limited slip differential oil additives for slipping clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ibrahim,Try reving it up to 3500rpm and dumping the clutch in 5th gearat a dead stop.Do it on some black top so it doesn't spin.If the clutch is good it will stall right out,if not it will slip.

firefly said:
Update after 400 miles of adding automatic transmission additive to engine oil. my observations:
1- Bike starts much easier from the first time.
2- Engine a lot quieter.
3- Cold 1st gear shift 80% less clunk.
4- Shifting became a click rather than the usual clunk in all gears.
5- The bike is much smooother than it has ever been since new.
6- It feels like the reduction in friction has freed a few horses and could be felt in the super smooth and strong acceleration.
7- Tests I've done to check for clutch slipping 1- hard acceleration on steep hills, 2-hard acceleration in 4th and 5th gears, 3- No pampering riding like I want the clutch to slip.
The result of all these test is No clutch slipping at all!
The bike feels like I am riding on a bar of soap! nothing had that effect on the bike not even after changing to amsoil full synthetic!!!

for the skeptical people, I understand , I was also very skeptical until I tried it, but at the end it is your call to use it or not, I am just reporting my findings and experience with this product.
I wish I knew about it when the bike had 5K on it.

Though I think it is a brutal way to test slipping I did it and the bike stalled, no clutch slipping at all!:bicycle:

shawn kloker said:
Ibrahim,Try reving it up to 3500rpm and dumping the clutch in 5th gearat a dead stop.Do it on some black top so it doesn't spin.If the clutch is good it will stall right out,if not it will slip.

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread so if I say something already said before forgive me.

Doesn't limited slip additive have modifiers in it that INCREASE friction to help the clutch plates in a limited slip rear end better do thier job? I always thought that but admittedly have not researched the issue for myself.....

If I am right I would be scared that the friction ADDER would cause friction somewhere in the motor where it would not be desirable to ADD friction...

I may have the whole concept wrong tho".......

Exactly, that was my original thinking, they must have an additive that enhances the friction of the clutch plates since clutch plates are not metal the additive behaves differently on it than on steel.
This is what encouraged me to use it in the first place and if the clutch developed slipping I would drain the oil then use one quart of automatic transmission oil + engine oil to remove the additive, many have used automatic ATF fluid in engines to clean them out ( as in engine flush oils )

The additive I used made the engine super smooth and shifting is just unbelievable, I did a none scientific test putting some amsoil between my fingers to check how slippery then took a drop of oil with additive, the difference was amazing! super slippery, yet after 1000k the clutch does not slip?

wfcall said:
Sorry, I haven't been following this thread so if I say something already said before forgive me.

Doesn't limited slip additive have modifiers in it that INCREASE friction to help the clutch plates in a limited slip rear end better do thier job? I always thought that but admittedly have not researched the issue for myself.....

If I am right I would be scared that the friction ADDER would cause friction somewhere in the motor where it would not be desirable to ADD friction...

I may have the whole concept wrong tho".......

Last edited:
This is what I said "I think I gained a few horses just by reducing friction!"
Could this be understood as a definite measured & documented increase in horse power? NO!!!
Can an engine gain a few hp just by reducing friction? I think it can! we are not talking about 10 hp, just one or two stray horses, do I have evidence to support that? NO, I just FEEL the bike accelerates stronger faster and smoother. who wouldn't like these effects? especially if the additive does not have an adverse effect on the clutch!

As we all know the lubrication film break down in cold starts and heat due to insufficient lubrication are the main causes of engine wear!

High friction will cause hot spots on metal surfaces causing the metal to fatigue and deform thus increasing tolerance to out of specification resulting in increased vibration and more self destructing effects.

The ultimate in lubrication is zero contact of metal to metal, that happens when a lubricant is sandwiched between metal surfaces and all friction occurs between the lubricant molecules sliding over each other rather than the metal surfaces sliding over each other, this is also known as glazing.
Glazing is not good while an engine is in the break in period but after that it is a welcomed thing as it halts further wear thus prolonging the engine's service life.

So the only concern is will it make the clutch slip????? all I can say is that I have 1000k with the additive in the oil and the bike NEVER felt better with NO hint of clutch slipping (this is a stock clutch that has 30k on it 95% is surface street stop and go traffic)

when my bike was in break in period I noticed that the idle speed creeps up a little as the engine became looser and I actually had to readjust it lower to compensate for that several times until no more idle speed increases were felt. the same thing happened gradually after I added the oil additive which tells me that the engine is revving with less resistance.

I will keep you guys posted for the next 10k

Now after 1500k with the additive in I wish I've added this additive much sooner, It is just unbelievable how smooth and responsive the engine and transmission are compared to before.
I would strongly advice people with new bikes to add it after brake in is over ~ 5k
4 oz to oil is all what it takes.
NO clutch slipping at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firefly said:
Now after 1500k with the additive in I wish I've added this additive much sooner, It is just unbelievable how smooth and responsive the engine and transmission are compared to before.
I would strongly advice people with new bikes to add it after brake in is over ~ 5k
4 oz to oil is all what it takes.
NO clutch slipping at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a little confused here. You keep stating just how smooth your tranny shifts since you added something to the oil (which you are desperately pushing for some reason). This is just your opinion and should NOT be advised for others to try. You have no idea what the long term effect will be and personally, I don't care. I have used regular motor oil and it shifts as fast as a blink of the eye without hearing anything. If people have clutch problems, they need to fix it and not pour some cure all in their oil. In one of your posts for air shifters you state:

"I will not need the full power shifting going 40 mph, I just want to make shifting a little easier and quicker."

And here you've been telling us all just how smooth and effortless your bike now shifts with the additive. Your #25 post here has been copied from the net to a large extent and you want to take credit for it. There are also many false statements in that read:

"As we all know the lubrication film break down in cold starts and heat due to insufficient lubrication are the main causes of engine wear!"

Bull! There is no break down. There is enough film to protect all moving parts and the main causes of engine wear are improper maintenance and mileage. If you think that all the manufacturers only recommend regular oil because they are not as smart as you and what you read on the net, then don't let the secret out.

You keep stating the accumulated mileage on your trial by seat of the pants as 1000K and 1500K. You have any idea how many miles you want us to believe your testing has involved? 1000K = 1000 x 1000 = ONE MILLION MILES. Personally I think you're stretching things a bit here. Some may believe you, but I know better.

Suggestion: When taking information from the Internet, you should state where it came from so as not to confuse others in believing you are the originator of said information.

Notice there is no bashing from my side, only reality. No name calling, no belittling, no spite, no sarcastic remarks, etc. etc.

It works very well, my bike was in top shape before adding it and is in super shape after it , Have you tried it?
you are commenting about something you know nothing about! yes there are many snake oils and one of them is named tune up in a bottle.
This is different and I can say that because I tried it and felt the big difference, so you can never convince me that it does not work! as for long term effects , can you please list some of your concerns "what might happen" to enlighten me and others.
I'll keep every one posted on this matter and let people decide for them selves and hopefully someone that is not afraid to voice his opinion on the product after trying it speaks up and comment about it not me.

There is industry standards and there is higher than industry standers that goes above and beyond what is required by manufacturers, I think this product proved that to me.

I was and still am very skeptical about additives but also very skeptical about what oil companies say, they have the money and researchers that are shaped to their own liking to say what they want them to say to crush the little guy that was probably working for them at one point.
this is no different than the tobacco companies or drug companies, they all back what they say by researchers to beat the other guys product and create doubt among people using the product.

Many companies would effectively put the lid on ideas to protect their interest with no regard to the public and consumer, this causes some to be fired and come up with their own products that really work, some make it others do not.

Last edited:
firefly said:
It works very well, my bike was in top shape before adding it and is in super shape after it , Have you tried it?
you are commenting about something you know nothing about! yes there are many snake oils and one of them is named tune up in a bottle.
This is different and I can say that because I tried it and felt the big difference, so you can never convince me that it does not work! as for long term effects , can you please list some of your concerns "what might happen" to enlighten me and others.
I'll keep every one posted on this matter and let people decide for them selves and hopefully someone that is not afraid to voice his opinion on the product after trying it speaks up and comment about it not me.

There is industry standards and there is higher than industry standers that goes above and beyond what is required by manufacturers, I think this product proved that to me.

I was and still am very skeptical about additives but also very skeptical about what oil companies say, they have the money and researcher that are shaped to their own liking to say what they want them to say to crush the little guy that was probably working for them at one point.
this is no different than the tobacco companies or drug companies, the all back what they say by researchers to beat the other guys product and create doubt among people using the product.

Many companies would effectively put the lid on ideas to protect their interest with no regard to the public and consumer, this causes some to be fired and come up with their own products that really work, some make it others do not.
Have you tried sticking your hand in fire for ten minutes? How do you know it will hurt, have you tried it? I'm not knocking any product and have no need to try anything different than what I know works. When you persuade others to try some product that might be detrimental to the engine, you need to give them a guarantee that if you steered them wrong, you will pay for their troubles. This isn't some kind of kids game where trying stuff just for the heck of it is the name of the game. If you didn't have any problems before hand, why risk something negative down the road? And if that's what YOU want to do, we don't care but don't assure others that it's safe and will improve things down the road. You're making decisions from what you read on labels. What do you expect to read? You do what you want............not a problem. You're running on emotions. There is no way to tell if the bike has gained one or two hp, not by the seat of your pants, anyway. I've been around the block a few times and you don't see me recommend to others what the manufacturer doesn't specify. You've tried every oil out there, all with great results. Bet mine is stronger and shifts smoother than yours. I also don't have a clunk when shifting into gear when cold. Why should I try anything different when all is working well? Just don't get over-enthusiastic about your experimentation, you're only one guy with one opinion. We all have opinions, you willing to try everything we suggest?

One more thing. Making fun of another's bike is about as cool as farting at a table while strangers are eating. Nuf said for now.

What are your concerns? can you list them for us?
If clutch does not slip and everything becomes smoother what are the negatives that will destroy the engine? in the long run, like what? can you name some and let us discuss your concerns!, I'll bust your buble and list the first one for you, "It will clog the oil filter and starve the engine to death" I say NO it does not!!!! want to go into what micron size passes though the filter? try to find something else:) you will say the oil seals will be damaged , I say no this is in a base of oil that is compatable with rubber seals! used in automotive industry.what else can you come up with, please go ahead and discusse these areas without you bashing me, I hope this makes sense to you

IF the clutch does not slip on a stock clutch that has 30k of surface street use, what is the concern? its will either be a wast of little money or you'll love it, very simple to understand.
If you want more logic surface street riding is the most stressful on a bike or car and if the clutch doesn't slip in these conditions it will NOT SLIP at high speeds and on steep up ward inclines. but no you stopped reasoning and just insist that you know better without trying it.
You keep coming back to saying " I might have gained one or two horses just by reducing friction" well let me tell you this is NOT the point at all
the point is friction reduction without clutch slipping but if you want to hold to me saying it will make the bike gain horses then you are confused.
It just confirms what Paul Czernics told you before!

mikemax04 said:
Have you tried sticking your hand in fire for ten minutes? How do you know it will hurt, have you tried it? I'm not knocking any product and have no need to try anything different than what I know works. When you persuade others to try some product that might be detrimental to the engine, you need to give them a guarantee that if you steered them wrong, you will pay for their troubles. This isn't some kind of kids game where trying stuff just for the heck of it is the name of the game. If you didn't have any problems before hand, why risk something negative down the road? And if that's what YOU want to do, we don't care but don't assure others that it's safe and will improve things down the road. You're making decisions from what you read on labels. What do you expect to read? You do what you want............not a problem. You're running on emotions. There is no way to tell if the bike has gained one or two hp, not by the seat of your pants, anyway. I've been around the block a few times and you don't see me recommend to others what the manufacturer doesn't specify. You've tried every oil out there, all with great results. Bet mine is stronger and shifts smoother than yours. I also don't have a clunk when shifting into gear when cold. Why should I try anything different when all is working well? Just don't get over-enthusiastic about your experimentation, you're only one guy with one opinion. We all have opinions, you willing to try everything we suggest?

One more thing. Making fun of another's bike is about as cool as farting at a table while strangers are eating. Nuf said for now.

Last edited:
hello all ,i came into this about a year too late, but heres my two cents on the auto additves on the market, aftermarket auto trans additves that claim smother running ,firmer shifts, new life, is an additve that expands the o-ring seals in the transmission to give it new life.ha ha !!!what this helpful stuff does is swelling o-rings to the point of becoming like a sponge that does not keep its integrity and leaks like its not there !!. imagine all the o-rings in the oil gally of the vmax if any o-rings become affected you will lose your oil pressure or have it reduced to the point of having to rebuild your motor and thats the only way to correct the problem ! PLEASE DONT USE THEM IN A VMAX ENGINE ,because you will lose in the long run i promise. best to you all buckridge:surprise:

I would like to know the effect on oil pressure of using this additive. Too bad the previous poster didn't have a gauge hooked up to be able to monitor that.

My Vmax doesn't have any real problems, per se, but it does clunk into first gear when cold, and shifting could stand to be a little smoother. If I end up getting an oil pressure gauge for my bike, I may pour some of this additive in a few hundred miles before an oil change just to see what happens. If it gives me trouble, I can dump the oil early, and if it works as well as firefly says, then perhaps I will add it back after the oil change.

Back