I shouldn't complain, but...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
Leaving for work at 5AM is so damn cold! I really need to get some good gloves. I have some Fox MX gloves and they're just not cutting it. Thankfully my new job is only a half hour ride away which is MUCH closer than my previous hour ride. That was when it was still warm tho! I know a lot of you guys live in much colder climates, how do you do it?!!?!

Oh, just throw a couple more chunks of wood on the fire and pull the comforter up a bit more! :rofl_200:

Tell you the truth, it's gets tougher every year!! Mid 20?'s this morning....I used to ride in this weather, but not no more!! :punk:

Probly explains why I gimp around half the time....eh? :bang head:

To tell the truth, I just grit my teeth and bear it. Riding here can be a real trial. You just dress appropriately, and some days you just don't ride.
th
th
th
th
th
th

Personally I use adrenaline ,starts to kick in about 80 miles an hour , keeps me plenty warm !

I break down and drive the Caddy on mornings with heavy frost showing. It's OK, that's what they were made for IMO.

i stop at freezing. i could get warmer gear but i figure with black ice and the like why risk it.

What temps are you riding in? I've been out when there is frost on the ground. I don't have any special MC gear. I just wear what I would if I were going to be working outside for 12 hrs. As far as gloves, I just wear a pair of really thick, well insulated gloves. My favorite ones are about 5 years old. They are made by Carhartt. Keeps my hands reasonably warm at highway speeds in the upper 30's. Still get cold fingers after about 1 hr but its bearable.

This is what I trypically wear for an extended ride in the cold:

Feet:
regular socks
wool socks
insulated work boots

Legs:
Long thermal underwear
Jeans
Insulated carhartt overalls

Torso:
T shirt
thermal shirt
Flannel shirt
Hooded sweatshirt
Riding jacket (summer jacket)

Neck:
Just some cheap neckwarmer/baclava thing.

Full face helmet

And the gloves as mentioned.

I've been able to log some miles in cold weather with this gear. It still gets a bit chilly after riding for long periods of time if the temps are sub 40 and no sun.

I missed most of this summer and all of last summer so I have been hitting it when I can.

Honestly when it gets cold you need two things on top of proper motorcycle gear:

1 - newspaper front of torso inside jacket. If u haven't got a windshield that'll cut the wind as good as one.

2 - heated grips. Do yourself a favor - go to fleaBay and get a pair of battery-powered grips with thermostat control, can be had for less than $50 and you'll never look back!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html;js...&_nkw=heated+grips&_nkwusc=heatd+grips&_rdc=1

Last edited:
I put a quick release windshield on for $70 (spitfire) and got a pair of these to put under my riding gloves.

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champ...orted-colors/-/A-14067301#prodSlot=medium_1_1 Can't beat em for $10-15 depending on sale prices.

They work great as liners. Beyond that it's just layers. Shirt, long sleeve shirt, hoody, riding jacket.

I'm toasty down to about 30 before I need to add in long underwear and a carhart bib for the legs.

What temps are you riding in? I've been out when there is frost on the ground. I don't have any special MC gear. I just wear what I would if I were going to be working outside for 12 hrs. As far as gloves, I just wear a pair of really thick, well insulated gloves. My favorite ones are about 5 years old. They are made by Carhartt. Keeps my hands reasonably warm at highway speeds in the upper 30's. Still get cold fingers after about 1 hr but its bearable.

This is what I trypically wear for an extended ride in the cold:

Feet:
regular socks
wool socks
insulated work boots

Legs:
Long thermal underwear
Jeans
Insulated carhartt overalls

Torso:
T shirt
thermal shirt
Flannel shirt
Hooded sweatshirt
Riding jacket (summer jacket)

Neck:
Just some cheap neckwarmer/baclava thing.

Full face helmet

And the gloves as mentioned.

I've been able to log some miles in cold weather with this gear. It still gets a bit chilly after riding for long periods of time if the temps are sub 40 and no sun.

I missed most of this summer and all of last summer so I have been hitting it when I can.

Mike....you drive under 40 mph?? :surprise: :biglaugh:

Heated gloves and vest. I talk to fellow Suzuki owners who swear by them. Can be plugged into the battery tender connector if you have one. Probably cost about 2-3 hundred for the set depending on new, used, name-brand, sale. During my late autumn rides it's the hands that suffer the most and although I don't currently own a set, it is on my Christmas wish list!

Blaine

I have a heated vest and gloves. Best money by far I've ever spent! I can ride very comfortably into the 30's . . .

I wear wool socks or work crew socks with some Nike hiking boots, pair of Dickies cargo pants (work pants) a long sleeve shirt hoodie and Thinsulate lined Wilson's leather motorcycle jacket. I wrap my head and face with a shemagh and wear a full face helmet. Only real comd part is my hands. Got a Motorcycle Superstore catalog today, got some cheapish gauntlets I'm gonna pick up. I got some mad props for you guys riding in temps below 40, it rarely gets below 35 here but I'll be riding in it. My bike is my primary vehicle, fiancee has a Durango, but I don't drive it much.

I put a tee in the coolant hose to the cylinder head and installed a ball valve and reuced down to 1/4" after the valve. I put a bunch of 1/4" tubing all over my riding jacket and gloves. When its real cold out I connect the jacket to the line on the bike, open the valve, and I'm all set.
:biglaugh:

My normal gear is full face helmet, armored leather jacket, t-shirt, armored gloves, jeans/ kevlar jeans, and waterproof riding boots. When the cold weather hits I still wear tha above gear but add a snowmobile balaclava, liner in jacket, 1 or 2 3/4 zip mock insulated turtlenecks over t-shirt, for shorter rides I add thinsulate liner to reg gloves or longer rides insulated gortex gauntlet gloves, coated riding pants and insulated hunting boots.
Wearing all that cold weather gear is constricting to say the least, but the price you have to pay to ride, and it's worth it. I don't ride in the spring until we get some good rains to wash all the sand and salt the pour all over the roads, especially the corners. So mostly I ride in the fall's cold sunny weather and try to eek out as many rides as possible.
I should really install the symtec grip warmers, their relatively cheap and doesn't look too hard to install, probably going to have setup a fuse box to handle all the addon electronics I've added/ adding.

I should really install the symtec grip warmers, their relatively cheap and doesn't look too hard to install, probably going to have setup a fuse box to handle all the addon electronics I've added/ adding.

I have installed several types of grip warmers over the years. The Symtec warmers that go under the grips are the least expensive and work fairly well. Had them on a Suzuki Bandit that I rode to Canada one year and Yellowstone another year. They have a new style called "Heat Demons" that look promising but cost twice as much. They go inside the handlebars so do not require grip removal. They also have a great looking switch setup in black or chrome that bolts to the clutch or brake bracket and looks like it belongs there. Do have to drill a hole in the center bottom of the handlebar to pass the internal wires out. Also don't have the continual movement of the wires when you twist the throttle that you have with the replacement heated grips of the wraps like the Symtec.

Back