How Much Weight Can A Gen I VMax Lose..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've been out looking at the new Max's, ZX-14, R1 and anything else that's faster than a Gen I VMax. I haven't found anything else stylewise that flips my trigger.

The Gen 1 weighs in at 577.6 pounds dry so, just over 600 pounds with fuel, oil and whatever else that needs to be added in. My quest is to gain performance through losing some of the unnecessary weight. I know, wheels, exhaust but what else is worth looking at and does someone know through what they've done, how much there bike actually weighs wet?

I may be way off base in asking but I want to see if this route will help so I can take on some of the newer 600 cc bikes...:rofl_200:And, Win....

Last edited:
Re: How Much Weight Can A Gen I VMax Loose..

My quest is to gain performance through losing some of the unnecessary weight. I know, wheels, exhaust but what else is worth looking at and does someone know through what they've done, how much there bike actually weighs wet?

I just reweighed mine after a few changes, I'm now down to 594lbs full tank of gas and all the fluids.

There was a thred a while back. with bikes as low as 540lbs.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8852&highlight=weight

Re: How Much Weight Can A Gen I VMax Loose..

I got on a diet & lost 20 lbs.Went from 180 to 160.I could swear I could feal the difference when I got on it....With out doing anything to to my Max at all.I can stay with most 600 sport bike's till I hit 4th gear.After that I back off cause I know I'm gonna get creemed.....Rusty

With the chain drive conversion Toxic lost a ton of weight. Something in the neighborhood of ~100lbs give or take. The best part was losing 50+ lbs of rotational mass! Spools up faster and handles on rails. Another bonus is being able to change final drive ratios with a simple sprocket change.....

KJShover: Thanx for the link, every pound matters. I'm going to set a target at 575 for now, that's 49 pounds the bike has to give up . I should lose 20 pounds myself. I'm at 200 and would be GTG at 180. That would make a nice round figure of 69 pounds total. I like that number...:biglaugh:

rusty: 20 pounds would put me where you were. I can't do 160, I'd blow away in the wind. Most of the time I can get a jump on other riders, it really makes them use every advantage that's not part of their riding skills. Some of the 600's will generally eat me up someplace just over 80 mph if I don't miss second gear.:bang head:

Thevmaxrider: Toxic's a legend as are you. You're right about the chain drive but that's gotta be down the road for now. The coolest part of being able to change the final drive ratio would be stop light to stop light and 1/8th mile. Set the top end back to 120 mph loose 100 + pounds. If I could get a tire hooked up and keep the front end down, it would be like Warp Drive. :ummm::biglaugh:

(rusty: 20 pounds would put me where you were. I can't do 160, I'd blow away in the wind.) WOW! U got that right Dave. Sometimes I feel like I'm hangin on to the bar's like a flag. LOL

Ditch the whole rear inner fender/tailight setup and make your own little LED tailight. You'd be suprised how heavy the OEM setup is.

Aftermarket exhaust. Single rotor and caliper on the front. Early front end. 85/86 front wheel. Smaller tire. Chain drive. Trimmed seat. Rear inner fender and LED lights. LED signals or none at all. Smaller or no mirrors. Aluminum bolts where you can. COP coils/wires. Carbon Fiber body parts. Smaller battery (does not mean it will be weaker then the stock one). Braided lines might be lighter if you get the titanium versions.

We just got in a "mini" stroker crank we had made. 1lb lighter - balanced - and 2mm increased total stroke. Raises compression 1.5pts and can reuse the stock pistons. cc becomes 1234 and will put out more torque and power.

Plastic and rubber shields in various areas. Modified electrical removing some of the safeties like standstand switch and clutch switch. Speedo. Smaller masters.

Sean

I can see how the Mod Monkey could end up owning me... I talked with a couple friends last night who have 2005 R1's they started with 180 hp and a dry weight of 379 lbs. Wet weight somewhere over 400 lbs. 6 speed tranny. Competing with them seems an impossible task. It would be more efficient to buy an R1. R1's just aren't my kind of bike though so I'm right back where I started. All that and the R1's not even the fastest or baddest bike out there.:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Aftermarket exhaust. Single rotor and caliper on the front. Early front end. 85/86 front wheel. Smaller tire. Chain drive. Trimmed seat. Rear inner fender and LED lights. LED signals or none at all. Smaller or no mirrors. Aluminum bolts where you can. COP coils/wires. Carbon Fiber body parts. Smaller battery (does not mean it will be weaker then the stock one). Braided lines might be lighter if you get the titanium versions.

We just got in a "mini" stroker crank we had made. 1lb lighter - balanced - and 2mm increased total stroke. Raises compression 1.5pts and can reuse the stock pistons. cc becomes 1234 and will put out more torque and power.

Plastic and rubber shields in various areas. Modified electrical removing some of the safeties like standstand switch and clutch switch. Speedo. Smaller masters.

Sean
I have done (came with bike) some of that, wonder what my bike weighs, I'll have to look for a scale.

look at the B-king a bud of mine bought one at the beginning of the season....He loves that thing It's really fast!!!!!

overzat: I'm gonna go with Marks soon, just working out the details in my mind. Probably see about a 4 into 2, 13" cans and 2-1/2" outlets. Any thoughts. I want to maintain the Chevy Small Block Sound and don't think the 4 to 1 would do that as well? I know I'd lose more weight with that though...

trentsee: B King's a Badd Azz Bike, but I've always preferred Yamaha and Honda. I just believe the quality is better. I've had 36 bikes, a number from all of the Japanese Big 4. besides, B King looks too Crotch Rocketery for my taste in motorcycles. I'm more the cruiser type.:biglaugh:

marks would not return calls or email so i got kerker 2.5 baffel and seans kit u will not b let down

I'd buy from Sean in a heartbeat but it's gotta sound all V-8 if I do. I don't know that his standard Kerker set sounds like Marks. ?????

Kerker 4 into 1....competition 2.5 inch baffle.......:eusa_dance:

Kerker 4 into 1....competition 2.5 inch baffle.......:eusa_dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ6OA8qzeQs
MMmmm yes! lol Heres my kerker as stated. My friend ohnopopo has a marks 4 in to 1 and it has a deeper, more V8 sound. Hard to compare the kerkers sound to anything, its kinda unique. As far as weight i belive they have to be close, There just a few pipes and a muffler with next to no packing in it:biglaugh:

Back