install drain plugs on lower forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnightvmax

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm going to put progressive springs in the forks and I noticed that if I ever want to change my fork oil in the future I will have to remove the forks or turn my bike upside down, I'd rather have drain plugs to drain the fluid.
It looks like there is a place to install plugs if I wanted to drill and tap a hole in each fork, has anyone done this yet?
MVMX:ummm:

interesting point. i believe the early model forks had drain plugs.

Yes it can be done. Buy the drain plugs for a pre-93 along with the crush washers and the proper drill and tap combination. You will have to completely disassemble the forks so you can flush any metal shavings out of the tube, but other than that it is pretty straightforward. Hell Yamaha even left the flat spot in place to show you where to drill.

Yeah, I saw the flat spots but didn't go through the hassle of dismantling everything and paying the dealer $6 per plug bolt.
Do you think I could do it without dismantling everything and just flush it from top to bottom with cheap ATF? Would I hit internal stuff if I drilled too far?

Drilling into an assembled fork leg is a recipe for disaster.

1) It will be difficult at best to keep your hole square to the flat with a hand drill. Especially with everything that close to the ground.

2) In order to properly tap the hole you will need to drill through all of the way through the leg. This will most certainly deposit metal shavings inside the fork leg, and will most likely result in your bit chewing into the components inside the leg

Take them apart first, it is not all that difficult to do. Sean Morley has some great videos to show you exactly how to do it (If I can do it, anyone can).

While you are at it, throw in a set of Ricor Intimidators or Racetech Emulators for some added damping and performance

Drilling into an assembled fork leg is a recipe for disaster.

1) It will be difficult at best to keep your hole square to the flat with a hand drill. Especially with everything that close to the ground.

2) In order to properly tap the hole you will need to drill through all of the way through the leg. This will most certainly deposit metal shavings inside the fork leg, and will most likely result in your bit chewing into the components inside the leg

Take them apart first, it is not all that difficult to do. Sean Morley has some great videos to show you exactly how to do it (If I can do it, anyone can).

While you are at it, throw in a set of Ricor Intimidators or Racetech Emulators for some added damping and performance

seems like a lot of work, even with the leg off and internals out, to add something for a maint item that needs to be done every few years. shouldn't be a big deal to pop off the forks to drain the oil, esp with a bike that has a Centerstand.

if you wanted to leave them on and chg oil, raise front end, undo bolt, flush from top, reinstall bolt and top up fluid no????

id just pull the fork and dump/flush properly.....i mean there has to be a day you want to hide in the garage for 2 hrs and have a few drinky drinkies no lol

Personally, I would rather take the fork legs apart when it's time to change the oil. This way you clean the inners out completely and check the condition of the bushings, etc...

Mike

if you wanted to leave them on and chg oil, raise front end, undo bolt, flush from top, reinstall bolt and top up fluid no????

id just pull the fork and dump/flush properly.....i mean there has to be a day you want to hide in the garage for 2 hrs and have a few drinky drinkies no lol

yea it'd probably save some time i guess. but then how do you check the level, ideally its with tube compressed, spring out, so it just makes it kind of a pain. plus would the drain be at the lowest level? if not then you're still stuck with old crap.

Personally, I would rather take the fork legs apart when it's time to change the oil. This way you clean the inners out completely and check the condition of the bushings, etc...

Mike

while i don't agree with doing this every time you do fork oil as per maint schedule (2 years) i can undestand doing it every 5 or so.

Latest posts

Back