Louder stock exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckchin

Reaction score
how to make the stock exhaust louder without change the outer look?
Can just take out the siliencer or baffle?
Will it affect the HP?

You can search here for many mods that show you how to drill holes in the end caps or how to gut the inside of the cans. Horsepower will remain about the same. Headers are needed to see any real improvements.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

The normal mod is 5, 3/8" to 1/2" holes spaced evenly under the end cap, then riveting the cap back on with standoffs. That and a 1/2" inch hole down the center either punched or drilled. I haven't heard any that really sound great but normally no jetting change is necessary. No HP will be gained but it will be louder...

Good Luck,

Last edited:
Or, you could buy my Jardines slip-ons which sound really great, look fantastic and weigh about a 1/4 of the OEM mufflers. Power is prolly the same, but less weight = faster :)

My friend wanna sell me the Silvertail KO2 http://www.baymotorcycles.ie/custom_exhausts.htm
but I can't find this item info for VMAX and I don't have any knowledge to mod this...

These are for Harleys only - won't fit a Vmax. If you like that kind of look you can get Cobra slip-ons, but they're deafeningly loud and make you lose quite a lot of HP! :confused2:

Still prefer the stock looks,any link guide step by step mod or dril the stock exhaust?

The way drilled my stock exhaust is as follows:
I used a drill on the end cap rivets and removed the cap. I drilled 1/2" hole in the end pipe in between the rivets. I ran it a while like this for a while but didn't like the look so I riveted the end cap back on using some SS washers as spacers. It looked much better but in the end the sound was only a little louder and didn't sound as deep as I wanted. Here is a picture of my mod before I put the endcap back on.

Attachments

• IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 104
A louder stock exhaust?...
That is somewhat of an oxymoron isn't it? I understand you mentioned the look of the stock exhaust but I'm betting you will love the sound of a Kerker 4-2-1 at full song even more! Yeah it's more money and more labor. You won't get a bunch of cash for your stock exhaust so you might as well hold on to it. Honestly Bro, I've heard the drilled stock exhaust and it still sounds like crap! Nothing worse than a lot of noise with no speed to go with it. Hey, just like a Harley come to think of it and the Harley sounds better doing it. You could probably find somebody that has already tried this and looking to dump off their failed experiment.

A louder stock exhaust?...
That is somewhat of an oxymoron isn't it? I understand you mentioned the look of the stock exhaust but I'm betting you will love the sound of a Kerker 4-2-1 at full song even more! Yeah it's more money and more labor. You won't get a bunch of cash for your stock exhaust so you might as well hold on to it. Honestly Bro, I've heard the drilled stock exhaust and it still sounds like crap! Nothing worse than a lot of noise with no speed to go with it. Hey, just like a Harley come to think of it and the Harley sounds better doing it. You could probably find somebody that has already tried this and looking to dump off their failed experiment.

Now my feelings are hurt PatMax, I must have a magic helmet because my drilled stockers don't sound all that bad to me! Defiantly not the sound of a Kerker set up,but to me it's a cheap first step to raise the exhaust noise a little to let the cage drivers know your there. I am ready to step up to the full aftermarket header system now though. "That's it ,my crap sounding bike is parked till I upgrade the exhaust!",time to put the battery tender on it!
Just joking of course.:bang head::bang head::bang head:
Bill

Drilled stockers sound like they're blowing a lot of air. They're louder for sure, but they're not loud.

IMO better than nothing, but not worth ruining the stock cans.

Sent from my iPhone4 using special algorithms and data nodes!

Still prefer the stock looks,any link guide step by step mod or dril the stock exhaust?
southponto.jpg
I know what u mean.I like the looks of the stock pipe's too.This is how I drilled mine,strait through the face plate's.Start with a 1/8 drill & work your way up to 1/2 if u want.Not real loud,but they sound great when your out on the road.IMO:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Back