How many of us on this forum

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaha upgraded the assembly somewhere around 2001 or 2002 if I remember correctly. I just ordered the whole part with o-rings and all. Easy fix. Just have to remove the oil pan which necessitated lowering/removing the header pipes.

I bought an 86 in 2007 with 17k. I has not been done to my knowledge. I have 27k on it now.

HOW MANY OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE DONE THE OIL "O"RING REPAIR IN THE OIL PAN & WHO'S KIT DID YOU USE ? AND IF YOU HAVE NOT , HOW MANY MILES ARE ON YOUR V-MAX WITHOUT IT & WHAT YEAR IS YOUR BIKE ?:confused2:

The late models were supposedly redesigned to keep this from happening but when I had my headers off to replace with Holeshots I decided to take the pan off and put Tom's COO plastic button in there. The thing is tiny but costs a fortune so be aware of that when it comes in the mail. Will it help? Not sure... Couldn't hurt though.

Chris

07 purchased last March with 3000 miles on it. Not done as I it is not needed on my year model as I understand it.

2006, 3500 miles, no fix, I am not planning on doing anything.

'90 w/33,000 .Oring had completely broken in 2 .Oil pressure around 20-25 @cruising rpms(4k-5k).Did Kawi O ring & Cycle one off O ring 'pop stopper'. Oil pressure now about 10 psi per 1000 rpms.

89 w/33,000 mi. No fix. Dunno pressure nor current condition. Looks like i'm gonna have one more thing to do when i upgrade the clutch and shift star...!

'90 w/33,000 .Oring had completely broken in 2 .Oil pressure around 20-25 @cruising rpms(4k-5k).Did Kawi O ring & Cycle one off O ring 'pop stopper'. Oil pressure now about 10 psi per 1000 rpms.

This makin' me paranoid on my '86 now... Sure I don't drag race it, but there's always that dodgy right wrist spasm I suffer from that sends me to 9k rpm in a flash.. :confused2:

What the best source and deal on an oil pressure gauge? Those lil' ones that mount straight on the motor? :ummm:

This makin' me paranoid on my '86 now... Sure I don't drag race it, but there's always that dodgy right wrist spasm I suffer from that sends me to 9k rpm in a flash.. :confused2:

What the best source and deal on an oil pressure gauge? Those lil' ones that mount straight on the motor? :ummm:
NG,
I would save up for one mounted up higher on your bars or gauge cluster, I know I would not want to look down at the side of the motor and try to read the oil pressure when getting on it hard.

NG,
I would save up for one mounted up higher on your bars or gauge cluster, I know I would not want to look down at the side of the motor and try to read the oil pressure when getting on it hard.

+1

The handlebar mounted gauge is best one IMO. I only had one complaint when I had mine... The gauge was not backlit. So you couldn't see it very well at night.

120,000 miles.
Never did it, and no one else did because I bought it new..
(you probably knew that, but I like to brag about mileage):punk:

Now, if the damn motor explodes, I'm really gonna kick myself in the ass.....

~13 k miles, no problems, not sure if PO/original owner did the pop stop fix. I doubt it though as I picked up Rebone with 4300 miles on the odo.
And yes, I viewed this thread at least 5 times before this post... :rofl_200:

120,000 miles.
Never did it, and no one else did because I bought it new..
(you probably knew that, but I like to brag about mileage):punk:

Now, if the damn motor explodes, I'm really gonna kick myself in the ass.....
Bill you're making me nervous now. I'm going to have to drop the pan just to have a peek when I have my exhaust off next month. :clapping:

I've had a '86 apart and saw the o-ring puked out which I KNOW isn't the right way so I thought better to be safe then sorry.

I've never lost an eye yet I still wear safety glasses... Never NEEDED a helmet from an off BUT I still wear one...

Just my thought

32k miles on my '01, no o-ring fix that I know of. This conclusion drawn by the fact that ZERO performance upgrades are evident on the bike, just silly cruiser windshield and pegs, that's the only things ever touched. So if it was done I don't know how to tell.

Running like a champ so far.

ACCORDING TO THIS http://imageevent.com/wforest/spanishflyermyvmax STARTING ON PICTURE #21 , THE 1999 -2007 V-MAX HAS A TALLER OIL PIPE THAT HOLDS THE "O"RING UP INTO THE HOLE FURTHER BUT , DEPENDING ON WHO YOU TALK TO THE RUBBER PLUG UNDER THE PIPE THAT SITS IN BETWEEN THE OIL PAN & THE OIL PIPE THAT HOLDS IT UP INTO THE HOLE & KEEPS IT FROM BLOWING OUT GETS SOFT FROM BEING SUBMERGED IN OIL AFTER YEARS & CAN STILL LET THE PIPE DROP DOWN FAR ENOUGH LETTING THE "O"RING BLOW OUT ! SO I HAVE ALL THE STUFF COMING FROM TOM AT ; http://www.cycleoneoff.com/vmaxpag2.html AND HE'S A REAL NICE GUY TO TALK TOO !:punk:JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK OF NOT DOING IT !

86 w/9000 miles, po has some mods done. over winter this is on the top of my list. we will see what i find. Jay :biglaugh:

23.000 k,....on my 95. Not sure if the PO had it done , but I'm thinking not.
4-1 header pipe has to come off for ceramic coating in the next month or so.
I'll get it done then.
Any one from Canada have any pipe coating places they know of that doe's good work? Have to check my hotrod pages...

Latest posts

Back