Idle Mixture Screw Stuck

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coruscantkid

Reaction score
Hi all, started doing the "shotgun" and got to my final carb and the idle mixture screw stuck. It will not turn and I started to bugger the head. It's not totally effed, but with the soft metal I stopped. Has anyone had this trouble before? What to do to solve it? And finally, where can I get another quickly?

Thanks in advance guys!

Just a tip I used, I've custom ground my long skinny Craftsman screwdriver for a perfect snug fit in my A/F mixture screws and use ONLY for that use. I always use a penetrant the night before messing with these and a tiny shot every couple hours. Don't forget to be willing to go either in or out as movement either way is progress and allows more penetrant to seep in. I've also tapped on the end of the screwdriver but that is a delicate and finesse type move which I caution all to go easy. Lots of small taps, NO brisk whacks!

what he said^^^^^^ put sum pb blaster in the hole for a cple hours. a proper fitting screwdriver is a MUST> you can get replacements for about 6 bux.

take your time with it....id get a new screw also, seems the spring rusts a bit and puts too much tension on the brass screw jams it in there.......pb blaster or aerokroil if you can find it, wicked stuff, even mouse milk.......

Okay guys, I effed up. Tried this and that to get the stuck screw out. My bro-in-law (kind heart that he is) tells me he can get it out. Flash forward 30 minutes, I now have a drilled out, stripped hole where the head used to be. I looked at it after he sheepishly tells me the screw extractor stripped the soft brass.

Any good suggestions guys?

Short of sending it to Sean, I would use a left handed twist drill but there is a huge caveat. I would only do this if you were certain the pilot hole that is already drilled is centered and straight. If it is angled to a side, you will not have far to go before getting into the carb body threads. You also cannot drill deeply either.
I'd prefer the carb off and using a drill press and a collar stop on the bit. Of course start out with as small a bit as possible and get wide as you dare. My experience has been that the screw gets so thin the heat is what is releasing or breaking the screw loose. If in doubt, send it to Sean. There is no gaurantee he will be successful either but I doubt he charges you anything is he can't get it out, plus he can sell you the new screw, spring and o ring not to mention, why not have the best brain surgeon operating. Do I need say what a replacement carb body costs!
Good luck either way.

Send it to Sean.

+1 prolly yer best chance at getting it fixed. or at least get it to someone that has dealt with ths kinda issue b4. buggered mixture screws can be a bitch....but there are ways to extract them.

you can also try giving dannymax a try. he might have a carb for you or able to fix that one. he also does great rebuilds and sets them up ready to go, sync and all. does great work

you can also try giving dannymax a try. he might have a carb for you or able to fix that one. he also does great rebuilds and sets them up ready to go, sync and all. does great work

Thanks Tugla! :worthy:

I think I probly do have a carb body that would resolve this issue....gotta be one in there somewhere....ey? :biglaugh:

Attachments

• 100_2508.jpg
    100_2508.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Tugla! :worthy:

I think I probly do have a carb body that would resolve this issue....gotta be one in there somewhere....ey? :biglaugh:

wait, i think i see mine up there........

i never did ask which one he has buggered up but im sure its 3 or 4 usual......

Back