Left side engine cover leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Noticed that when the bike is on the side stand (not centerstand) it will leak a touch of oil out of the two allen bolts that secure the side left side engine cover. I checked the screws for tightness but they seemed good. The PO gave me the dealer paperwork that shows oil and filter changed a couple days before I purchased. (just got it a month ago) I put it on the centerstand and checked oil level. It is above the max fill line in the window. You can see maybe an 1/16" gap between the top of the oil and the top of the window. Is it possible that there is just too much oil in the crankcase? Signs of a bigger issue?

that level seems fine to me i run mine at the very top of window

Noticed that when the bike is on the side stand (not centerstand) it will leak a touch of oil out of the two allen bolts that secure the side left side engine cover. I checked the screws for tightness but they seemed good. The PO gave me the dealer paperwork that shows oil and filter changed a couple days before I purchased. (just got it a month ago) I put it on the centerstand and checked oil level. It is above the max fill line in the window. You can see maybe an 1/16" gap between the top of the oil and the top of the window. Is it possible that there is just too much oil in the crankcase? Signs of a bigger issue?

Which cover? Stator or middle gear cover?

Which cover? Stator or middle gear cover?

Stator cover/flywheel cover. I cleaned it off last weekend and it has been sitting all week. Last night there was some oil on the cover and just a bit on the floor, maybe the size of a half dollar, so its not leaking a whole lot. Definitely coming from the two bolts that secure the cover. Oil level hasn't seemed to drop since I noticed the problem.

Sounds like a gasket problem. Some dealers put RTV sealant or something like that as well as a gasket. You should only have a gasket and clean mating surfaces.

we've had gaskets shrink on a few of our bikes. Then they crack and start to leak. Just bad timing. Get new gaskets for the middle gear and stator cover and you'll get it fixed up. You will need to partially drain the oil or figure out how to prop the bike over on it's right side (you can tie it down at an angle on your trailer if you have one).

Sean Morley

Found it. It's the orange o-ring that goes on the inside of the flywheel cover. :biglaugh::biglaugh: Glad thats all the trouble is. Part #11 on the attached diagram

Attachments

• Crankcase cover 1.pdf
    133.4 KB · Views: 37
Back