Just bought my first V-Max, what to check?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gannet

Reaction score
I just bought a 2006 V-Max. I pick it up Sunday. I'm pretty excited, it's something I've wanted ever since the first time I heard one with a Kerker 4-2-1, back in the mid-80s.

I bought the bike local, so I have seen and heard it in person, but I found it through this eBay ad.

It only has 6500 miles, original tires, totally stock, and literally looks like new. I thought I did pretty good at $6k. I was just really pleased to find my favorite year in the shape I wanted without having to do a lot of looking.

I ordered a set of ME880s to replace those 5-year-old tires, and a pair of the black SuperTrapp slipons just to tide me over while I figure out the right package of mods to do. The stock mufflers gotta go ASAP! :D

Ok, so now to my question: what should be done right away in terms of maintenance? Oil change, sure. Plugs? Fuel filter? Anything ?

Thanks for your advice!

congrats man , thats awesome you found one soo close. your gonna find lots of help and great hints from people on this forum.
the crimp fix is great, you can find it here or on vmax outlaw web site. are you going for stock rear tire or 170? i got 170 me880, great tire i like them. the carbs might need a sync and little sea foam wont hurt either. if your going to chg pipes or just mufflers then might have to re jet a little down.
how many miles on it?

how about some pics of your ride.

I just bought a 2006 V-Max. I pick it up Sunday. I'm pretty excited, it's something I've wanted ever since the first time I heard one with a Kerker 4-2-1, back in the mid-80s.

I bought the bike local, so I have seen and heard it in person, but I found it through this eBay ad.

It only has 6500 miles, original tires, totally stock, and literally looks like new. I thought I did pretty good at $6k. I was just really pleased to find my favorite year in the shape I wanted without having to do a lot of looking.

I ordered a set of ME880s to replace those 5-year-old tires, and a pair of the black SuperTrapp slipons just to tide me over while I figure out the right package of mods to do. The stock mufflers gotta go ASAP! :D

Ok, so now to my question: what should be done right away in terms of maintenance? Oil change, sure. Plugs? Fuel filter? Anything ?

Thanks for your advice!

Congrats Gannet, and welcome to the site.

I saw that ad, looks to me like you did real well! :clapping:

Just a fluids change, oil, coolant, final drive gear oil and take a peek at the plugs, that will give you a good indication of how well she's tuned....and drive it, see how she goes.

Any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask....some of the best v max wrenches in the country are right here on this forum.

"If it ain't broke....don't fix it" :biglaugh:

Congrats!!!!!

Nice score!!!!:clapping:

Welcome!!!!:eusa_dance:

best vmax wrenches in two countries, come on Dan dont leave us out already :rofl_200:

best vmax wrenches in two countries, come on Dan dont leave us out already :rofl_200:

Oh shit....I'm sorry!! Absolutely, 2 countries!! Got some really good ones up der, across the line, in Canader....eh? Actually, some award winning wrenches up there!!

:thumbs up:
well better start planning the summer bike rides man, dan is putting on a brownie run up in the north east, might want to chg seat for the long ride :punk:

Oh shit....I'm sorry!! Absolutely, 2 countries!! Got some really good ones up der, across the line, in Canader....eh? Actually, some award winning wrenches up there!!

Award winning????? Where????? LOL.

As the guys said welcome aboard. Like the others said, go with a basic once over and ride the tires off it:punk:. Once that mod monkey has a firm bite in your butt forget it you are toast!!!!:rofl_200:

welcome aboard!!

Your definately going to need some new rubber out back, that tire is looking a little squared off :biglaugh:

HAHAHA what to check first when you get it home? If youre riding it home Ide say youre shorts cause that V-Boost is ganna give you a treat!

I saw RIGHT away why you got such a good deal, on the very first picture all was explained...hes a Harley guy...
Therefore he has no taste and certainly not in a bike like this! Not only is it fast and reliable,but its as fast as it is loud.He probably took one ride and paniced because this was all new experiences to him,put it on Ebay, and sold it to you in a state of shock and terror,

Welcome to the forum,glad to have ya!
and Dont mind me Im just a smart ass...

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase.

Im glad to hear that there is another V Max in Florida. Maybe the mod-monkey will leave me alone and head over your direction.

nice lookin bike......the ebay auction still lokks active tho:ummm:
this is an awesome forum:punk:

Nice bike! Congratulations. You will NOT be dissapointed with it, well worth the wait.

I noticed the auction was still open too. Just would be a little worried about ordering parts and then having it sold out from under me.... Not trying to say thats gonna happen. I just might be a little scared if it were me.

Congrats Gannet, and welcome to the site.

I saw that ad, looks to me like you did real well! :clapping:

Just a fluids change, oil, coolant, final drive gear oil and take a peek at the plugs, that will give you a good indication of how well she's tuned....and drive it, see how she goes.

Any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask....some of the best v max wrenches in the country are right here on this forum.

"If it ain't broke....don't fix it" :biglaugh:
DON'T LISTEN TO DANNY , ONE WEEK HE TAKES HIS BIKE ALL APART , PUTS MARKS PIPES ON , PULLS THE CARBS & JETS THEM , SAYS IT RUNS GREAT , THEN 2 WEEKS LATER HE PUTS IT ALL BACK TO STOCK ! :confused2: THEN HE WILL PULL THE ENGINE OUT OF THE FRAME JUST TO CLEAN IT :rofl_200:HES " CRAZY " .. GREAT GUY BUT " CRAZY " ! .. BUT HE CAN ADJUST HEAD BEARINGS IN UNDER 7 MINUTES WITH 14 PEOPLE WATCHING HIM ! :punk:... I THINK HE EVEN PULLS HIS WHEELS OFF THE BIKE JUST TO CHECK THE AIR IN THE TIRES ! .. :rofl_200:... THE CRAZIEST THING OF ALL IS ; HE HAS 2 V-MAX'S , AND DOES THIS STUFF TO BOTH OF THEM ! ... :rofl_200: ... BUT WE ALL LOVE YOU DANNY ! .. :biglaugh::punk:

Outstanding!!! Some rocket riders will scoff at it but any of them that have half a brain in there head will NOT scew around and toy with you when you hit that throttle hard, they don't dare! Damn I paid to much for mine. that's a sweet bike at a sweet deal if you ask me.

Latest posts

Back