how low can you go

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all the advice and ideas!!
I have a pair of shinko's on the way.Better safe than sorry. My front tire doesnt look that bad but it has same miles as my back tire so I'm not taking the chance. Oh and I went with 110/90v-18 on front and 170/80v-15 on the rear:eusa_dance:

Those are the sizes I run and it's fine. Shinkos hold the ground really nicely, but the rear will wear quickly if you run it hard. Can't complain at that price!

Now go do some decent burnout and take a video cam and a friend..

The total trip was probably 2500 miles in one week (two weekends) with the bulk of the riding getting there and back (approx 800 miles each way - we did that in one day each time). That last leg from goodland to derby was 330 miles or so (seemed like an eternity since it was raining and almost all of it at night). Got a picture of us in the shop with all the gear on and soaking wet.

Sean

thats a lot of miles. damn. i hope it was one of your re-worked seats?

Yea, even then I was still ready to be off of it! That's the most miles I've put on 2 wheels in any one trip. Would rather tow the bikes there (and bring my spare parts) then ride it and wish i had later.

Sean

thanks for all the advice and ideas!!
I have a pair of shinko's on the way.Better safe than sorry. My front tire doesnt look that bad but it has same miles as my back tire so I'm not taking the chance. Oh and I went with 110/90v-18 on front and 170/80v-15 on the rear:eusa_dance:
Good choice in sizes, thats what I run!:biglaugh:

im running my first metz right now and im actually surprised at how well its holding its tread. i put this tire on at 13600 and im at 15300 now, i have no doubt im gonna hit 16500-17000 on this tire before its bald. i blast it at every stop light, stop sign, random bursts of speed, i even stop on back roads just to launch again and feel the acceleration lolol. oh and several runs to 120 mph no problem.

no way in hail youre gonna see 2k out of a dunlop!!

my old magna was only 750cc and i only got 1800 miles roughly out of a dunlop rear, and the front wasnt too far behind.

i put a pirelli on my magna but sold it with 300 miles on it so i cant put out an accurate review. ima have to try one next

Got my new tires in today. The Shinko 170/80v-15 looks like an inch shorter than my stock size tire. Is this correct or will it grow once I mount it and air it up?

It does go taller when mounted, because although it's an 80 profile, the fact it's a 170 mounted on a 150 wheel will squeeze it a bit.

went ahead and mounted my new Shinko's :eusa_dance: I'm going to leave the burnout video to someone else that wants to let her rip lol All I can say about the mounting was the front tire kicked my _ss tryin to get the beads to seal. Finally got it after having to air it up to 60 pnds to get the beads to pop in place even useing lots of soap then with a huge bang that scared the bageebees out of me lol

went ahead and mounted my new Shinko's :eusa_dance: I'm going to leave the burnout video to someone else that wants to let her rip lol All I can say about the mounting was the front tire kicked my _ss tryin to get the beads to seal. Finally got it after having to air it up to 60 pnds to get the beads to pop in place even useing lots of soap then with a huge bang that scared the bageebees out of me lol

The Metz Lasertec I mounted a couple weeks ago did the same thing, valve stem out, massive air pressure, beat on it with a rubber mallett, well lubed....finally it popped? I wish they wouldn't do that....makes me uncomfortable! :bang head:

the guy that does my tires (i've watched him a few times now) minimum PSI has been around 60 or so. the front has needed up near 100 a couple times to pop.

Who cares about how the tread looks cosmetically? Some tires now make a big deal of their "aesthetically pleasing" tread pattern meant to "complement your bike". I have yet to see a bike and go "well, it's nice, but the tire tread pattern just ruins it for me". Plus, you can't see it at all when the Max is meant to be seen, at high speeds.

Thanks for the tip about fattening up the back. Think I'll keep the stock front size (to keep the speedo accurate), and bump to the 170/80 in the back for a bit more traction during vboost moments.

Back