Kosman-style 18" rim?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max_caper

Reaction score
Was checking out the VMax Outlaw site and saw the Kosman 17" conversion for the VMax rear rim. Does anyone make an 18" rim conversion along the same lines?

Blaine

Kosman also makes an 18" version. I have one that I had powdercoated black and added pinstripes to match the paint. Sorry for the poor quality of the last two pics. Taken at night inside my garage under fluorescent light.

Attachments

• 2008-05 Rear Wheel - Left.jpg
    2008-05 Rear Wheel - Left.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 2008-05 Rear Wheel - Right.jpg
    2008-05 Rear Wheel - Right.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 2008-06 - Finished - Right Rear.jpg
    2008-06 - Finished - Right Rear.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 2008-06 - Finished - Right Side 1.jpg
    2008-06 - Finished - Right Side 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 67
if you dont mind m-cman, how much does an 18" kosman set you back roughly? that is a nice looking wheel

looks like its $550 for the 17" rear. so i'd guess $650

Was checking out the VMax Outlaw site and saw the Kosman 17" conversion for the VMax rear rim. Does anyone make an 18" rim conversion along the same lines?

Blaine

There is a form in .PDF flavor that you can fill out for what you want. they can put together just about anything.

I'm going with a 17 this fall. Got the money put aside already, just waiting for riding to end. Just a little over 2 months left.

There is a form in .PDF flavor that you can fill out for what you want. they can put together just about anything.

I'm going with a 17 this fall. Got the money put aside already, just waiting for riding to end. Just a little over 2 months left.

Is there any other reason your going 17inch versus 18 just cause there are more tire choices?

One thing to remember, the 18" sticks farther into the swingarm so a 180 tire will not fit without swingarm mods. I had to do the washer swap to get a 170 to fit. Kosman also mods the front wheel to better allow a 120/70 tire to fit. I know many use that tire on a stock wheel but is is not recommended by the tire manufacturers.

I happen to like the higher gearing for highway comfort and mileage. The circumference is about the same as stock and it fills the rear fender area better. I have the Venture rear end also. I'm not into drag racing so do not need the lower gearing.

There are definitely more tire choices for the 17" but that seems to be changing as some new bikes are coming with 18" wheels.

I bought the wheel from an individual off eBay and replaced all bearings, seals, etc after having it powdercoated. Bought the stripes off eBay also. The stripe vendor sells all sizes and colors including some reflective colors.

Kosman also makes an 18" version. I have one that I had powdercoated black and added pinstripes to match the paint. Sorry for the poor quality of the last two pics. Taken at night inside my garage under fluorescent light.

Very nice stripeing job m-cman!! I've tried putting those on and it's not easy, ended up looking like a 'red slug trail'! :biglaugh:

Yours look perfect!! :thumbs up:

danny

Very nice stripeing job m-cman!! I've tried putting those on and it's not easy, ended up looking like a 'red slug trail'! :biglaugh:

Yours look perfect!! :thumbs up:

danny

It is a lot easier when the wheel is off the bike!!!

One thing to remember, the 18" sticks farther into the swingarm so a 180 tire will not fit without swingarm mods.

Not true, my Carrs have a 180/55-18 with no swing arm mods, no washer swap and fit just fine with the tiniest of offset.

Thanks for the info and the pics. Looks great! How do you like it?

Blaine

Thanks for the info! BTW, you get a fairly decent riding season if you still have over 2 months to go.

Blaine

Thanks for the info! BTW, you get a fairly decent riding season if you still have over 2 months to go.

Blaine

I start as soon as the roads clear and stop when the snow starts to stick. So all and all I average a little better than 5 months.

Not true, my Carrs have a 180/55-18 with no swing arm mods, no washer swap and fit just fine with the tiniest of offset.

That is probably a function of the different wheels. There is no offset on the Kosman and even with the washer swap, it looks centered. I would guess every wheel is different and requires actual fitment to determine the max tire size. On the 18" Kosman, a 180 will not fit and a 170 will fit only if the washer swap is done. Kosman is supposedly using a different wheel for the Max now. Mine is two-piece and I think the new ones are one-piece. So the above info may not apply to the new wheels.

Thanks for the info and the pics. Looks great! How do you like it?

Blaine

I like it fine. The quality is great and the wheel is centered and looks great. It is heavy though. I heard Kosman is using a different wheel for the Max now and it may be lighter.

M-cman, do you have any more pictures of your rear wheel and what size tire do you run.

:clapping:

M-cman, do you have any more pictures of your rear wheel and what size tire do you run.

:clapping:

Just went out and took two pics. My tire is a 170/60-18 Dunlop D220 Sportmax.

Attachments

• 2009-07 - Rear Tire 1.jpg
    2009-07 - Rear Tire 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2009-07 - Rear Tire 2.jpg
    2009-07 - Rear Tire 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back