Lithium battery?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one in my vmax. Lasted 1 season. I accidently left the key on overnight (during some mods where I had all the gauges and headlight off) and drained it down too far which killed the battery. I wasn't able to get it back again and ballistic wouldn't warranty it.

Other then that the only issue I had with it was cold starts. The battery requires a load on it to warm it up before it will turn the bike over very fast.

At that price, does it come with personalized name plates AND someone flown in to install it for you? GD!

Maybe my next bettery will be one.

Now my max is working fine with the Oddysee pc680. Gel battery

You should look for my thread about the Ballistic battery, I have my use report and also a warranty claim experience. DO NOT PAY $269!!!! I paid $100 less than that from a local bike accessories shop. I have both a Shoria and a Ballistic. Both are OK. The Panasonic battery or the Apex that some members use is the cheap shot, but one which gives good service. Be sure to get an AGM one (method of construction). The Odyssey battery used to be a fave on here, but some members have said it isn't as-good as it used to be. Also, check out Sean Morley's advice on fitting a larger battery by a bit of creative battery box trimming.

I am already running a goldwing battery and have been looking at the lithium equilivant of that one to get the most power available lol

I have the standard size VMax battery and use a lithium battery. There is room to spare in the stock battery box and I have had no issues starting the bike.

I am already running a goldwing battery and have been looking at the lithium equilivant of that one to get the most power available lol

I bought a odyssey for around $100 some years ago and it still works like a champ.

Is the a reason I should pay 75% more (or maybe more than that) for this new technology? I understand they are lighter but is there another upside to them?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When I bought my Vmax in April 2008, it had a bad battery in it. I immediately replaced it with the Odyssey PC80, and when I sold the bike a couple of weeks ago, it was still going strong. That's 8 years and a couple of months, I'd say that's pretty reliable. I put about 40,000 miles on the bike in that time.

They were on sale for $144 a couple of months ago. Great battery. 13.3 volts out of the box. And, they'll crank for a long time, if there is a problem. Some of the cheaper batteries are rated a lot higher, but don't put out that rating very long.
Steve-o

+1 Steve-O

I cant say enough good about the Shoria , for one thing I screwed up and shorted my first one.
Shoria customer service had a new one airmailed before I could box up the bad one! And emailed a shipping label for the return on the shorted battery. They tell you to turn on all electrics to "wake" the battery before a cold start in the cold. My cold starts were at about 40 degrees here in early spring. It was crazy how the bike would start strong with all electrics on. My headlight and fan are on switches, every thing was on during the cold starts. They warn you not to completely discharge, short or use a desulfating type charger/maintainer. 212 from a local parts house

Attachments

• 052113100348.jpg
    052113100348.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
Ive been running the Shorai now for about 3 yrs, maybe 4 with no problems. It always cranks strong and i just plug it in for the winter on storage mode and all is good.

I bought a USB battery a few years ago. It was a great battery and still in service in my riding mower. It started slipping down to 12.5 volts, so I decided to buy new. I bought a green Apex battery on the cheap,after being told they were the same as the USB.. It wouldn't crank well. I replaced my original starter with a 4 brush, no change. I got a replacement from Apex. The replacement wasn't any better. Christian had the same issue. Under load, they fail fast. If the bikes didn't start up right away, there were no second chances. I've put a new starter clutch in thanks to the Apex. Some people whose opinions I do value, have had no problem. The second Apex does bench duty as a power source. It was holding 12.3 volts last I checked. Just saying.

Steve is 100% correct about the apex. The numbers look good on the box but they have poor capacity. My personal experience mirrored by Steve's was about 3 to 5 seconds of full power cranking then nothing. Steve had to replace his starter clutch thanks to his apex and mine is just beginning to have that box of rocks sound. Since upgrading to the Shorai I haven't had a bit of trouble. I have purposely cranked by bike over for 10 seconds then checked the battery 13.2 and still spinning the started at full speed. The huge weight savings doesn't hurt either.

Back