Looking to buy... few questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr.zed

Reaction score
I'm selling my CBR600F4 to get a cruiser. I'm losing a lot of enjoyment out of biking being hunched over and generally in an aggressive riding position.

I live just outside Toronto Ontario and am interested in learning more about the vmax. I've heard comments about the suspension being out of date and not responsive, and the brakes weak.

Can I get some all around information on this bike? My buddy has a new HD night rod special and the bike is drop dead gorgeous and nothing I've looked at comes close to that kind of "muscle car" look. I'm new to cruisers and probably have not seen them all as well.

Any and all information is welcomed. Thanks.

Cam.

hey there!

There was a nice one at GP Bikes in Ajax...not sure if its still there. Im out oakville way and would let ya have a spin except its winter!

I have a sport bike too (ducati 749) and to me the max is far more comfortable but seems to be just as fast when you nail it...seems a bit more exciting though...your arms really pull out of the sockets.

Bad news is the brakes are no where near as good.
Low speed turning is nice and is easier ....high speed cornering is a bit......odd. But do it...you wont believe it but the vmax just isnt a cruiser like you know it...its what used to be called a standard.
Stiffen up the front forks and you will be happy for the summer.... and need i say i have absolutely killed a few vrods in my time....:clapping::eusa_dance::rofl_200:

Night Rod shmite rod... lol

The Max offers better overall engine performance and is cheaper to boot. With a few tweaks it is a great overall bike!

Here's mine with a few tweaks...

Oh and I am a sport bike guy too so I have a good perspective going...:thumbs up:

Attachments

• Vmax done #2 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #2 9-11-07.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Vmax done #8 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #8 9-11-07.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Vmax done #3 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #3 9-11-07.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Pic of SV1000S .jpg
    Pic of SV1000S .jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I bought a 2007 Max and I love it. I looked at used V-Rods, and other than the obvious good looks, I wasn't impressed. There are some pluses for the V-Rod--one gallon more fuel capacity, and fuel injection vs. VMax carbs (although mine runs great--no drivability problems, even in 30 degree weather). VMax, in my mind, is not as beautiful as VRod, but has a nasty, muscular look that I like. Looks are subjective, however--we all have our own take. No way I could touch a used V-Rod for what I paid for my Max new--and I even bought an extended warranty. People yelp about handling and braking--I drive moderately aggressive, and I haven't felt uncomfortable with what Max can or can't do. I will upgrade brakes and tires, I hope this spring, but after 6500 miles, I am satisfied with the performance--and I wonder if the Rod is any better? I doubt it. My only serious bitch with Max is the range on only four gallons--I'm looking for fuel after 100 miles, and I HATE going to the gas station--car or bike.

Good luck choosing--hope you wind up with what's right for you. They're both very good rides, so you won't be far from wrong with either.

Buy a Max, you won't regret it.

Change out the shocks in back and do front fork springs and cartridge emulators in front. Install some good pads and braided brake lines 9something I've yet to do since I really have no complaints about the brakes but maybe I don't know what I'm missing), put on a pair of ME880 Metzlers or better yet go to a rear wheel that will allow you to run radials (17" or 18" wheel) and you'll be very happy.

I've never had a Vrod, Screaming Eagle anything, Warrior, Triumph Rocket or anything else with a Vtwin even come close to beating me. The Vrod is a beautiful bike but it's still Vtwin.

Here's mine in it's current configuration.

Attachments

• sporttail3rs.JPG
    sporttail3rs.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 13
  • sporttail4rs.JPG
    sporttail4rs.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 30
Both are very nice bikes to own - but here's a couple of things to consider;

Vmax is about half the price of a night rod - Last year I paid $8000 Cdn for a 2006 max with 1200kms

So, you can either leave the extra money in your pocket or use it to upgrade the vmax to what you want. 8 grand or so difference in price can buy you a hell of alot of upgrades on the max that will make it outperform, ride beter, sound better, look better, etc... than a stock night rod. Have a look at the pics in garage section of this website or brouse other websites to see what can be done to the Vmax.

Another point is, the realibility of a vmax is well proven over the years - I had a 96 vmax with 112,000 miles on it before buying my 06. The engine was never touched and I sold it for $4500 last summer - I'm not saying that the night rod (vrod) is not reliable, but have not seen one with more than 25,000 miles on it.

Good luck on which ever one you decide on!

Mike

Buy a Max, you won't regret it.

Change out the shocks in back and do front fork springs and cartridge emulators in front. Install some good pads and braided brake lines 9something I've yet to do since I really have no complaints about the brakes but maybe I don't know what I'm missing), put on a pair of ME880 Metzlers or better yet go to a rear wheel that will allow you to run radials (17" or 18" wheel) and you'll be very happy.

I've never had a Vrod, Screaming Eagle anything, Warrior, Triumph Rocket or anything else with a Vtwin even come close to beating me. The Vrod is a beautiful bike but it's still Vtwin.

Here's mine in it's current configuration.

Those Holeshot pipes look damn good. Can you get the 120+ HP out of the bike as advertised with them?

Rusty, what about your butt dyno? Does it make your butt hairs stand up with excitement? Does the acceleration make it look like a flat peach? :)

Mark

Those Holeshot pipes look damn good. Can you get the 120+ HP out of the bike as advertised with them?

Mine are Holeshot and probably not! I will have mine on the dyno in July I hope! Still breaking it in...:whistlin:

Rusty, what about your butt dyno? Does it make your butt hairs stand up with excitement? Does the acceleration make it look like a flat peach? :)

Mark

Butt dyno says "me likey" Don't know about the hairs since I shave my junk:biglaugh:

J/K

Seriously tho' I will say that the exhaust trimmed about 2/10ths off the 1/4 mile but I think that was mostly the 22lbs weight lost from the factory exhaust.

The sound alone was worth it to me...

Rusty

Wow... they all look SO good!

I like the blacked out look, especially the V-max on the top left banner of this page.

The gas mileage does slightly concern me, only for range sake. Mainly cruising is it possible to get about 200 miles?

I just learned about an ex-work colleague who has one and I will take it out for a spin in the spring for sure.

Wow... they all look SO good!

I like the blacked out look, especially the V-max on the top left banner of this page.

The gas mileage does slightly concern me, only for range sake. Mainly cruising is it possible to get about 200 miles?

I just learned about an ex-work colleague who has one and I will take it out for a spin in the spring for sure.

I thought you might as you said the Night Rod was awesome! Which it is a very nice bike! No doubt!

200 miles on the stock tank? Maybe with some gearing changes. IE: Venture 5th gear and final drive. 130-140 you best start looking for a station... NOW! You can get a bigger tank for it and they make touring tanks that fit above the air box but they are just ungodly UGLY!

Good luck and check out the garage section on the top right. Great place to look at members bikes.:thumbs up:

Chris

I thought you might as you said the Night Rod was awesome! Which it is a very nice bike! No doubt!

200 miles on the stock tank? Maybe with some gearing changes. IE: Venture 5th gear and final drive. 130-140 you best start looking for a station... NOW! You can get a bigger tank for it and they make touring tanks that fit above the air box but they are just ungodly UGLY!

Good luck and check out the garage section on the top right. Great place to look at members bikes.:thumbs up:

Chris

Thanks!

Back