Idle adjustem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mista_max

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning the carbs and put back on the bike. Backed out a/f mixture on all carbs then satred it up. Rode forma while to warm up the engine. The bike idles around 3 k and I have the Idle screw all the way out so i have no more room for adjustment.

Wondering how to get the idle back in range. Should i play with the a/f mixture screw or could it be the synch screew also?

Max

ALL THE WAY OUT??????? Turn them in untill it seats (gentle) turn the screws out 2 3/4 to start with set your idle to 10000-1100 rpm . If you took carbs appart they NEED to be resynched also .

Well the Idle (rpm screw) is a black screw facing downward on the left hand side between the carbs. With the idle about 1100, tighten each A/F screw in, until the rpm start to fall off, then back the screw back to the left 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Do this for EACH carb screw. After each screw adjustment, readjust the idle to keep the rpm about 1100. Its as simple as that.

All the way out....makes the bike REALLY RICH!!

You will have to sync the carbs to get them right, A/F will have very little effect on idle. A good starting point is 2 1/2 turns out on A/F screws. You might try turning the front sync screw a little counter clock wise on the right side of bike if you are sitting on it to see if that will bring the idle down. But a full carb sync is in order to get them spot on.

Also does throttle snap shut with "authority "when the bike is off and you twist the throttle and let go....how about the slides.....they move freely when auctioned by hand....

Few basics to check.
As mentioned,sync.i set them by eye get them close then when on bike use gauge to get final setting.....fine tuning......is choke sticking,the plungers......

Thanks for the reply . Just to clarify i have the a/f mixture 2.5 out and the idle (rpm) screw is the one i have no more play with.

Max

Yup sync and throttle cables,free movement is key.....does idle drop if you force twist lightly the grip to closed position???

No change when i grip the throttle close position bit more. I ll sync the carbs and see what hapoens . What threw me off abit is that the synch procedure says to adjust the idle first.

Max

Have to go back and forth. And make sure its warm and blip throttle between screw adjustments and take your screw driver off....it will effect it the pressure ur exerting on it

+1 As your adjustments bring the sync closer the idle will climb....adjust the idle, blip the throttle, then make your next adjustment.

Be double darned sure you have all four carbs seated properly down into the four intake boots. If you don't, and have some air leaking, you may never get it to idle properly.

Also, it's easier to set your a/f mixtures if you get the idle down just under 1K. Makes it easier (at least for me) to 'hear' the slight difference in engine performance necessary to get them set correctly.

thanks guys did the synch once i d synched 1-2 I was abel to ge the Idle in normanl rnage and aftger couple iterations of synch -iddle adjustments .... she purrs

This may sound nuts that me though. Where is the famous - A/F screws there location a picture please.

If you are planning on adjusting the A/F screws you might want to spray some PB Blaster penetrant 24hrs prior. Make sure you have a screwdriver(flathead) that fits tight in the screw. The screws are made of brass and the head of the screw breaks if enough pressure is applied to a seized A/F screw.

If you are planning on adjusting the A/F screws you might want to spray some PB Blaster penetrant 24hrs prior. Make sure you have a screwdriver(flathead) that fits tight in the screw. The screws are made of brass and the head of the screw breaks if enough pressure is applied to a seized A/F screw.

This is crucial....especially on the right side carbs....if you're going to have a problem it's usually with the ones on the right.

Also, just go a little in one direction, then back the other way. Keep doing that, increasing a little each time and be liberal with the PB.

You guy's are the greatest, Every 1 meet here in the forum. I wish, I could throw you all a beer but wifie made me stop drinking after I shrunk her clothes / died them with some oil rags in the washing machine yesterday:bang head:

Awesome got it settled down.....well save your cash buy tires do burnouts and share the pics hahahah I'm sure we will all be happy with that hahahah

Back