " Dragon's Tail", My "Harley" buddy, Glen, scraping behind me.

Attachments

• img_8436.jpg
    img_8436.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo7h.jpg
    Photo7h.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 59
At least the Vmax has decent cornering clearance. I mean you gotta really lean it over to scrape, I've only barely touched the pegs once or twice taking an off-ramp way too fast.

The M109 scrapes the pegs making turns at intersections, no joke. It handles pretty well for the enormous bike it is, but if you take a turn with even a bit of "spirit", you'll hear the scrape almost instantly. A bit farther on a right turn and the bottom of the exhaust drags also. It drags the exhaust way before my Max touches the peg. I have to wait for him in corners, since he doesn't want to grind a hole in his exhaust trying to keep up with the Vmax that supposedly "handles like crap".

So while there's things that handle a lot better than the Max, there's also things that are worse, so count your blessings rather than complain about them.

At least the Vmax has decent cornering clearance. I mean you gotta really lean it over to scrape, I've only barely touched the pegs once or twice taking an off-ramp way too fast.

The M109 scrapes the pegs making turns at intersections, no joke. It handles pretty well for the enormous bike it is, but if you take a turn with even a bit of "spirit", you'll hear the scrape almost instantly. A bit farther on a right turn and the bottom of the exhaust drags also. It drags the exhaust way before my Max touches the peg. I have to wait for him in corners, since he doesn't want to grind a hole in his exhaust trying to keep up with the Vmax that supposedly "handles like crap".

So while there's things that handle a lot better than the Max, there's also things that are worse, so count your blessings rather than complain about them.
That M 109 looks cool but handles like a tank in my oppinion. I put some 1 1/2 drop dog bones on one last week you really could not turn on it.

Your right Ra,there are bikes that handle worse then a Max,and many more that handle better.It is what it is but no matter what, the mighty Max will allways be -------->:eclipsee_gold_cup: No complaints!!:eclipsee_gold_cup:

Seems a little counter-productive to try and make the Max handle like a sportbike...it wasn't built with that in mind...you wouldn't expect a 4x4 to handle a road course , not efficiently anyway . :confused2:

Of course that's easy for me to say cause I just did some New England back road twisties on the RC51 yesterday...:eusa_dance:

I think my Max actually handles pretty decently at low speeds in the twisties. Plenty of ground clearance (I'm not lowered) and it's not losing either end easily (Tourmaster tires).

Now, if we talk about high-speed (over 60mph) twisties, that's another matter altogether, as then it's wobble central and simply scary.

^^^^

That about sums it up. I can take the 30mph corners at 55 no problems from the bike....steady, confident, tracks great. Switching to ME880 tires helped a lot in that department. The I87-S exit 7 ramp is a long, 270 degree sweeper marked for like 35mph. I've shoved the Vmax through it pushing 70, thats when it gets a little wiggle after hitting an expansion joint or other bump in the road. Riders behind me said my right peg was maybe an inch off the ground....that's about as hard as I want to push this bike in a corner. It a quick wiggle, only a couple oscillations before it stops on its own. Never felt like it was going to off me, but it is "unsettling".

Once you get it wound up over 100, it is amazingly hard to make it go anywhere but straight. There's a somewhat sharp bend in 87N, a little before exit 23 for Warrensburg. There's a sign that says 55mph down from the 65 speed limit. My truck takes it just fine without breaking cruise at 72. I've taken it on the Max at right about 95-100 or so. At that speed, it takes a LOT of strength to even induce counter-steer by pushing on the bars, and it barely veered off straight. I had to back off a bit through the corner, since I was "losing ground" and drifting toward the guardrail....I just couldn't make the bike lean any harder at that speed.

Like I said, near death experiences bring life into perspective!!!! Almost went of the top of a 50mph corner at 85mph, the bike just wouldn't come down. It was 200' off the other side. Laid off the side countersteering and finally dropped down just before going over. I almost shit a brick!!!!

Back