Is a UFO fork brace worth it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaztheClash

Reaction score
Anybody have a UFO fork brace on their 'Max? I'm wondering if it has any impact on the handling characteristics. Also, do you need to remove the front wheel to install one since it appears to be significantly wider than the stock brace?

It's a debated topic. I think they help to better keep the forks parallel and improves steering precision. I have seen photos of cracked stock fork braces so maybe is some instances an aftermarket brace could be justified as a needed upgrade. There is also a large bling factor that go along with the sweet various fork brace manufacturers for sure!

I think they are just part of an overall approach of many things to do that will help bring the Max up to par. Or at least not make you pee your pants around corners.

If you do just the brace don't expect any noticeable difference.
The bling is nice too.

The fork brace,
Frame braces,
Better front springs and maybe emulators
Braced swing arm
Solid motor mounts
Radial tires (wheels needed)
Better rear shocks

And properly adjusted head/neck bearings and swingarm bearings.

Are pretty much the whole package, although there's more that can be done involving frame gussets in the swing arm pivot area.

I see. I have to opportunity to snag a brand new one from a friend for chump change, so I think I'll take it just on it's bling merit. I'm just reeeeeeally not into removing the front wheel to install something that's just for show is all.

I see. I have to opportunity to snag a brand new one from a friend for chump change, so I think I'll take it just on it's bling merit. I'm just reeeeeeally not into removing the front wheel to install something that's just for show is all.

Front wheel does need to come off on your 2000 max to be able to get the brace fender off.

Mike

I've removed the front fender and brace without taking off the wheel before, but the removal isn't the problem. My concern is the width of the UFO brace while installing. It's something like half an inch wider than the stock brace, so I'm wondering how it fits back between the forks while attached to the fender. Is it meant to be placed on top of the fender while the fender is still on the bike, or will it slide between the forks already attached to the fender like the stock one? It the former is the case the wheel is going to have to come off since there's no way to reach the bolts on the inside of the fender. If I have to go through that much hassle for something that doesn't really enhance the bike's performance I'll probably just pass.

I could tell an improvement with my brace when I would make hard turns...like 90 degree turns. I would get a shake in the handlebars when I would lean the bike past about a 45 degree angle.

I had to take the tire off, fender off, and attach the brace first, then the fender to it.

I've removed the front fender and brace without taking off the wheel before, but the removal isn't the problem. My concern is the width of the UFO brace while installing. It's something like half an inch wider than the stock brace, so I'm wondering how it fits back between the forks while attached to the fender. Is it meant to be placed on top of the fender while the fender is still on the bike, or will it slide between the forks already attached to the fender like the stock one? It the former is the case the wheel is going to have to come off since there's no way to reach the bolts on the inside of the fender. If I have to go through that much hassle for something that doesn't really enhance the bike's performance I'll probably just pass.

The fender bolts onto the bottom of the fork brace so you will need to remove the front wheel to access the bolts. The benefits are slight, but coupled with other upgrades makes it worthwhile. I put one in and the process took me all of 10 minutes.

Well that answers my questions. My buddy wants $20 for a brace that's never been on a bike before so I reckon I'll buy it off him and save it for a rainy day. Thanks, gents.

I think frame and swing arm braces should be before for braces.

I'm inclined to agree with ya on that, but I've yet to come across any frame braces that I like. They all look out of place, like they totally don't belong there to my eye.

I have one on my bike .. I like it:punk: yes tire has to come off but your only talking about maybe a hour to put it on:eusa_dance: I have spent more time than that just looking at my vmax and thinking of things to do to it:rofl_200:

I dident get a seat of the pants feel out of my UFO brace but i do feel that the UFO brace is the coolest looking brace. and at $20 for you it will be the coolest looking and best price. What are you waiting for buy it. hell i bet you could sell it for $50 shipped.

I have both SuperBrace and stock and had them chromed. Tried the SuperBrace and noticed no difference. Went back to the stock one as it looks better IMO. The stock one is pretty sturdy. I always put fork braces on bikes when available but most didn't have a stock brace fitted (especially non sport bikes). I just don't think an aftermarket brace is that much stronger than the stock one to be able to feel any difference.

Back